Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Signs of a loose injector??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
So how was your cross country trip Frank?
It was great, Thanks for asking Rob.
Had one blowout on the rear of the truck, but it was patchable & I was on my way.
I fought with some turbo surge that never was an issue on flat Florida roads.
I'll put my WW back in at some point.

Just got off the phone with Clay. I cannot ignore my dead glow plugs any longer. It was in the low 50's last night & my truck wont start...
8 new glow plugs going in asap.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
It was great, Thanks for asking Rob.
Had one blowout on the rear of the truck, but it was patchable & I was on my way.
I fought with some turbo surge that never was an issue on flat Florida roads.
I'll put my WW back in at some point.

Just got off the phone with Clay. I cannot ignore my dead glow plugs any longer. It was in the low 50's last night & my truck wont start...
8 new glow plugs going in asap.
Glad to hear your trip went well. I know what you mean about the glow plugs. This past winter in PC when temps got below freezing my truck was giving me fits about starting so I had to plug it in for awhile.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Mine has always given me issues under 50°. So there was only a few nights that I really needed to plug in the truck.
It's 66° here right now & it wont fire...Was in the low 50's last night so I'm sure my engine block is still cold. I got it plugged in right now.

A little embarrassing when I'm parked next door to a $200k+ class A diesel pusher.
My other next door neighbor uses his '01 Ford Ranger as a pilot car for over size loads and he's got over 400,000 miles on the 4.0L,
& my truck won't start...

Old 09-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd change the relay to if you haven't already. That's what it was on my E-99 when it wouldn't start. Stopped to rest in a rest stop and couple hours later no start. It still clicked just didn't work correctly.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I'd change the relay to if you haven't already. That's what it was on my E-99 when it wouldn't start. Stopped to rest in a rest stop and couple hours later no start. It still clicked just didn't work correctly.
Do you mean the glow plug relay?
Mine tested good. I got the same voltage across both terminals.
I plugged the block heater in for roughly 1 1/2 hrs and the truck fired right up.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Yes, the glow plug relay. I finely got it started back when, then drove it to hunting camp. It sat for two weeks, it wouldn't start. Finely got it started, went to town and had to plug it in over night. It started right up. I never tested it, didn't have the tools with me, but it clicked strong just wouldn't start. Changed it out, no more problems. It was a total surprise, if I was having problems, I would of changed it before going to Wyoming.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Yes, the glow plug relay. I finely got it started back when, then drove it to hunting camp. It sat for two weeks, it wouldn't start. Finely got it started, went to town and had to plug it in over night. It started right up. I never tested it, didn't have the tools with me, but it clicked strong just wouldn't start. Changed it out, no more problems. It was a total surprise, if I was having problems, I would of changed it before going to Wyoming.
Hmm, I've never heard my relay click. It looks pretty old, but the last time I checked it I was getting power across the terminals.
I'll swap out the glow plugs & see what happens. At least the relay isn't under the VC . I'll prob end up replacing it as well.
Mine is prob original, being that the truck has been in Fl it's whole life.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Clamp your voltmeter probes across the big studs on the GPR and turn the key. The voltage should drop to zero, or whatever reads as zero on your particular meter. If you see a small amount of voltage, then the GPR contacts are on their way out.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank I am glad your trip went well and I feel for you as far as being a little embarrassed that the truck won't start in the park. I'm sure the guy with the Ranger is like....

I myself am embarrassed about Blackie's glow plug issues since my neighbor has a old Dodge with 700k and it starts and Blackie is blowing smoke or not starting. I had the gp led lighting up on dash but when I checked voltage at the GPR I was only getting 9.4v. So I replaced the GPR but I still have some dead GP's. The sad part is I have had new ones from Clay sitting in my tool box for over a year. So I suggest check the GPR with DVM at least. But since you live in winter wonderrland now I say JUST change it or you will be doing so on a -10* morning.

So other than that I hope you are settling in your new home and learning the lay of the land. What is the elevation where you are at? Just wondering since you have lived at sea level or below sea level for so long. LOL
I'm sure the dog is loving it!

Old 09-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Tugly
Clamp your voltmeter probes across the big studs on the GPR and turn the key. The voltage should drop to zero, or whatever reads as zero on your particular meter. If you see a small amount of voltage, then the GPR contacts are on their way out.
Wait....I thought the big terminal on the left (right fender) should always have battery voltage & the right terminal should have no voltage until the key is turned on, then it should have the same voltage going to it?

