Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 PM
New User

JCCOTE is starting off with a positive reputation.
AXLE SWAP ON A 1995 BRONCO

Hi I have a 1995 full size Bronco that I am doing a axle swap. I installed a straight front dana 44 axle with lockers and 410 gears, out of my buddies rolled 78 Bronco. I want to now install the 9 inch dana 44 rear axle out of it into my Bronco. I know I am going to have a issue with the vss that is on the 8.8 because of the auto trans, but can I get a bypass kit and where. or does any one know how to do this with out a kit. thanks it will be more of a mountain toy but I still will like to drive it on the road occasionally.

Last edited by JCCOTE; 08-12-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: forgot a couple things
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Junior User

jowens1126 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Southwest performance. Home (link to their website)

Its $300. Pricey, but it works.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...9a&oe=54750E87Click the image to open in full size.

Southwest performance VSS relocation kit - $300
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM
New User

I will look into that thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Post Fiend

Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.
not gaining any strength by going with a 9" rear diff.
4.88 gears/Aussie Front/rear open
Edelbrock efi intake JBA shorty,CustomY pipe/exhaust
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=4158
Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM
New User

So you're saying it will be cheaper just to buy new gears for the 8. 8
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
If you're wheeling hard enough to need a solid front then a 9" is a good upgrade to get away from the C-clips.

As for dealing with the VSS, many pre 92 rigs have a VSS that is combined/in line with the speedo cable on the tail housing. Swap in a early(87-91) transfer case to get the speedo output they are rather cheap and common then use that VSS. If you have an electric shift TC this gives you a chance to go manual while you're at it.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/2...-003.jpg%20alt=
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
New User

Ah the transfer case. Thank you. I bet I can find one of those. I am a hour away from moab so ya we put pur vehicles to the test. But I still like to cruise around town in them as well.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Post Fiend

Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.
the weakness with the 8.8 is more with the tubes/pumpkin rotating so welding the tubes to the center section fixes that. both axles are 31 spline. I have wheeled my bronco pretty hard and have never had issues with the 8.8. I also rarely hear of anyone loosing their axle due to a C clip failure. the Axle shaft itself would be more prone to failure.

in the end its your call. your rear driveshaft will need modified or see if there is the correct pinion flange too allow the 9" to hook up to your current stock shaft.
4.88 gears/Aussie Front/rear open
Edelbrock efi intake JBA shorty,CustomY pipe/exhaust
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=4158
Old 08-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns View Post
the weakness with the 8.8 is more with the tubes/pumpkin rotating so welding the tubes to the center section fixes that. both axles are 31 spline. I have wheeled my bronco pretty hard and have never had issues with the 8.8. I also rarely hear of anyone loosing their axle due to a C clip failure. the Axle shaft itself would be more prone to failure.
I've seen a lot more C-clip failures then tube failures, but yes that's an issue.

Yes both have truck versions that are 31 spline. Torque strength is an interesting comparison between the two. The 9" tends to be just slightly stronger in relation to torque application due to the unique pinion design, the third bearing and that it's lower. This does however tend to make it prone to overheating.

Axle shaft failure is a point in favor of the 9", not because the 9" has stronger axles stock, but three other reasons. Because of the bearing and axle retention design the 9" is much safer when an axle breaks, because on the 8.8 the bearing is the race this tends to wear and stress the axle, and aftermarket axles are much more available.

This all favors the 9" for JCCOTE purposes, in a pickup that was hauling loads the 8.8 might have a slight advantage do to the heating issue but in that case they really need a 10.25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns View Post
in the end its your call. your rear driveshaft will need modified or see if there is the correct pinion flange too allow the 9" to hook up to your current stock shaft.
No need to bother with the driveshaft or yoke, conversion U-joints are commonly available. Conversion U-joints are one size on one bar and a different size on the other.

It really is a very easy swap, done it a couple times. The brake parts even swap, all but the backing plate. So JCCOTE if your brake parts are in better shape swap them, or at least hang onto them for when you need them.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 08-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Junior User

jowens1126 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A stock 9" is actually rated for less than a stock 8.8. They are very close though.
You see people put a 9" on as an upgrade, its not a stock one though. A 9" has many advantages over the 8.8. It also has some weakness's the 8.8 doesnt have. But as with anything, there is a solution. Currie makes a very nice 9" with braces for about $4500. It truely is an upgrade over the 8.8. They actually make them so they are as Heavy Duty as a D60. Theres also some very nice stuff from Ruff Stuff that is just as nice.

The currie is below.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the one from Ruff Stuff below....
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
..... for about $4500.
LOL, that would easily get a KP60, 10.25, ARBs in both ends, and a set of 8 lug wheels.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 AM
Senior User

jasoncarpenter1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteFord View Post
LOL, that would easily get a KP60, 10.25, ARBs in both ends, and a set of 8 lug wheels.
X2 I paid half that for both Plus gears and Lockers.....................
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 AM