Rust Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 AM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rust Prevention

Anything recommended for a new truck?

I see some threads on cab corners and now bumpers. Wondering if there is a recommended or approved rust treatment? Or even not approved but recommended? Most concern is I live in a snow/salt zone. Last truck rusted from inside to out but I am not disappointed as it took years. Looking to see if anyone coats/ sprays, seals, or anything to the new trucks.

Last truck (2003 F350) had doors rust through and the rear wheel wells from the inside out. This was common on that year. The truck stayed outside 365 days a year and Pennsylvania loves salt on the roads. I wouldn't say it was a rust bucket, but after 12 years the entire underneath was falling apart by touch. Lines rusted through and such. The body panels were waxed a few times a year and held out pretty good, although all the lower parts of doors and corners were rusted through or needed some work. (Doors and bed fixed once already 6 years ago).
Not unhappy with its performance but like to do anything I can to avoid it again.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The best one I have heard about is Fluid Film.

Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The day after I bought my '13 FX4, I took it in to have it undercoated and rust proofed. This is the first I've had a truck I've had it done to, I always did it myself. I crawled under the truck afterwards and they got the stuff in every nook and cranny. Time will tell hopefully, as I live in Saltville too..

I also added these to keep the salt spray to a minimum.

Wheel-Well Liners | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories

Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium

X2. I spray fluid film on the entire undercarriage of my 2013 every fall. 2 winters now and no visible signs of rust anywhere. Used just shy of a gallon on the two applications. Best price I can find by the gallon is Amazon with free shipping.

I use an automotive type spay gun hooked up to air. Works great.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM
porkchopsandcollards
New User
What would you do with a slightly older truck?

Originally Posted by PrinceValium

I have a 2010 and moved to Ohio a few years ago, so this rust problem is new to me. My truck is showing some rust of most the non-painted undercarriage surfaces.

Would you just start doing an annual FluidFilm / Krown treatment? Would you try to knock some of the rust off somehow and treat with a POR-15 type application? And then start an annual application?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by porkchopsandcollards
What would you do with a slightly older truck?

I have a 2010 and moved to Ohio a few years ago, so this rust problem is new to me. My truck is showing some rust of most the non-painted undercarriage surfaces.

Would you just start doing an annual FluidFilm / Krown treatment? Would you try to knock some of the rust off somehow and treat with a POR-15 type application? And then start an annual application?

It depends how much time/effort and $ you want to put into it. POR-15 is good stuff but application time is heavy.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have sprayed Fluid film under my 2012 every fall. Only time will tell if it works. So far so good.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:12 AM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will look into the Fluid Film. Never used an automotive paint gun before. Whats cost for a gallon?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:18 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I buy it from a local industrial supply for about $60.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:09 PM
porkchopsandcollards
New User
You tend to get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by Rob.D
It depends how much time/effort and $ you want to put into it. POR-15 is good stuff but application time is heavy.
What else did you have in mind?

I'd be willing to spend some $$. My car is 15 years old and going strong, and I'd hope to do the same with my truck. So I'd look at any rust prevention costs now and spread them over the next 5+ years.

I sort of blame Ford a bit. If they'd be honest and say without some additional annual rust prevention, you're going to have issues in 4 - 5 years, I think most people would pay for that. They should put in on the recommended service schedule.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Syclone Rob
New User
Depending on where you live, Krown IMO is the best rust prevention application. I get it done every august as it drips and during the warm weather it seeps into all the crevices and protects it before the winter salt attacks the truck. Though its a bit more costly then fluidfilm. I pay $130 Krown Rust Control| Rustproofing & Protection for Cars, Trucks, Vans

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
at the Rust Store a gallon can of Fluid Film is $40+ shipping. Make sure you don't buy the liquid-A version since it's for indoor use only.

I also use the aerosol version with an extension hose for inside the doors/rockers and other hard to reach areas that don't see a lot of direct water spray.

You can buy an undercoating gun from the rust store for $30 that works great with fluid film.

I've been using fluid film for two years now and so far it's working, the underside of the truck is still as shiny and clean as the day I drove it off the dealers lot. Time will tell what kind of results I have after long term use, but I think it will make a huge difference.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I use Fluid Film on my 99 SD and it works great. Getting ready to do the new f150.
I get it at John Deere for about 40.00 a gal. A cheap automotive spray gun works fine. Its non toxic but has an odd smell that goes away fairly fast. Google it and read the history. It was developed for the Navy during WWII to fight corrosion on ships to eliminate so much painting.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will be my third year putting Fluid Film on my truck. So far, so good. I get it from Amazon. They are currently showing $53 for a gallon, but I'm still on my first gallon that I bought in 2012, and I've done my truck twice and my wife's car once. I have been through a few aerosol cans, though.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Buck268
Elder User
Did Amsoil HDMP on exposed sheet metal and Fluid Film in crevices such as frame rails, rocker and door panels last year. No gripe with the HDMP per say but noting some rust colored staining near seams treated with it. The FF is still creeping out from various frame voids and my plan is to refresh with a complete FF spray this year. Should be cheaper AND more effective.

Of course the downside, which made me shy away originally, is how the Fluid Film likes to cake up into dirty greasy layer. Good and bad, though.

Quick Reply: Rust Prevention