Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Paint & Bodywork
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Paint & Bodywork SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Junior User

FilmCarp is starting off with a positive reputation.
84 Ford F250 Cowling removal

Hello, I am trying to remove the cowl on my new project. The area under the cowl is chock full of nests and debris. I removed all of the screws along the firewall and the wiper arms. I can't get it to slide out from under the chrome windshield trim. Are there screws under there? Is it tough to get that trim off without damaging it? I'm sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I couldn't find it elsewhere. Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Contact a local windshield outfit or body shop about removing the lower chrome trim---it can be a bear to do without damaging it.

There are a number of large clips that can be released with the proper tool or something improvised but all this requires you being very careful to not break the W/S or damage the trim.

Once its off you'll see how it attaches, its easily re-installed afterward.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Junior User

Thank you very much. The last thing that I want to do is damage the trim. I guess I'm right that there are cowl screws under there?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I don't believe there are----the cowl might have clips on the far right and left sides where it runs along the fenders.

Mind you its been some time since I've messed with one from that era but I don't recall any screws near the windshield. IIRC clips holding the molding in place are part of the rear edge of the molding.

Sorry I can't be more specific---whatever you do proceed carefully to protect your molding---those are hard to find these days.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Junior User

Thanks. I will be careful. My shop manual is in the mail, so patience is called for.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Junior User

Well I got the cowling off. There were screws down through the grating as well, buried by debris. Now its all nice and clean in there. I'm thinking about installing some screening on the back on the back of the cowl before I install it.

The next part to look for is the rain channel that screws into the firewall along the back of the hood. Mine is pretty much shot. I can't find it in my service manual, or at Rock Auto or JC Whitney. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 PM