Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Junior User

easyrider47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1950 F1 truck (o)

need some help with repairing floor.......previous owner did not cut out any of the rusted floor and did a poor job of patching over..........

..thanks for you help
Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
Pics would be a help. Replacement floor panels are one option.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Freshman User

Oh5dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pics would be great!
It also depends on how you would like to do so. There are a couple of different methods! Anywhere from cutting, welding, grinding to rust encapsulators.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It really depends upon the extent of the rust. Mine started out looking to be a simple patch job but it quickly became apparent that I needed to do it right and weld in new panels. Make sure that you remove some panels and the front fenders to decide which of these replacement panels you need.

Dennis Carpenter sells the full floor panel for $600 - a bit pricey and the back of my floor was in good condition. I got mine for $75 per side (front only) from Northern Classic Truck here in Michigan. They are only just across town so I saved the shipping too.

Click the image to open in full size.
Left side after floor removal

Right side at A pillar had the worst rust

Right side . . . you will need to trim the panels to fit your need.

And you may need to make some odd pieces to fit where the patch panel does not cover. Home Depot sells 1' or 2 ' sheet steel in 16 gauge. You may have to search through their stock as they usually only have the thinner 22 gauge in plentiful stock.

Dennis Carpenter full floor - $600 !

This is what I bought for $75 from Northern Classic Truck

If your floor is gone along with the bottom of the A pillars you can buy this assembly from NCT but it is $470. In hindsight I might have been better off getting a pair of these. Check your truck carefully to see how far the rust has gone.

A couple other tips:
  1. AXRacer has done some great posts here on FTE on mig welding. You might want do a search on his name to find them.
  2. EASB Easy-grind welding wire makes the finishing much easier.
  3. Eastwood weld-through primer is good to use on the surfaces that will be blind after the job is complete.
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .
Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM