Sponsored by: Moser

New Garage for Bad Habit

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 AM
bad_habit_F350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Garage for Bad Habit

I have started building the new garage for Bad Habit and wanted to share with all of you. I believe the garage will be completed sometime early next week. The doors will not get installed until the following week. I will add pictures a couple of more times as it is finished. Here is the link to that album.
New Garage for Bad Habit by bad_habit_F350 | Ford-Trucks

Old 08-12-2014, 03:29 AM
rockittsled
Elder User
YOU MAKE ME JEALOUS, YOU, YOU.....!! Looks nice, you have all the tool locations planned out yet?

Old 08-17-2014, 05:35 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Nice shop, are there plans for 6" I beam with a hoist trolley/chain lift in there somewhere? Or are you going mobile lift point?

Shop tips, wire 220 in more than one place, run airlines to at least both sides of the shop, put the 220 air compressor in a separate or walled in area....dang noisy thing.

Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
As one who works out of a 20x20 garage and a driveway.
Put me in the jealous category.
Nice.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 AM
bad_habit_F350
Freshman User
Garage interior

Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Nice shop, are there plans for 6" I beam with a hoist trolley/chain lift in there somewhere? Or are you going mobile lift point?

Shop tips, wire 220 in more than one place, run airlines to at least both sides of the shop, put the 220 air compressor in a separate or walled in area....dang noisy thing.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have maxed my budget out to get the size, therefore I will have all winter to design the inside.
This is Phase I and will have the garage built, water, electric, gas, cable and phone line run underground. The lights, garage door openers and the gas heater installed downstairs.
I have already purchased a 80K gas garage heater that I will be hanging downstairs. I am currently designing the electrical system. Back in April, before I even had the building permit, I purchased (six) 4 lamp 4ft ceiling lights and a wall switch with occupancy sensor activator, (2) carriage lamps for outside garage doors in front, (one) carriage lamp for man door and (4) 500 Watt - Quartz Halogen Round-back Flood Light Fixtures. I also purchased (4) motion sensors, one for each flood lamp.

Phase II will be next spring. I will be putting the air compressor upstairs in a sound proof enclosed area. I will make this area large enough for a furnace and water heater. I have already purchased a 80K gas garage heater that I will be hanging downstairs. The furnace will be for the upstairs. This way I will have two heat zones, one for downstairs and one for upstairs.

Phase III, not sure when this will transpire but really looking forward to this phase. Finish loft area with bathroom, 65" flat screen, 3 or 4 lazy boy's and a couple of sofa's.

Any more suggestions would be helpful. As you can see from my description above, I do not plan on doing a lot of garage time but will be spending more time in the loft than downstairs. This is more of a toy barn than a work barn. Thanks, Chad

Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Sell the house to finance the shop...lol, sounds like a very well thought out plan. Ever stop buy here for more free ideas? Garage & Workshop - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Make the air compressor easy to get to and or work on/replace parts, ya never know if you go box it in what will happen.

You can never have enough lights, drop light on reels are handy.

Retractable air line reels mounted up high in all 4 corners, or at least 2 in cross corners. Same for drop cords and have lots of 4 pt plug boxes along the walls.

Have at least one truck stall wide enough to be able to have both sides of the doors open. You might loose a bit of work bench, so for that far wall work bench put it on HD hinges?

Set up a corner for welding with 220 (even if you do not own a welder) now and have 220 accessible from the outside. Use a sheet of roof tin for back splash/fire proofing the walls, same for behind the chop saw.

Fire ext fire ext fire ext, real man sized ones, NOT wally world ones. One in each corner unobstructed and mounted about 3 ft off the floor.

A mobile lifting device like the one I posted is the bomb in a shop with all concrete floors. Beats a cherry any day, well sort of. Speaking of all concrete you using all steel or getting the "fiber mesh" in it? Be ready to coat the floor with some good quality gas, oil, solvent, blood what ever proof stuff, cause that fiber can work its way loose and if you are not a creeper kinda guy the fiber can be a pain. Its like flopping around in...well fiberglass cause it is what it is.

