1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get fan off 2002 F350 V10

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM
tmmaloney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get fan off 2002 F350 V10

I joined this basically just to answer this question. I need to get the fan off my 2002 F350 V10. On old trucks I know you take off the belt, and take out the 4 bolts that hold the pulley on. On my truck the bolts are so close to the shaft I can't get anything but an open end wrench on them. (10mm). On the shaft that the fan and clutch mechanism are on, there is a spot for a large wrench. I'm assuming that I have to unscrew this, as opposed to the small bolts that hold the pulley on. I was using a large adjustable wrench to turn this back and forth, I'm guessing it's at least a 1 and 1/2" wrench to turn this.

My question is; how do I stop it from turning when I try to unscrew the fan? Is there a special tool? I have the grill off, cross member above it off, the radiator is out, the shrowd is out. I am just looking at a fan with a de-clutching mechanism in front of it, and have no idea how to get the fan off.

I'll explain why I'm doing this later if anyone is interested.

Thanks for any potential help,

Last edited by tmmaloney; 02-27-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FAN CLUTCH REMOVAL

The fan clutch does unscrew off of the water pump. There is a special tool that holds the pulley from turning, and it grabs on the 4 bolts that holds the pulley onto the pump.

RON

Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM
tmmaloney
New User
F350 V10 seized, then unseized, no loss of oil pressure.

Thank You Ron,

I talked to a mechanic and got the run down on how to remove the fan. I've only worked on older vehicles which were set up differently.

I'll write a little about what happened with the truck so that anyone who wants to can give me advice.

The engine started sputtering very slightly, then in less than 10 minutes, it backfired several times, surged forward, and quit. The engine would not turn at all with the key. I manually turned the engine forwards and backwards by putting a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt, and the engine seemed to free up, which allowed the truck to briefly start. When I was turning the engine back and forth it stopped solid at about one revolution of the crankshaft, at first.

I'm thinking a chunk of something, from somewhere seized the engine. It had oil pressure, and did not overheat. First guess, is something happened with one of the timing chains, which is why I'm pulling the front of the motor off. If it had chucked a rod, or dropped a valve, I wouldn't think it would have started without any significant noise.

Thanks again,

Old 02-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tmmaloney
Thank You Ron,

I talked to a mechanic and got the run down on how to remove the fan. I've only worked on older vehicles which were set up differently.

I'll write a little about what happened with the truck so that anyone who wants to can give me advice.

The engine started sputtering very slightly, then in less than 10 minutes, it backfired several times, surged forward, and quit. The engine would not turn at all with the key. I manually turned the engine forwards and backwards by putting a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt, and the engine seemed to free up, which allowed the truck to briefly start. When I was turning the engine back and forth it stopped solid at about one revolution of the crankshaft, at first.

I'm thinking a chunk of something, from somewhere seized the engine. It had oil pressure, and did not overheat. First guess, is something happened with one of the timing chains, which is why I'm pulling the front of the motor off. If it had chucked a rod, or dropped a valve, I wouldn't think it would have started without any significant noise.

Thanks again,
Did you remove the belt before you tried to turn it over ? My guess is you have a accesory that is seized up..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Did you remove the belt before you tried to turn it over ? My guess is you have a accesory that is seized up..
That happens more than you might think. One member here swore his V-10 was seized up, but it turned out to be his A/C compressor.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM
tmmaloney
New User
truck was sputtering for 5-10 minutes before it seized. At the time I thought it had a bad coil, because I've replaced 4. Then all hell broke loose, it backfired several times, surged forward and stopped. Engine was seized, couldn't even be turned manually. I thought maybe a timing chain issue, like one broke and gathered up seizing the engine, and throwing the timing off.

(There are two timing chains, one for each cam.)

I was able to manually turn the engine backwards by hand, then forwards, then I went back and forth, and it started. I had to shut it off quickly because I had drained the oil to see if there was anything in it. It ran rough, but I had two of the ten ignition coils disconnected.

Anyways, it's not seized because I ran it without oil. I don't think I dropped a valve because it sputtered for 10 minutes before anything major happened. Turning the crankshaft back and forth by hand several times seemed to free it up, and the belt was still connected. I'll check every component on the belt, but I'm thinking timing chain issue at this point.

I assume if I dropped a valve I would have had some serious drama quickly, but that's not what happened.

It didn't overheat, never lost oil pressure, had plenty of clean oil, and so on.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tmmaloney
truck was sputtering for 5-10 minutes before it seized. At the time I thought it had a bad coil, because I've replaced 4. Then all hell broke loose, it backfired several times, surged forward and stopped. Engine was seized, couldn't even be turned manually. I thought maybe a timing chain issue, like one broke and gathered up seizing the engine, and throwing the timing off.

(There are two timing chains, one for each cam.)

I was able to manually turn the engine backwards by hand, then forwards, then I went back and forth, and it started. I had to shut it off quickly because I had drained the oil to see if there was anything in it. It ran rough, but I had two of the ten ignition coils disconnected.

Anyways, it's not seized because I ran it without oil. I don't think I dropped a valve because it sputtered for 10 minutes before anything major happened. Turning the crankshaft back and forth by hand several times seemed to free it up, and the belt was still connected. I'll check every component on the belt, but I'm thinking timing chain issue at this point.

I assume if I dropped a valve I would have had some serious drama quickly, but that's not what happened.

It didn't overheat, never lost oil pressure, had plenty of clean oil, and so on.
We got that part, take off the belt and try again....

Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Modular engines are interference design so if you did drop a timing chain you probably have value damage as well. Anyway start with the simple stuff (i.e. remove the belt and try again as other suggested) and go from there.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:44 PM
tmmaloney
New User
Diagnosed it

Valve Spring broke, valve fell into cylinder, goodbye V10

Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM
DavidB
Elder User
How many miles on the engine? I guess it just depends on experience and skill level, but I certainly wouldn't dump my v10 just because it dropped a valve. Not easy and not cheap, but certainly repairable.