LT tires for my fifth wheel

Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
LT tires for my fifth wheel

The Towmax STR Powerking 235/75r16E's that came on my fiver made it about 3 years and 4k miles before two of them failed. Luckily, between traffic lights, a guy got my attention to let me know that I had a huge bubble on the side of one of them. He certainly saved me from a blowout. So now I'm researching replacement tires and the general consensus seems to be that ST tires are crap and the thing to do is go to an LT. I'm looking for some good advice in this area. What have you tried? What should I stay away from? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Friend of mine used geolanders from discount tires on his. Seemed to work well as he was thinking of going to alaska with it. Now it has changed he bought a Cl A rv instead. We travelled together for about 3000 miles and he had no issues. I put maxxis tires on my TT and had no issues either.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the hottest topic here on this forum. Everyone has an opinion, many have gone to LT's, others have stayed with ST's, just moved up to e rated if not already there.

Search this forum and you'll get plenty of opinions and comments.

Yes, almost all if not all ST's aren't made in the USA.

Many have recommended Greenball, who source their tires from all over SE Asia.

Others either like or dislike Goodyear Marathons...no in between.

Then there's Carlise tires though Americas tire. Chinese built too.

Whatever type of tire you decide on, I really think the key is keeping them fresh, 4-5 years old, inflate to max, and don't let them sit idle for too long in one spot. Keep your speed under 65.

Next opinion...cause it won't be the same!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Next opinion...cause it won't be the same!
Yep! Opinions are like, well... I'll pass for the rest of that.

I hear the pain though. I have China bombs and am going to spend more this week on some made in USA tires. Goodyear G614's. They are more expensive but they are A) made in the USA, B) if they fail, Goodyear backs them, and C) if a blowout damages your trailer, Goodyear pays for that too.

I know there are less expensive tires, I know that some of them have really good reputations, but I am sticking with made in USA.

My two cents for what it is worth.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you only need E rated tires, not G, then you are doing well as there are many LT options out there.

Michelin XPS Ribs get good reviews. There are several other popular ones over at RV.net (when its working, not so much lately).

Surprise to me, depending on the size you get, some are made in the U.S.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
I now have Gladiators on mine. That is what the insurance company bought when my tires failed.

Those tires were Freestar.

these seem to be pretty good but I know they will do the same eventually so over the winter I will look at getting them replaced as well.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
On our flatbed trailer, we put LT tires on it when the old ST tires came apart. We pull it over all kinds of terrain, heavily loaded, and at high speeds, sometimes all 3. The LT tires hold up way better and don't sway nearly as bad under extreme loads.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
On our flatbed trailer, we put LT tires on it when the old ST tires came apart. We pull it over all kinds of terrain, heavily loaded, and at high speeds, sometimes all 3. The LT tires hold up way better and don't sway nearly as bad under extreme loads.
Here's another opinion like many stated. Good reading as I still believe in ST tires if used properly.

Trailer Towing ? ST Tires vs. LT Tires | RV 101® your education source for RV information

Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM
gmcbride
Senior User
Over the years I have had several different brands of ST tires feeling that they were made specifically for trailer applications. After my last blow-out I moved to Bridgestone R250s. A rib tire like the Michelin. Great tires, no problems. Very heavy, i think 55# a piece. Low rolling resistance, seem to track better as well. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I think going to quality LT tires is a smart move. Didn't always believe that, but my opinion has been swayed by the awful experiences of others.

BUT...

It can be complicated. You have to remember that an LT tire in the same size and load range as an ST tire, the LT will always have a lower load rating. If you think that means they overrate the ST tire, ding ding ding, you're right.

So you often are forced into a larger size LT tire to keep the load rating where you need it. Maybe you can keep your wheels, maybe not. That also means you need to check the between tire clearance and wheelhouse clearance on your trailer, to make sure it will have adequate clearance when the suspension articulates.

Lastly, a nice plus with going to LT tires is that you no longer have a 65mph maximum speed rating. All ST tires are 65mph max.

Personally, I bought new tires for our 3.5 year old fiver last month. I went with ST from Maxxis, and jumped from the OEM LR/D to an LR/E tire. I felt I was pushing my luck on the OEM Powerking Towbasterds.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:54 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
If you have room, and I think you will, go up to the 235/80R16E. Its not quite 1 inch larger in dia. and same width but has a higher load rating by several hundred pounds per tire. I did this on my previous 5th wheel and my tire separations went away. Thank God I caught every one of them before I actually blew a tire. I've seen some pretty nasty coach body damage from exploding tires while at freeway speeds.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
I now have the Goodyear tires on the trailer. We are 2500 miles into the current trip. It may be my imagination, but I think not, but the trailer tows smoother with less chucking now that I have moved from a load range E tire to the G rating.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
Interesting. Hope the trip goes well.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
We are back home after 3200 miles (give or take a bit) and I can say that the Load Range G tires made a difference. Not only did the trailer seem to pull smoother, but the fuel mileage was better. 10.5 compared to our previous trip at 8.2. Now I will say, that was a similar route, not an exact route. Is it the tires, I think so, can I prove it, NO.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:41 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good on you !!!
on my previous 5er I replaced the no name chinabombs with g614's and had a blowout too quickly for my wants c pic below (note the FRAME member bent from the tire carcass !)

For some reason I saved the tire carcass and goodyear asked for it and paid for everything except the 3 hours on the side of a 100 degree interstate !!!

the current 5er has lt tires and they have been on for a year at HIGHWAY speeds without incident...

Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT tires for my fifth wheel