What are you using for the interior wall covering? Sheet rock is subject to damage, plywood/OSB is tougher, sheet metal like the roof, is battle proof and pressure washable.

What ever you do, white reflects the light the best, heck even paint the floor, we do it to aircraft hangers.... Have fun, take pics and put a thread in the shop link.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Thanks for the garage link Rich.
Never even knew it was there.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Wow you guys need to drive out of your town and see what's on the other side of the hill, I hear they have a big ol lake that goes so far I can't see the other side. lol

Its all good, glad I could show you I have way to much time on my hands.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.

Lol here you go.....take a trip on me, sorry gas and snacks is on you.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I hear they have a big ol lake that goes so far I can't see the other side. lol
I was over there when I was younger and tore the place up.
Gonna have to drag my azz back out there.
Actually that's why I built my truck.
Wow, gettin' kinda deep.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Oh5dually
Freshman User
Dang, I would contract you do to mine next! Looks good.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
I am actually easterly across that big ol lake as we type this. For real....no kidding.

My "tear it up days are done for too", cause I done tore it length wise half off in a bar fight with a drunk, one eyed, heavily armed "she devil" that was a part time hooker/cashier, named Alice in a seedy back ally all night boot leg bingo parlor/circle K and invisible tattoo shop AKA a "all pain-no stain" shop.

All I wanted was a pack of luck strikes and a chocolate yoohoo (to frat style shotgun later) and a day glo collar and a mini slim jim for my dog Skip.

Now I am down to 6" and walk with a limp or I go in a right hand circle all the time. It's hell at times to just get across a street.

Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chad I'm not going to tell you one thing to do in "YOUR" shop, I work 11 hours in one everyday, Can we become friends and maybe spend some time in that loft? I got lots to do on my SuperDuty but that can wait, I can just see 2 zone heat, black leather recliners, refridgerator, Budwiser? Honey im going to Ohio this weekend be back never.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Can Skip and I stop by, I am out of choco yoohoo and on the road north easterly anyway.

I will leave Alice in the trunk....

Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's funny, we started the ultimate man cave thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 AM
bad_habit_F350
Freshman User
good ideas

Sell the house to finance the shop...lol, sounds like a very well thought out plan. Ever stop buy here for more free ideas? Garage & Workshop - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Make the air compressor easy to get to and or work on/replace parts, ya never know if you go box it in what will happen.

You can never have enough lights, drop light on reels are handy.

Retractable air line reels mounted up high in all 4 corners, or at least 2 in cross corners. Same for drop cords and have lots of 4 pt plug boxes along the walls.

Have at least one truck stall wide enough to be able to have both sides of the doors open. You might loose a bit of work bench, so for that far wall work bench put it on HD hinges?

Set up a corner for welding with 220 (even if you do not own a welder) now and have 220 accessible from the outside. Use a sheet of roof tin for back splash/fire proofing the walls, same for behind the chop saw.

Fire ext fire ext fire ext, real man sized ones, NOT wally world ones. One in each corner unobstructed and mounted about 3 ft off the floor.

A mobile lifting device like the one I posted is the bomb in a shop with all concrete floors. Beats a cherry any day, well sort of. Speaking of all concrete you using all steel or getting the "fiber mesh" in it? Be ready to coat the floor with some good quality gas, oil, solvent, blood what ever proof stuff, cause that fiber can work its way loose and if you are not a creeper kinda guy the fiber can be a pain. Its like flopping around in...well fiberglass cause it is what it is.

What are you using for the interior wall covering? Sheet rock is subject to damage, plywood/OSB is tougher, sheet metal like the roof, is battle proof and pressure washable.

What ever you do, white reflects the light the best, heck even paint the floor, we do it to aircraft hangers.... Have fun, take pics and put a thread in the shop link.
Fantastic ideas, I really like the hinged work table idea, thank you. I am not sure I would have thought of that one. I did plan on making my first work bench out of my old solid wood front door that I have been saving, mounting it on a set of legs and keeping it portable. Maybe I'll use the hinge idea for my first work bench instead. Also thanks for the garage/workshop link.

Quick Reply: New Garage for Bad Habit