1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Suggestion on Backup Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
R.Parker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Suggestion on Backup Lighting

I have done a search but nothing that i have found is exactly what i am looking for. I am looking for ways to increase the light behind my 2014 F250 when backing up. I have read about lights on the hitch, in the bumper on the rear or replacing the tail lights. I am looking for suggestions on what you have found to be the longest lasting and best solution for this

Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
As you know, whether is a Dodge, GM or Ford the OEM backup lights meet the fed regs and that’s about it. There are several (many) aux backup light kits, some look better than others (and if it’s a work truck, who cares as long as it lights up everything) and several have posted their approach as well. I took a bit of a different approach.....while I do periodically tow (my 65 mustang on a tandem trailer), I wanted something a little stealthy that would work and look as if it was oem-.....while the flash on the camera reduces the actual effect, I mounted 2- 55 watt lights under the rear fenders, mounted in a manner to project out at a 45 degree angle down & away from the vehicle. Activated by a 40 amp relay & mounted in the front drivers side kick panel (& actuated through the vehicles backup lights), we used the oem wiring harness & access ports to provide all the routing. Utilizing lighting techniques used by rescue personnel (indirect to reduce/eliminate possible blinding as compared to law enforcement who uses direct lighting to see evidence), the lighting projects approx 2-3 feet from & completely around each corner on the truck and because the mounting location is above the top of the bumper, light is reflected onto the hitch area as well (you can see the reflection on top of the exhaust tips). The aux lights are visually hidden, protected from road debris (including flung by the tires) and turn on automatically when placed in reverse. Power to the relay is obtained through an unused 20 amp circuit at the fuse box.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...aux-lights.jpg

Old 08-11-2014, 06:17 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
I added a set of Tuff led lights using factory holes in the hitch. The lights are in a flood pattern. I have them wired into a switch.

Tucked up and can only be seen when kneeling down.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
R.Parker
New User
Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
I added a set of Tuff led lights using factory holes in the hitch. The lights are in a flood pattern. I have them wired into a switch.

Tucked up and can only be seen when kneeling down.

How do you like this set up? also do you know which lights they are?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 AM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Originally Posted by R.Parker
How do you like this set up? also do you know which lights they are?
I love them. I also have a set up front. For an inexpensive light they really throw a lot of light.

They are Tuff Led lights. I bought them from Amazon.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Very nice grimreaper.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:46 PM
OneTon350
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is what I did.
I bought a set similar to these:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...&t_pn=WAR63816
and tapped and screwed the mounting bracket into Hitch mount bracket.
I hooked them up to one of the up-fitter switches so I can turn it on
whenever I want. I suppose you could wire it to your reverse lights.
I usually have to change them every few years when they burn out but
there are plenty of light choices that cost more money and will probably last longer.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM
asdrew
Tuned
Ditto for me:

These were inexpensive and light up the ground very well, 9 years and still burning strong. They are connected to the backup light circuit, but soon they will also be connected to one of my custom upfitter switches along with the camera for better night time trailer hookups.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
I had the same set as the above lights on two trucks and they finally rusted out. I replaced then with some $25 LED flood lights from ebay, they are awesome!!

I also have replaced my backup bulbs with retro solutions 9W LED's so it is like day light back there with both of these on!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 PM
R.Parker
New User
Originally Posted by Trophy_23
I had the same set as the above lights on two trucks and they finally rusted out. I replaced then with some $25 LED flood lights from ebay, they are awesome!!

I also have replaced my backup bulbs with retro solutions 9W LED's so it is like day light back there with both of these on!
I am liking the lights mounted on the hitch, it is safe to drill through the tubing to attach the lights or did you mount them a different way? also are these wired to the reverse lights or an upfitter? is it possible to have them triggered while in reverse and then on demand while attached to an upfitter?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Mine are upfitter only. They are zip tied on with HUGE zip ties, that hold on a right angle bracket from the old lights. They are 'hung' from that bracket. Maybe this picture will help show how they are mounted.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Redrkt
Senior User
These have served me well for many years and are very reliable

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...375_0212867560

Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 AM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrkt
These have served me well for many years and are very reliable

NAPA AUTO PARTS
I have one of these on my XJ Cherokee. Not as bright as some of the KC and LED stuff, but they are very heavy duty.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 AM
asdrew
Tuned
Mine came with zip ties to mount them with and I was skeptical, but they have held well for 9 years without getting loose, sliding, or breaking.

I've read some things that lead me to believe it would be OK to feed them through both the reverse light circuit and an upfitter switch, but unless I can confirm that I will probably use a diode or relay to isolate the 2 circuits.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't use reverse for long time periods, just the normal back up to a trailer or back a trailer into a spot and done.

With that said I am thinking of installing something like a headlight bulb in the stock reverse housings. I will never have the reverse lights on long enough to cause any heat damage and I think it would be great light. (I am an OEM look junky)

The only alternative I am entertaining is grafting a fog/driving light into the rear tail light housing so it can handle the heat but still have the stock look.

Quick Reply: Looking for Suggestion on Backup Lighting