Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

truck idles forever but shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
tbonrod
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck idles forever but shuts off while driving

93 7.3 idi f250 shuts off while driving 10 minutes or if i rev the engine past about 2000rpm any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Check the fuel filter, when was the last time it was replaced?

If replacing the filter doesn't fix the problem, the lift pump might be dying.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In addition to the above things, the 'when revved past 2000RPM' makes me think it could be a sticky pump -- if you rev it high, hold it there, and then back it down to idle /slowly/, does it die? Or does it only die if you back it off quickly?

I've got an IP which does the latter -- I ended up adjusting the alignment dowel in the back of the pump inwards, which affects how far it can back off. It's worked, though my idle is always high and it still droops if I let it off from 3000 or so before recovering, but it's drivable.

If you have that problem, I'd recommend the old trick of filling the fuel filter with ATF, idling the truck for 30s, letting it sit overnight, and then running it hard. It might just clean it up.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM
tbonrod
New User
auto trans

Originally Posted by Macrobb
In addition to the above things, the 'when revved past 2000RPM' makes me think it could be a sticky pump -- if you rev it high, hold it there, and then back it down to idle /slowly/, does it die? Or does it only die if you back it off quickly?

I've got an IP which does the latter -- I ended up adjusting the alignment dowel in the back of the pump inwards, which affects how far it can back off. It's worked, though my idle is always high and it still droops if I let it off from 3000 or so before recovering, but it's drivable.

If you have that problem, I'd recommend the old trick of filling the fuel filter with ATF, idling the truck for 30s, letting it sit overnight, and then running it hard. It might just clean it up.
It does it when i let off quickly. Is auto trans fluid gonna burn out safely?

Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM
tbonrod
New User
new filter

Originally Posted by tecgod13
Check the fuel filter, when was the last time it was replaced?

If replacing the filter doesn't fix the problem, the lift pump might be dying.
I have a new filter in it I guess I'll start looking at a new pump.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tbonrod
It does it when i let off quickly. Is auto trans fluid gonna burn out safely?
OK, that sounds like a sticky IP.
Yes, it will burn out just fine. It's slightly more viscous, but will go through the pump just fine, and burns plenty good. It's also got a lot more detergents in it, so it will dissolve deposits... provided you get the trans fluid into the pump and let it sit there overnight where it can dissolve stuff.

What's interesting is that I did this with my truck. I expected that when the ATF hit the engine, it would start to smoke, being thicker... I let it idle, then drove it a bit... never did get it to smoke, and I had filled the fuel/water separator entirely with ATF, so it had to go somewhere.
Either way, the worst case is it just doesn't help you. Best case is it cleans it up, and the cost of a quart of ATF is pretty low.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM
tbonrod
New User
atf

Originally Posted by Macrobb
OK, that sounds like a sticky IP.
Yes, it will burn out just fine. It's slightly more viscous, but will go through the pump just fine, and burns plenty good. It's also got a lot more detergents in it, so it will dissolve deposits... provided you get the trans fluid into the pump and let it sit there overnight where it can dissolve stuff.

What's interesting is that I did this with my truck. I expected that when the ATF hit the engine, it would start to smoke, being thicker... I let it idle, then drove it a bit... never did get it to smoke, and I had filled the fuel/water separator entirely with ATF, so it had to go somewhere.
Either way, the worst case is it just doesn't help you. Best case is it cleans it up, and the cost of a quart of ATF is pretty low.
how much atf? Ounces? A quarter, half of the filter? What do recommend?? Thanks

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Fill it up completely.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:36 PM
oldblue89
Senior User
It's possible that something is gummed up/sticking inside your injection pump, in this case I would suggest filling the filter with Diesel Kleen (previous poster suggested ATF which is a cheaper alternative) and running your truck hard, I mean mashing that pedal up hills. It is also possible that your fuel pump is not supplying adequate fuel to your injection pump, might also want to inspect the rubber line going to the fuel pump on the lower passenger side front corner of the engine, make sure that line is not kinked.