Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering

I have been to a lot of trouble rebuilding my front end , new everything, ball joint (moog) tie rod ends and drag link connecting rod, hub seals and knuckle seals and bearings , needle roller bearings and new auto hubs , re greased the slide pins in the calipers , had it wheel alined and still drives like a pig .
The only thing i didn't renew was the steering box (ouch) they cost an arm and leg, any suggestions where i will purchase one or what i can tweak to solve the steering problem.
I did adjust the box a tad but with no luck , i seem to think it with the caster bushes , these guys here don't touch the caster as the bushes are non adjustable, anyone else had this problem. any idea's

The truck : 03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3 4R100HD

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
When you say it steers like a pig, what do you mean exactly?
Does it wander? Pull in one direction?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
It seem like i correct the steering and when i do i find i have to re-correct , it just won't drive straight , i know the moog ball joints are still tight but there is more to this.
I haven't towed with the ball joints done as yet, I'm sure it will be worse with less weight on the steer.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:57 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
A single steering damper fixed my Aussie truck up.

TCS: Single Steering Stabilizer 99-04 F250/F350 Super Duty !

It was easy to fit and stopped the wander completely.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:12 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SSSimon
A single steering damper fixed my Aussie truck up.

TCS: Single Steering Stabilizer 99-04 F250/F350 Super Duty !

It was easy to fit and stopped the wander completely.
Where is that from the US , can we buy from Aus.
I like the idea of stopping the wander completely , i didn't think that was possible.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:29 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Set up a Viaddress account. VIAddress : The Global Leader in Package Forwarding

Buy from the US site with a US account/shipping address, then get it shipped from your Viaddress address to your Aussie address.

There is an Aussie unit produced - with a coil spring over the top, it costs more money and one guy on this forum had one snap.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Thanks Simon, just joined , i will look at one of those steering Stabilizers you mentioned , i just need to do some more reading on how the system works .

Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
The steering damper 'system' is brainless. It is just a mechanical shock absorber which works in the in and out direction which slows the steering linkages down thereby stopping the oscillation endemic to the FA steering design. One end of the shocker mounts to a U tab on the RH axle mount, the other end to a supplied triangle shaped bracket which is U-clamped to the middle of the steering tie-rod.
Very cheap & simple, but truly effective.
The trick is to mount the triangle shaped bracket pointing horizontally, not vertically down, so that it doesn't worsen the ground clearance.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:21 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info, will the steering stabilizer interfere with the diff plate , i have a Maga-tec diff cover.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:24 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Couldn't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if it did. I've never seen that problem mentioned on any of the forums or product installation guides that I've read.

Given that twin steering stabiliser kits are offered, with the second stabiliser mounting on the LHS crossing right in front of the front diff I don't think interference with the diff cover is a problem. Then again, I'm just running the stock cover so I can't speak from experience.

How close does the steering rod in your truck run to your Maga-tec cover?

Also, when on full left lock, how close in the centre of the steering rod - which is where the bracket clamps on - go to the front diff cover?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
I did check the steering rod to the diff cover and there's no to much room , if i could post photos i could show you.
Some time ago i fitted a tuffdog stabilizer off a mates truck and that was touching the cover but it was a unit that was meant for 4'' lift as mine is not.

All the same i will get the one you recommend and try it , by the way the T/D stabilizer helped but didn't fix it all together.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
That stabiliser you tried was the crappy type which another member here had break on him. The design is also crap because the large external coil spring is actually going to make matters worse. You can see all the US units do not contain a spring, as a spring by definition is not going to damp, it does the exact opposite, - i.e. bounce.

The US single units only extend as far as the middle of the steering rod. They are not as bulky as that unit you tried.

If you zoom in on this you can see the damper and make out the clamp which is well away from the diff cover, although it will become closer at full left lock:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10776...13830402976812

Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok, as Simon has mentioned, a steering stabiliser will most likely improve the steering on the truck, and help prevent it wander. Here are some of the common issues with steering - a stabiliser will help with most of these items, but won't fix the underlying issue. I've listed these in order of importance.
  • Caster set for a LHD vehicle. Early effies that were imported had caster still set for LHD. I see yours is an 03 - unless a dealership replaced the caster bushes this will still be the case, and will cause the truck to constantly pull to the left, particularly on roads with a significant gradient for drainage. There are caster bushes in the top of the front axle knuckle that can be replaced and fix this problem - if you go to your Ford Dealership, there is a TSB to get the updated caster bushes.
  • Insufficient caster. Some trucks (particularly if they have been lifted/leveled), don't have enough caster in the front axle, this encourages "wandering" on the hwy.
  • Ball joints. As they go - and they will as the km's rack up, particularly if you have aftermarket wheels with different backspacing - the steering becomes quite loose. Easy to check, jack a front wheel up, and see if there is any movement shaking the top and bottom of the wheel. Replace with greasable Moogs if they are failing.
  • Steering arms - can get too much play in them.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350
Ok, as Simon has mentioned, a steering stabiliser will most likely improve the steering on the truck, and help prevent it wander. Here are some of the common issues with steering - a stabiliser will help with most of these items, but won't fix the underlying issue. I've listed these in order of importance.
  • Caster set for a LHD vehicle. Early effies that were imported had caster still set for LHD. I see yours is an 03 - unless a dealership replaced the caster bushes this will still be the case, and will cause the truck to constantly pull to the left, particularly on roads with a significant gradient for drainage. There are caster bushes in the top of the front axle knuckle that can be replaced and fix this problem - if you go to your Ford Dealership, there is a TSB to get the updated caster bushes.
  • Insufficient caster. Some trucks (particularly if they have been lifted/leveled), don't have enough caster in the front axle, this encourages "wandering" on the hwy.
  • Ball joints. As they go - and they will as the km's rack up, particularly if you have aftermarket wheels with different backspacing - the steering becomes quite loose. Easy to check, jack a front wheel up, and see if there is any movement shaking the top and bottom of the wheel. Replace with greasable Moogs if they are failing.
  • Steering arms - can get too much play in them.
The complete front end has been replaced with Moog from Summit US, knuckle seals and Fr axle u-joints and new auto locking hubs (Tousley Ford) the only thing i didn't renew where the caster bushes , as they are non adjustable.
This truck is a Australian mode l(Brazilian model) so i would expect it to have the correct caster bushes already , would that be correct.

I have seen on the net adjustable caster bushes for the later model trucks , but before i start trowing an more money at it I'm looking for advice.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SSSimon
That stabiliser you tried was the crappy type which another member here had break on him. The design is also crap because the large external coil spring is actually going to make matters worse. You can see all the US units do not contain a spring, as a spring by definition is not going to damp, it does the exact opposite, - i.e. bounce.

The US single units only extend as far as the middle of the steering rod. They are not as bulky as that unit you tried.

If you zoom in on this you can see the damper and make out the clamp which is well away from the diff cover, although it will become closer at full left lock:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10776...13830402976812
Yeah i see what you mean , the T/D stabilizers are a big sucker as well .
There is a mounting bracket on the driver side spring hanger , i notice the the stabilizer you have doesn't connect to that or dose it , i couldn't quite zoom in enough to see yours.
Thanks for the information so far , and that's a nice truck you have Simon
What do you think of these stabilizers.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...6284/overview/

Quick Reply: Steering