6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help! I'm Broken Down - No Boost 07 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM
rwhite2014
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I'm Broken Down - No Boost 07 PSD

Guys, I need some Advice/Help, I'm broken down returning from our family vacation...My username is rwhite07PSD but I had to re-register to get on here...It's a Saturday night, so there is no hope of getting this truck looked at until monday, at best....

Was towing my fifth wheel travel trailer over the Grapevine and suddenly with a loud BOOM, lost ALL boost about a mile from Gorman, CA. NO Check engine light, temps all normal. Truck has 39K on it. I was not working the truck very hard at all, and we were on a flat to down-grade section of I5 when it happened.

After pulling over and checking what I could, (we thought the 5th wheel might have blown a tire at first!) Limped it into Gorman, and just got the wife and kiddos into hotel. There is essentially nothing in Gorman...Nearest ford dealer is 35+ miles away heading back down the hill towards LA... I suspected that the turbo hose may have blown off but I don't see anything loose or split.... The truck has NO power, just puffs what I'd call a medium amount of black smoke under accelleration.

I'm waiting for it to cool down now, so I can get in there and wiggle the intercooler pipes and see if anything has blown off. Other than the main pipe that comes off the turbo, I can't even see the intercooler to see if its cracked...

I'm amazed that I have no CEL illuminated...Whatever this is, it must be something simple. Stuck EGR valve? It was running great right before failure.

Man, this sucks.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Moved to 6.0L forum

Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Loud "BOOM" and no power almost always indicates something popped in the CAC system somewhere in my experience. Usually it's the passenger side CAC pipe that pops and knocks a nice dent in your hood. The only one that's hard to see is under the air cleaner. Check ALL the hoses for a hole.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Loud "BOOM" and no power almost always indicates something popped in the CAC system somewhere in my experience. Usually it's the passenger side CAC pipe that pops and knocks a nice dent in your hood. The only one that's hard to see is under the air cleaner. Check ALL the hoses for a hole.
The part highlighted in bold red is likely the cause of your concern by what you describe. This is by virtue of the fact that you already checked under the hood and found nothing obvious. Assuming your truck is an '07 model year with the plastic molded cold side CAC pipe, I would pull the air cleaner to have a better look at where that CAC pipe connects to the CAC. THAT, is where they tend to rupture.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 PM
rwhite2014
New User
Found it. The passenger side lower blue silicone hose from the turbo down pipe to the IC ripped wide open. Didn't see it because I couldn't feel underneath side, when everything (myself included) was still hot. Got it off, Now to find a replacement somewhere locally, tomorrow AM....Sunday....Thank you all for your replies! Wish me luck on tomorrow's quest!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck.

Maybe use some duct tape for an emergency on something like that.

I would also recommend Riffraff boots as replacements.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 PM
rwhite2014
New User
Well, Here it is:

Now the challenge is to find a replacement tomorrow AM, somewhere near Gorman, CA. There is a Napa a few miles away (closed now) but I wonder what the chances are of it being on the shelf...Website has no stock indicator...at least I know what I need to get back on the road.

Gates / Napa #26221 is what I need...Now just have to hope and pray that there is one to be had on a Sunday. If I can't find anything, I will probably kluge something with generic (radiator) type hose, to get me home.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 PM
rwhite2014
New User
Jswartz84, I just might go with the duct tape solution. It had crossed my mind, just wondering if it would actually hold....

Old 08-09-2014, 08:38 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jswartz84
Good luck.

Maybe use some duct tape for an emergency on something like that.

I would also recommend Riffraff boots as replacements.
I was going to recommend the same thing, duct tape it up as best you can and limp it to somewhere that will have Ford parts.

Everyone seems to love the RiffRaff boots that's what I am going to go with also.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I tried Ductape on my split plastic tube. Squealed like a pig when the boost a came up. If no luck on the replacement, I'd try trimming the old one at the split and see if there's enough room the reposition the tube to make it reach. Double clamping may help it stay on the trimmed end also, you'll probably be able to find some style of clamp that will fit, or use two shorter worm drive clamps together. Or Ductape it and put clamps over the tape (I didn't try that) Don't forget Lowes or Home Depot, they may have something in the right diameter. Good luck Macgyver!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Hope he got it home. Like to see what he did or if he found one. I saw boots in pep boys once, don't know there size but they carry them.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:49 AM
2civicrr
Senior User
If you can't find anything & limp up close to Tracy, I have a good used spare you can have......

Old 08-10-2014, 02:15 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's one thing rolling around my tool box a Mission band for just in case that and a bottle opener hope you got back to where you were heading

Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 AM
rwhite2014
New User
Made It Home!

Well, I decided to go for it and duct tape the beejeezus out of it.....after finding a roll of duct tape for sale at the Liquor store across the street from our hotel (yes, you read that right- if you are ever staying at the EconoLodge in Gorman, CA, abduction supplies and alcohol are but a short walk from your motel room...

.....so, after cleaning the boot with hot soapy water and drying it real good, taped it up and nursed it home. I figured that the most likely outcome was having no shot at having a replacement in hand until midday Monday, at best.

I kept my foot out of it, set the cruise to 57 or so MPH and didn't let the boost get above 10-12 pounds. It held up fine, made it home and all is well. I will be ordering up a good set of aftermarket couplings and will change them all out.

Many thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. Duct tape does indeed have its place!

Rob

Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Glad ya made it! Did the liquor store also have bags of lime and shovels? Lol

Quick Reply: Help! I'm Broken Down - No Boost 07 PSD