1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Relocation advice - sold my house

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:04 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it's time to buy an old airstream to haul behind the truck and try a few of these places for a few months. There are a lot of beautiful places on your list so it's going to be very hard to chose one and not say "I should have ..." Have fun

Old 09-17-2014, 11:50 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I reread the whole entire thread start to finish (for like the 4th time).... and I think it is time I solicit additional from those who posted teases...

Please those of you who name dropped do a little expansion if you will, link some photos from your old childhood spent in X city/area, add some vacation photos the last time you visited X - feed me more data on these:

Santa Barbara
Southern France
scottsdale az
ellensburg wa
gulf coast al
prescott az
payson az

I've also been looking at Sal Luis Obispo, Santa Rosa (but not San Fran or San Jose - think close without being *in* the city) so.

I'll take all the coastal WA and coastal OR you guys care to add too...

I hate beggin, but please guys if you have sun glinting off the hood from the last rays of a beautiful sunset, share!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...here goes. This is my attempt at giving you some basic info via pics of Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Alabama. I've done photography for a long time and had to limit myself because I literally have thousands of pics from the beach.

Every October we have The National Shrimp Festival (Home - My Shrimp Fest) I've been every year solid for over 10 years now. It draws local as well as famous musicians. Here are a couple ShrimpFest pics from over the years. I did the photography for them for a couple years.

Above: I'm on the roof of the condo next to ShrimpFest to get an overall pic for the magazine article.

Above: Me and some of our ShrimpFest regular group. Their wives are hiding behind them...lol. Normal size guys on the right, I'm the big ogre on the left.

Above: My longtime friend and recording artist Dani McCulloch. Home | danimcculloch.com

Above: Me and Dani before her gig.

Below: Then we have my favorite band ever from Gulf Shores...The Relics. Here they are playing at LuLu's (Jimmy Buffett's sister). Every place has live music during the summer...which is most of the year here.

Below: And Adam Holt playing another nite...

Below: The beach by moonlight...

Below: Crabs I caught..they are everywehre!

Above: Hiding in the rocks.

Above: Crabs caught while snorkeling!!

Below: Various coastal birds....

Below: And a few remaining beach pics....

Above: Something to kill yourself on if you are old....ask me how I know.

Above: Coming back in from a Parasailing trip.

Above: Fishing boat returning.

Above: Cool beach house.

Above: My favorite place to eat.

Above: One of my snorkeling spots. Rock jetties at Alabama Point in Orange Beach (which is 5 minutes from Gulf Shores)

Above: Sunrise at the beach. Great time for pics and for snorkeling. Lots of activity early in the mornings under water.

Above: Walkway to the jetties and a great beach.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 PM
brain75
Elder User
Do you happen to have gig with the board of tourism?

Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm ready to move there now...great pics

Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome pics Wayne, I could handle that.
Anyways, Bryan, come on up and visit our Beautiful British Columbia. Any where on the west side of the Rockies The best kept secret in the world. We have nearly everything, and close proximity to some quite large cities. We have an abundance of activities for all seasons and the weather is awesome winter and summer. We are close to the US Border, both highway 95 and highway 93 head straight on down to the Mexican border in the south.

http://bcmag.ca/galleries

This might not be your "cup of tea" but I thought I would toss this into this great thread.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:05 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
texas california florida and arizona, way to crowded. come to alaska or wyoming.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM
brain75
Elder User
This past weekend I pulled 2 more trees - an apple and a pretty decent sized cedar, fit it in 3 more loads and got a short vid clip of a Working Ford Truck for you guys I will get posted soon.

Ben, I booked a vacation for Lake Travis in December. You gonna have time to drink a beer with me sometime between the 5th and the 11th?
(It's just a vacation at this point not a relocation scout mission, I gave up on Austin.)

Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Great pic's Wayne. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:21 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip 1970 talks about Texas being crowded, where else can you drive about 900 miles across Texas on IH 10 and not hit a traffic light or a stop sign!
TractormanBill

Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bryan
Look forward to beers in December - just drop me a note as it get's closer. Lake Travis is a bit low at this point - 35% Full - just check to make sure you are renting where there is water. Lake LBJ is about 50 miles out of town & is constant level (Full of water), Horseshoe Bay Resort is nice.....

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I retired in May of 2013, moved from NJ to rural PA I'm surrounded by Amish farms and there all very nice people! Lots of vintage tin out here along with great swapmeets and car shows, it's very quiet and a good place to live

Old 10-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jafo56
I retired in May of 2013, moved from NJ to rural PA I'm surrounded by Amish farms and there all very nice people! Lots of vintage tin out here along with great swapmeets and car shows, it's very quiet and a good place to live
are the amish collecting old cars?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not suggest moving to CA. Visit for a vacation, yes, but do not make your home state. Taxes keep going up for fewer and fewer services. The state invites illegal aliens in with open arms and provides well fare, driver's licenses, schooling thru college and millions so that they can get free counselling on how to navigate the red tape involved in settling here. Now, in January, they are predicting that our gasoline costs will jump by 25 -75 cents per gallon because of the new State Cap and Trade law. Most of that money will go to the new bullet train that nobody wants. (I thing it will provide service from San Jose to Modesto, or some other place that nobody is looking to get to at 200 mph.) Also crime is on the rise and the roads are falling apart. Add to that that the environmentalists are running amok and your property can be designated as a wetlands or the habitat of the fringe toed lizard, this is not the place to live! Jag

Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
i never seen so many immigrants before tell i went to texas and heck i lived in arizona for 8 years! and its not the good kind of immigrants like mexicans, its the other ones from them weird countrys that have the kinda traditions and values you dont want in america. houston is crawling with them. i was lucky to get out alive i think. never feared for my familys safety as much as being there.. was like being back in kuwait where i would pray not to see another local beat their wife on the highways.

Quick Reply: Relocation advice - sold my house