Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92-97 Tailgate aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Thanks. Ford obsoleted them a couple of years ago
No worries, I'll keep an eye out. I have an itch for a gear vendors. My friend said if I find one since its in the driveline he'll just charge me for the price of a driveshaft piece. So instead of looking at duallies that were for towing I'll look at motorhomes. Think I have a better chance that way.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
here are some pics of my 97 gate with oem emblems
FWIW i prefer the smooth 97 gates over the aluminum

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the plain ones are ok but kinda more like base/lower end model style.the aluminum section on the gates give the truck a much more higher end style.
this opinion is coming from a guy who prefers old school where the more stainless/chrome,the better.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 97 XLT has the smooth gate and two emblems, the oval and "F250 Heavy Duty". I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the "F250 Heavy Duty" badges were 97 only since the new body style brought with it a light duty F250?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM
krooser
Elder User
I tossed all of my ordering guides several years ago… who the heck thought they would ever be needed?

Here's roundup of the F150/250/350 that i used to order from '91-'Dec, '96. Incidentally the '97 F150's were available January, '96… but we're not talking about those.

499A- bare bones.

498A- bare bones with cc/tilt, painted styled steel wheels, am/fm, cloth seat with rubber mats.

500A- XL pkg. Chrome bumper (and grille in certain years IIRC), chrome styled steel wheels. am/fm radio.

503A- base XLT regular cab with manual windows/locks.

507A- regular cab XLT with power windows and locks.

523A- supercab XLT with manual windows/locks.

527A- supercab with power windows and locks.

I believe the Flaresides were pkg. # 528A regular cab and XXXA supercab… been a long time. Don't remember the Eddie Bauer #'s as most of our customers were to cheap to buy 'em… around here guys get two estimates for a haircut!

Dealer groups would have certain packages they could order for their own territories. Texas and Louisiana had theirs which, I believe, was a 498A with free air and V-8. Some were just trim packages… others changed some mechanical components. Only residents of certain zip codes were allowed to buy those to prevent 'outsiders' from buying a 'F150 Broncos Edition' (for example) and driving it home to Ohio.

Often Ford and GM would encourage dealers to order slow selling or low optioned trucks with special incentives, free options, etc. GM was good at that peddling the 4.3 V-6 which few buyers wanted. Ford was the same with manual transmissions after we started seeing more 'personal use' trucks being sold after the '92's were introduced.

I recently tossed some '75th Anniversary' emblems that I had left over from my dealer days. They were used in NE Wisconsin on a special edition package that included a white F150 reg. cab with turquoise vinyl graphics… yuk.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
You have a Flareside, they did not come with aluminum. Same goes for Lightnings.

I did think I had to spell all this out
Oh, this is what you call "spelling it out"?

"Can anybody tell me with any CERTAINTY why some trucks had FORD in letters on others had Ford emblem?"

Try not being a d-bag. It won't cause you any more brain damage I promise!

I've owned two OSB Fords. I haven't memorized the tailgate options list year by year yet!

Old 08-13-2014, 04:05 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by broncoderek
Oh, this is what you call "spelling it out"?

"Can anybody tell me with any CERTAINTY why some trucks had FORD in letters on others had Ford emblem?"

Try not being a d-bag. It won't cause you any more brain damage I promise!

I've owned two OSB Fords. I haven't memorized the tailgate options list year by year yet!
Unless you have the original Ford ordering guides with every option, and package details from every Ford sales zone office in the US, the answer would be 'no'….

Over the years these trucks have also been beat on, banged up and repaired… thousand of trucks have had aftermarket parts installed that only mimicked the original Ford parts… most are not the same in the details. One size fits all.

Looking at a 25 year old truck and trying to identify it as 100% original is a lesson in futility.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by krooser
Unless you have the original Ford ordering guides with every option and package details from every Ford sales zone in the US the answer would be 'no'….
I don't need an order sheet for that

It is pretty simple XLTs(other than flare sides and lightning) got the aluminum. PERIOD. There was no option for aluminum delete like a carpet delete

XLs, Flare sides and Lightnings had the smooth gate with either emblems or stickers.

What i wanted to know was what was the reasoning or production date that decide the ford letters on the aluminum or the Ford oval on the aluminum

Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru

'97 F250 XLT

Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 AM
mefast
Senior User
I always thought that 92-96 Broncos got the oval logo and 92-96 F150's got the letters. Did anyone's F150 come from factory with the oval?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mefast
I always thought that 92-96 Broncos got the oval logo and 92-96 F150's got the letters. Did anyone's F150 come from factory with the oval?
That is what this thread was made for

Old 08-15-2014, 10:23 AM
krooser
Elder User
I don't need an order sheet for that

It is pretty simple XLTs(other than flare sides and lightning) got the aluminum. PERIOD. There was no option for aluminum delete like a carpet delete

XLs, Flare sides and Lightnings had the smooth gate with either emblems or stickers.

What i wanted to know was what was the reasoning or production date that decide the ford letters on the aluminum or the Ford oval on the aluminum
Looks like your homework assignment is to find out the answer and let us know because we're too dumb to know… report back with the answer.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 AM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
Looks like your homework assignment is to find out the answer and let us know because we're too dumb to know… report back with the answer.

OMG

Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
You said it

Old 08-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My sister worked at Ford(team Mustang) for over 10 yrs. Let me tell you, there are more changes to vehicles throughout the year then you want to think about. Lots of part changes, revisions, etc. With something like a tailgate?? Who knows how/why.

Like if some truck didn't get an emblem.........maybe someone forgot to put it on while the line moved? With the times I've visited some of the lines, anything is possible.

I had a new '96 F350 SC DRW. Pretty sure the gate looked like this: (though I know I don't have any pics of the back of the truck)

Quick Reply: 92-97 Tailgate aluminum