Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random small problems 1988 F250

Old 08-10-2014, 11:35 PM
EKlev
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random small problems 1988 F250

My 351w runs like a champ never have a problem. However small problems keep coming up that I would like second opinions on.

•Every time I start the truck it squeaks. Replaced serpentine belt but still does. Possible tensioner needs replaced?

•Truck randomly goes out of gear. Every now and then I'll start the truck go down the street then it randomly just goes out of gear. I leave it in drive, rev the engine some and it will go back in gear. Has automatic transmission and plenty of fluid. This isn't an every day problem only once or twice a week.

•Front brakes drag. Put new calipers on, new brake pads, new master cylinder, put new brake lines on about 2 years ago and still continues to drag.

Any opinions that would help any of the problems are appreciated.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
My 351w runs like a champ never have a problem. However small problems keep coming up that I would like second opinions on.

•Every time I start the truck it squeaks. Replaced serpentine belt but still does. Possible tensioner needs replaced?

Could be tensioner, With the truck NOT running, Grab some WD-40 with the straw attached and spray the back side of the tensioner if the squealing stops or lessens then you probably have the pulley going bad due to lack of grease. BUT I've also seen brand new belts squeal too, especially is it was a bottom of the line autozone belt.

•Truck randomly goes out of gear. Every now and then I'll start the truck go down the street then it randomly just goes out of gear. I leave it in drive, rev the engine some and it will go back in gear. Has automatic transmission and plenty of fluid. This isn't an every day problem only once or twice a week.

Not to sure about the trans, I can't remember if 88' had the, #1, coil packs or if it was still #2, vacuum modulated. If #1 unplug the harness and check for bad or corroded wires, IF #2 check for Broken Vacuum line or bad modulator. When was the last time you changed the fluid and trans filter?

•Front brakes drag. Put new calipers on, new brake pads, new master cylinder, put new brake lines on about 2 years ago and still continues to drag.

If you put new everything on including new rubber lines and they're still hanging closed then I'd probably look at the portioning (Metering valve).

Maybe someone with more ideas will chime in for you.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 PM
EKlev
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Mike1;14574485]My 351w runs like a champ never have a problem. However small problems keep coming up that I would like second opinions on.

Could be tensioner, With the truck NOT running, Grab some WD-40 with the straw attached and spray the back side of the tensioner if the squealing stops or lessens then you probably have the pulley going bad due to lack of grease. BUT I've also seen brand new belts squeal too, especially is it was a bottom of the line autozone belt.

Not to sure about the trans, I can't remember if 88' had the, #1, coil packs or if it was still #2, vacuum modulated. If #1 unplug the harness and check for bad or corroded wires, IF #2 check for Broken Vacuum line or bad modulator. When was the last time you changed the fluid and trans filter?

[COLOR=Blue]If you put new everything on including new rubber lines and they're still hanging closed then I'd probably look at the portioning.

I change the oil and all the other trans fluids power steering and all that more than I should just out of boredom so I don't think that would be a problem. I'm not too sure but I think it's vacuum modulated I'll have to do some research real quick. As for the other quick fixes I'll have to go try them tomorrow I never even thought of some of those. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
Well post back and let us know if it's fixed or how it turned out. It's always good when the solution has been found so it might help someone else.