1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Well, it's almost time. 51 F1

Old 08-10-2014, 12:10 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's almost time. 51 F1

I will be transitioning out of the USMC and headed back to MI where my 51 F1 is. So I figured I'd start this thread to toss ideas out and show build progress. I am also going to be finishing my 69 Mustang at the same time so it will be slow at first. Im currently working on getting some steel front fenders.

Here are my plans for the truck:

Go the route of least resistance and do a nice powerplant with a nice interior and the patina'd look on the outside that everyone seems to be enjoying as of now.

My truck appears to originally be baby blue (not sure of the exact name) but I like the idea of baby blue interior with black trim, nicely painted dash and I'll make a headliner to match the seat.

I have an 01 Cobra engine that I need to reassemble and a Tremec 3650 to mate up to the engine. I have been collecting parts for the truck over the last little bit so Im almost set on the mechanical/electronics. I have a stand-alone engine harness and an 01 and 03 ECU to run the engine. (ill be using the 01 due to not supercharging the engine)

I have a 2001 Explorer 8.8 with limited slip/3.73/disc brakes and some spring perches. Im looking at taking a couple leafs out and moving the spring mounting points up (seems to be a common thing and better than the axle flip due to no frame altering)

I purchased an 08 Crown Vic front end, YES, I know, its too wide for the frame. I have seen one thread where someone narrowed it with success on a show truck so Im going to attempt this route. I plan on chopping off the blocks for the motor mounts, cutting a few inches out of the center of the cradle. Then I will TIG the cradle and reenforce it with a little fab work. I plan on boxing the frame in where the cradle bolts thru. As for the rack, I will have to do a bit of math and engineering to keep the correct geometry. This is where things can seem to be a pain. To keep the same turning geometry (since the cradle will be narrower) the rack has to be narrowed. I cant just lop the end of the tie rod off because it wont move the same. The other thread had the OP take the rack to the machine shop and custom machine the rack housing. I might find a completely different rack (the correct dimensions) and fab that to the front end.

Im kicking around the idea of picking up another 69 Mustang gas tank and putting it in the rear of the frame.

Here is the day I finally moved it from the side of my house. Just needs a little (actually a ton lol) of TLC

Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome back to the real world! If you need to pay someone to narrow the CV crossmember and rack you might reconsider using a Jag, it's nearly a bolt in in the F1 frame and it has superb geometry, or even an MII type aftermarket. IMHO The CV really doesn't have much going for it beside price and availability.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
LOL yes, real world in a few weeks.

I will be doing all of the work myself. I have the CV front end so I figured that Id give it a shot. I know the Jag is pretty simple, I just want to stay away from the Jag end. I *might* eventually do a MII IFS. I am itching to get the CV IFS to work in the F1, I have hope for it. At a worst case, I can attempt it and if it turns out to be a huge pain Ill do the MII.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
My truck appears to originally be baby blue (not sure of the exact name) but I like the idea of baby blue interior with black trim, nicely painted dash and I'll make a headliner to match the seat.

Welcome to FTE and thank you for your service.

The original light blue colors for the 51 trucks were Silvertone Gray M-14197 and Alpine Blue M-14448.

Here's a chart for your reference:

1951 Color Codes - Ford Truck Paint Cross-Reference

My 51 has a cowl stamp which includes the color code. Mine is H for Silvertone Gray. If you can find your stamp, we can tell you the original color.

Here's where my stamp is located in the cowl. It's on the drivers side up high. Hard to read, but it's RH for the Richmond plant, F4 for the model, H for the color, 2IH for 21 August (they didn't use "1"s in the stamps and used "I"s instead) and 2272 for the 2,272nd vehicle off the Richmond line in August.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:18 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Awesome info thanks. I will check it once Im back in MI. You can slightly see it on the cowl/cab where the hood hinge bolts in the pic. There are some spots on the bed where the black has come off and blue came thru as well. Im pretty sure its the Alpine Blue (although they both look close-ish)

Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Does anyone know where/how to get custom shift arms made?

Im sure it wouldnt be that tough because the base just has 2 holes that bolt to the actual shifter on the trans. I would like a nice *taller* shifter made from polished aluminum or chromed steel. I will have the factory bench in the truck so it most likely will have to have a curve to it.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:12 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome back to the site, and thank you for your service. It sounds like your ready to hit the ground running, I think that's great. Im looking forward to your build, so I hope you post lots of pics.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Welcome back to the site, and thank you for your service. It sounds like your ready to hit the ground running, I think that's great. Im looking forward to your build, so I hope you post lots of pics.
Absolutely. I might even sneak a few pics of the 69 Fastback progress in.

This truck means a lot to me. My grandpa and I drove it home about 22 years ago. He started the restoration but stopped due to lack of parts/money. I eventually took it over and did very little work because of starting my 69 mustang. That car is almost done (all projects have been on hold for about 5-6 years due to being out of state) So im excited to get back and get back at the restoration processes. I actually just picked up some front fenders, they are being shipped from CA. I stuck with steel originals.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing cuz I think this is a build to watch.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
flattie39
Senior User
Mike - Semper Fi - I retired from the crotch in 79. Take a look at Hurst #5388620 shifter. That's the one I used in my 54 with a T-5 and the stock bench seat.
Ken

Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
Does anyone know where/how to get custom shift arms made?

Im sure it wouldnt be that tough because the base just has 2 holes that bolt to the actual shifter on the trans. I would like a nice *taller* shifter made from polished aluminum or chromed steel. I will have the factory bench in the truck so it most likely will have to have a curve to it.
Hurst makes a number of different shape and length bolt on shifter arms. try here: Hurst Replacement Shifter Sticks - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Awesome! Thanks guys.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Mike,
Sounds like fun!!! Welcome Home.
This is one of the better threads on the CV front end - Ryan also has a
good thread on his CV build.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...narrowing.html

Good luck up there in Michigan - Beat Ohio State.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 08-13-2014, 06:11 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
I was a member on the HAMB, they are very "set in their ways" and I feel like building a traditional hotrod shouldnt be a pre-1965 yada yada. They cut off a lot of great technical advice by ousting the injected/newer front suspensions/ etc. Thats the long and short about why I "look but dont touch" over on the HAMB.

Those are great threads on the front end. Whats everyone's favorite way to make or best type of pre-fabbed/weld-in motor mounts? I see quit a few from Summit/Speedway/Jegs catalogs that get mailed to me monthly but some seem, almost, too generic. Im not opposed to making my own, but if there are better alternatives, Im open ears

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 AM
DW SD
Senior User
check out the welderseries.com website. Lots of motor mounts, brackets, suspension parts (both front and rear) there.
Short of rack and coil overs you can build a whole Mustang II suspension to be welded to your frame from one of their kits.

Doug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, it's almost time. 51 F1