Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue7.3
The complete front end has been replaced with Moog from Summit US, knuckle seals and Fr axle u-joints and new auto locking hubs (Tousley Ford) the only thing i didn't renew where the caster bushes , as they are non adjustable.
This truck is a Australian mode l(Brazilian model) so i would expect it to have the correct caster bushes already , would that be correct.
All the points I mentioned were relevant for the Brazilian built trucks. I suspect that your truck has the LHD caster bushes fitted (they updated bushes were only fitted on 05+ Australian delivered trucks), unless at one time it went to the Ford dealer to get them updated for pulling left.

I cant recall the caster bush part numbers that fix the issue, but if you contact your Ford dealer, they should be able to pull up the TSB and get the part number.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay thanks , I'm not sure if any other caster bushes have been fitted , i brought the truck with 90k miles on it any thing could have been done , I'd say it is still stock in the steering as far as the caster bushes go.
What is the TSB?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Just received a copy of the wheel alignment specs, but i can't post a photo yet so I'll just write them.

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3 Auto

Before After
Camber 10- 10-
Caster 2+ 2+
Tow 25 IN 8

IN

Now

Before After
Camber 0 0
Caster 2 1/4+ 2 1/4+

this is basically a copy of the wheel alignment chart they emailed me.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Blue, Adrian,
my truck is an '05 FA delivered truck. I always describe it as an '03 because that is the equivalent US spec. When you look on US sites you have to select US '03 7.3 to get the correct parts for the FA delivered '04 to '06 Brazilian made trucks.

The steering stabiliser RH end mounts in the bracket in the RH spring hanger - you can see it in this photo:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10776...13830402976812

Blue, the link you posted does not show the clamps and bracket required to mount the inboard end of the dampter to the steering arm.

The outboard mount is merely a nut and bolt to go though the existing mount that you've spotted.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Simon, yes I see what you are talking about, I have never had any problem ordering from the US , i just punch in 03 F250 and everything I've brought has been correct .

I will chase up that stabilizer you have linked to from Summit in the morning, i have an account with them.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...250-super-duty

This is the one you listed looks like it has a thread on each end or is that only display?

Have you any specs on your wheel alignments handy?
Would be a good reference point.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Blue, was your truck made in Brazil? As it is an '03 you may have a US truck (made in Kentucky). Either way, nice and easy ordering parts from the US.

Sorry, no alignment specs. I have a hard time just finding a place here that will do an alignment.

I can see the mounting brackets on the link that you've posted are made for the threaded end damper. It looks like one bracket may be attached to the mount in the spring hanger, with the other mount U-bolting to the steering rod.

Note that the boot shown is not supplied, so you may want to order than as well.

The unit should stop the oscillation occuring - it is endemic in the Aussie trucks, not just because of all the valid reasons posted already - which all need to be sorted, but also because the FA RH drive conversion uses a slave steering box and rod to the original LHD PAS steering box on the left side of the frame. The addition of these extra components, from what I've read, added something like a 4 degree steering vagueness that failed to meet the ADR standard at the time. The FA response was to complain that this was as good as they could get it, and on that basis the FA RHD F250 steering 'system' was approved even though it didn't meet the 'standard'.

So once all the standard stuff is sorted, to stop the aimless wondering in the designed-in 4 degree area of vagueness, your only option is the steering stabiliser. It just slows to wondering down to a level where you don't notice it. Magic!

The real fix would been to have a RHD steering box manufactured. It's been mentioned a few times. Maybe if we could get a few (hundred) RHD F250 owners to put their money down, someone in the US would manufacture it.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Blue7.3
Just received a copy of the wheel alignment specs, but i can't post a photo yet so I'll just write them.

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3 Auto

Before After
Camber 10- 10-
Caster 2+ 2+
Tow 25 IN 8

IN

Now

Before After
Camber 0 0
Caster 2 1/4+ 2 1/4+

this is basically a copy of the wheel alignment chart they emailed me.
It looks like you have enough caster (between 2-5 degrees is ideal), but if I recall correctly there needs to be more caster on the passenger side than the drivers. The Ford dealership will have the proper specs from the aforementioned TSB, it was over 10yrs ago and I don't recall all the details

Although as Simon said, there is a certain degree of "vagueness" in all FA trucks.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Simon it is a Brazilian made unit.
Thanks , i give the steering stabilizer that Simon suggested a go and see if that improves it.
How do you post photos on this forum? is there a wait time?
Thanks to Simon and Adrian.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:08 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
click on this logo:

Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Thanks , here is a photo of one of my caster bushes.As you can see they are not adjustable and both the same 0.0 /0.5.

Simon did the stabilizer you ordered and fitted come with the dust boot ?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Blue, no dust boot came with my unit. You have to order it seperately.

Personally, I would have liked one but didn't realise it was a seperate order until I had the unit & no dust boot.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SSSimon
Blue, no dust boot came with my unit. You have to order it seperately.

Personally, I would have liked one but didn't realise it was a seperate order until I had the unit & no dust boot.

Just ordered Tuff Country steering Stabilizer (Sx5000) and two (2) boots from summit should be here in ten days or so, if you would like one of the boots PM your Address and i will send one to you as you have helped me so much.

In the mean time I'm cutting the spring off the Tuff Dog stabilizer i got from my mate and I'll give that a go , see if that improves the wander a bit, not to sure if that'll work but can't wait until the T/C SX5000 gets here.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
In regards to the caster bushes - none of the OEM Ford ones are adjustable (Moog and other companies do make replacement adjustable units).
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...r_bushing.html

Ford make a large range of replacement bushes that have different caster/camber specs.

Let us know how you go with the steering stabilizer.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350
In regards to the caster bushes - none of the OEM Ford ones are adjustable (Moog and other companies do make replacement adjustable units).
03 2003 Ford F250 Super Duty Alignment Caster Camber Bushing - Suspension - Mevotech, Moog, PartsMaster, Front, Front Upper - PartsGeek

Ford make a large range of replacement bushes that have different caster/camber specs.

Let us know how you go with the steering stabilizer.
Yeah , will report back after the week end , thanks for the link to partsqeek, that will be handy if the steering stabilizer doesn't do the job .

Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
[quote=BigF350;14582763]In regards to the caster bushes - none of the OEM Ford ones are adjustable (Moog and other companies do make replacement adjustable units).
03 2003 Ford F250 Super Duty Alignment Caster Camber Bushing - Suspension - Mevotech, Moog, PartsMaster, Front, Front Upper - PartsGeek
Adrian,
Great link, thanks. I did not realise these were available.
I have a 2002 model with a bit of front end vagueness.
There is a ProComp steering damper on it but I would like to try the adjustable bushes to see if it helps any.
What year US truck is the equivalent to an Australian 2002 model?

Quick Reply: Steering