1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

by-pass the ABS system.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Ya know as I see this "girly man" BS beginning to gain a minuscule agreement maybe its time to say ABS is NOT a substitute or crutch that will or ever was designed to overcome stupid driver's decisions or choices. People have been hurt or worse in vehicles so equipped and even in the best of situations it's merely an aid---far different from a crutch girly men or housewives rely upon.

I'm glad to see most appreciate ABS for what it is and seem to understand its just another feature that can make driving a bit safer. Also pretty sure those who understand it know how to utilize it advantageously rather than bash it because its effeminate?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Ya know as I see this "girly man" BS beginning to gain a minuscule agreement maybe its time to say ABS is NOT a substitute or crutch that will or ever was designed to overcome stupid driver's decisions or choices. People have been hurt or worse in vehicles so equipped and even in the best of situations it's merely an aid---far different from a crutch girly men or housewives rely upon.

I'm glad to see most appreciate ABS for what it is and seem to understand its just another feature that can make driving a bit safer. Also pretty sure those who understand it know how to utilize it advantageously rather than bash it because its effeminate?
Do you even know the percentage of times your vehicle has engaged it in braking ? Most people who think they do, actually do not know it's been utilized. Or are not aware it's not even functioning. Or they run down to their local mechanic to fix it when the light comes on, totally unaware that it's perfectly OK to drive it when it's not functioning. They spend thousands of dollars to fix something that is rarely if ever used in day to day driving

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by baddad457
Do you even know the percentage of times your vehicle has engaged it in braking ? Most people who think they do, actually do not know it's been utilized. Or are not aware it's not even functioning. Or they run down to their local mechanic to fix it when the light comes on, totally unaware that it's perfectly OK to drive it when it's not functioning. They spend thousands of dollars to fix something that is rarely if ever used in day to day driving
So what is the point exactly? Some here believe ABS is a crutch, its only for girly men and housewives etc etc and others believe its a useful feature. With this logic ^^^ we can also eliminate seat belts, door locks, paint protection hell even glass since its only the rare occasion when its REALLY needed right?

In the end we'll drive as we prefer or think is best regardless what other opinions are put forward about any one topic.

While its easy enough for those of us a bit more interested in the mechanical functioning of our vehicles some aren't similarly inclined. That type of person seems to have a choice: ignore everything until it breaks completely OR seek advice from the local mechanic.

Yes we here might know its okay to ignore a warning but we're in the minority of most vehicle owners. That doesn't make them all that foolish---most people have spent big money on their vehicles (at least from their personal income perspective) and are seeking only to protect that investment.

Do we also tell those with warning signs of potential health issues to just ignore warning signs, that it's fine to just go on as all is okay?

This continued BS where people are stupid, dumb or downright funny because they don't know something really chaps my ****. There are things we here are equally clueless about and in that world we too would be laughed at. There's no need to criticize someone for their lack of knowledge which might stem from their lack of interest in that which interests us.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
You have the mistaken belief here that the ABS system is somehow a necessary function of the braking system. It adds very little in the overall performance of the brakes. The only time it engages is in hard braking situations, and if you're one who is constantly engaging it, then you need to reexamine your driving habits. Bypassing it or letting it remain unfunctioning (as in my case) is hardly a dangerous thing to do for someone who's experienced enough in their driving that they never use it or have a need to do so. I'm not saying someone's a girly man in needing it, only that for someone to bypass it who's experienced enough in their driving is completely OK in my book.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I recall ... ABS systems have previously been challenged by professional drivers who, for the most part, have been UNABLE to match the capabilities of the computer. Apparently y'all are most exceptional drivers - but I'm not one of you, so ...

Please be fair and advise those of us purchasing your used/bypassed vehicle of your modifications, because there is NO WAY I'd purchase yours after this knowledge.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 AM
richter roxs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original question asked about an abs system on a 1990 van. From my experiance the abs from these years is marginal at best . modern abs is great 1990 abs less than awsome and bordering on useless. modern efi is great ,the efi in my 1979 saab much less than awsome. the abs in my 1996 e150 in low traction would engage when there was plenty of traction still left and would Increase my stopping distance under these situations . Living in newengland made this less than desirable . Without the abs I have more controll over this particular vehichle in low traction low speed stopping . Just my two cents .

Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 AM
Byooty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Army RET
As I recall ... ABS systems have previously been challenged by professional drivers who, for the most part, have been UNABLE to match the capabilities of the computer. Apparently y'all are most exceptional drivers - but I'm not one of you, so ...

Please be fair and advise those of us purchasing your used/bypassed vehicle of your modifications, because there is NO WAY I'd purchase yours after this knowledge.
So, you're telling us you would NEVER drive a vehicle that did not have ABS ? What did you drive before the advent of ABS ? Or were you not old enough to drive vehicles then ? Or did you make the leap from the horse and buggy straight to modern ABS equipped vehicles ?

Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Yea, it's good idea to do so, but to say that all that WILL happen if you do not is a wee bit extreme.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Yea, it's good idea to do so, but to say that all that WILL happen if you do not is a wee bit extreme.
No more so than all this nonsense about ABS of ANY era!

Ain't it odd and more than a little interesting how we collectively decide what's safe, what's not and what we do about it?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
So, you're telling us you would NEVER drive a vehicle that did not have ABS ? What did you drive before the advent of ABS ? Or were you not old enough to drive vehicles then ? Or did you make the leap from the horse and buggy straight to modern ABS equipped vehicles ?

I learned on a 56 Studebaker pickup with a three on the tree. From there a 60 Buick Skylark eventually replaced by a 69 Pontiac LeMans. I forget what all after that.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't go back to those old clunkers that I once thought so highly of. Airbags, seatbelts, disk-brakes, ABS brakes, traction and roll over controls, better tires, etc. All have greatly enhanced the safety of auto's.

These items not only help you but they help the innocent folks that you might otherwise collide into.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
There's little use or benefit trying to argue with someone who believes their way is the only way, that the good ole days are the best etc etc etc. Closed minds are worse than just plain wrong ideas----no winning with such a mindset.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:47 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jonesg
1990 E350 van.

Is it possible to by-pass the ABS system. ?
I'm replacing all the rusted out steel lines and really dislike ABS systems in general, I usually disable by unplugging a wheel sensor and fuse.
But is it possible to plumb the new lines around the ABS unit and just go from master cyl to the wheels ?

Is it legal?

Yes it is possible to disable / bypass the RABS as you have described (along with pulling the fuse, disabling the dash light).

HOWEVER, if your insurance company finds out you've deliberately disabled a RABS, they may pin the liability on you if the ABS bypass contributes in any way to a future accident somehow.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:57 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Army RET
I learned on a 56 Studebaker pickup with a three on the tree. From there a 60 Buick Skylark eventually replaced by a 69 Pontiac LeMans. I forget what all after that.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't go back to those old clunkers that I once thought so highly of. Airbags, seatbelts, disk-brakes, ABS brakes, traction and roll over controls, better tires, etc. All have greatly enhanced the safety of auto's.

These items not only help you but they help the innocent folks that you might otherwise collide into.
'54 Plymouth for me, Army RET. And I agree about all the safety advances available today. But, there is another side to the technology.

Making cars safer and easier to drive allows drivers to concentrate less on driving. My '54 Plymouth required constant attention to keep it in my lane (worn steering box), so even if texting were available, it would be impossible while driving. With today's automatic parallel parking, automatic braking, etc., driving is advertised as like being in an easy chair in your living room.

But my son's first "car" was a '74 F-150 (1987) which he had to work on until it was safe to drive. He was more careful with it than if I had bought him a new car because he knew if he bent it, he would have to fix it! haha

Would I ever disable safety features on my cars? NO. But drivers today are getting killed by over-driving the technology instead of learning good driving skills.
jim

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
But drivers today are getting killed by over-driving the technology instead of learning good driving skills.

Drivers (especially teens) have always been guilt of this; fortunately with todays safety advances more of them live to tell the story.

My 60's Buick Special also required both hands to keep it within my lane as well as extra distance to stop once those drum brakes got hot. But I loved it at the time. With my 69 Pontiac I felt invincible, after all, it had lap belts!, four way flashers, and much better steering (but still the old bias tires that thumped when cold).

Quick Reply: by-pass the ABS system.