Here what I am referring too: It's an E99 like my truck.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F9wxR1yToAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Frank I am glad your trip went well and I feel for you as far as being a little embarrassed that the truck won't start in the park. I'm sure the guy with the Ranger is like....

I myself am embarrassed about Blackie's glow plug issues since my neighbor has a old Dodge with 700k and it starts and Blackie is blowing smoke or not starting. I had the gp led lighting up on dash but when I checked voltage at the GPR I was only getting 9.4v. So I replaced the GPR but I still have some dead GP's. The sad part is I have had new ones from Clay sitting in my tool box for over a year. So I suggest check the GPR with DVM at least. But since you live in winter wonderrland now I say JUST change it or you will be doing so on a -10* morning.

So other than that I hope you are settling in your new home and learning the lay of the land. What is the elevation where you are at? Just wondering since you have lived at sea level or below sea level for so long. LOL
Thanks ED, I know the feeling...There are a couple of older Dodge Cummins trucks here in the park & they fire right up.
I've been on top of maintenance with my truck, but I've just ignored the glow plug system. (Florida's 60° winter days weren't an issue )

I have to sweet talk the park manager to see if he'll let me pull my VC's out back in the camper storage area. It's a pretty nice park & they frown on doing any type of vehicle maintenance.

I don't know why I didn't just grab a new relay from Clay yesterday...I'll prob end up changing it out for piece of mind. It looks like its been there since 1998.

I'm excited with the fall weather. First time I've used the heat in my truck and camper since the NC job... The dog is loving it & so am I! It's refreshing to come home and not hear the AC running away and the electric meter spinning like a Frisbee...

Old 09-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Wait....I thought the big terminal on the left (right fender) should always have battery voltage & the right terminal should have no voltage until the key is turned on, then it should have the same voltage going to it?

Here what I am referring too: It's an E99 like my truck.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F9wxR1yToAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks ED, I know the feeling...There are a couple of older Dodge Cummins trucks here in the park & they fire right up.
I've been on top of maintenance with my truck, but I've just ignored the glow plug system. (Florida's 60° winter days weren't an issue )

I have to sweet talk the park manager to see if he'll let me pull my VC's out back in the camper storage area. It's a pretty nice park & they frown on doing any type of vehicle maintenance.

I don't know why I didn't just grab a new relay from Clay yesterday...I'll prob end up changing it out for piece of mind. It looks like its been there since 1998.

I'm excited with the fall weather. First time I've used the heat in my truck and camper since the NC job... The dog is loving it & so am I! It's refreshing to come home and not hear the AC running away and seeing the electric meter spin like a Frisbee...

Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

If your getting volts of the other side as in the video it probably okay. I didn't have the equipment with me to check mine. You can jump it to get it started. I would change it as Ed said. You can use it as a spare if need be later. It's going to be cold there in the winter if its like east OR. I've hunted elk there.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
To clarify my suggestion: In the video - black lead on right post, red lead on left post. You will see 12V. Turn key, you will see the voltage drop across the relay - there should be none when energized. If you have a significant voltage drop (I need to check on the tolerable range) while energized - the contacts are bad. A relay with bad contacts can still make the GPs work, but this test will tell you if the relay is sound - or sounding last call.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
What is the elevation where you are at? Just wondering since you have lived at sea level or below sea level for so long. LOL
I almost missed this...
I'm at 1100 ft here, so I'm about 1099 ft above where I was living in FL

Old 09-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
To clarify my suggestion: In the video - black lead on right post, red lead on left post. You will see 12V. Turn key, you will see the voltage drop across the relay - there should be none when energized. If you have a significant voltage drop (I need to check on the tolerable range) while energized - the contacts are bad. A relay with bad contacts can still make the GPs work, but this test will tell you if the relay is sound - or sounding last call.
Thanks Rich, My plan has changed & I'm taking my truck to a local shop tomorrow to have the GP's changed out. He's going to check my relay (& more than likely replace it) & retorque my injectors.
The Rv park I'm staying at wont let me work on the truck & I start a new job Monday working second shift. It's dipping into the 40's at night & My truck would never start come morning.
I hate to pay someone else to wrench on my truck, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Man, I'm gonna have to start reading the " Winter related" threads that I've always ignored in the past.
The only thing cold in Florida is the beer!

Quick Reply: Signs of a loose injector??