Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Elder User

BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.
Towing performance question and negative boost

Late build 2004 F250 about 150k on the engine. 3.73 gears. I've had the truck for a year. Flushed and new radiator immediately after purchase and went with ELC. Saw high deltas (30 degrees unloaded at 65) and put in a new oil cooler. EGR is deleted. My deltas still run about 12 degrees. I can drink out of my coolant system and the oil cooler only has 8k miles on it. So I know my oil cooler is good. I may have a compromised oil cooler bypass valve. I don't worry about it. There's a small aircraft prop in the front of the engine that cools things off well when it kicks on.

I've got a few questions from those experienced enough to know.

1) Towing the 8300 lbs TT at 75mph, I get ECTs of 200-205 and EOTs of 250-256. When it hits 256, the fan gets to 3000 rpm quick and everything cools down. Should I be worried? I don't. It has to be the oil cooler bypass valve. Where is the easiest place to get a replacement? I read about 6 months ago that IH has a kit you can buy for around $100. It has all the valves in it and the kit is hard to find. Anyone know anything about this? This is one of the reasons I run synthetic.

2) Is my performance where it needs to be? I tow at 75 to 80 mph. Seems to do better at 75 pulling hills than at 65 mph. I use Torque Pro. My load is 85 to 98% all the time. Shifts down when climbing hills and maintaining 70 mph. The strange this is that my boost goes from 22 to negative when I'm close to WOT when towing or not. The intake pressure goes to 0.7-2.0 when this happens. It does not seem to hurt anything or drop performance when this happens. The VGT stays around 15% before and after the boost goes negative. I'm around 2200 rpm so I didn't think I wanted the veins to be closed. Is there a harm in letting this continue or should I try and find out what is going on. Are there other possibilities other than the intake pressure sensor or its wiring?

I'm looking to upgrade to a 10 to 11k fifth wheel and want to make sure the truck is up to the task.

Does the above seem normal? Do most owners see similar performance? Does it appear I'm low on power? The truck runs great. Cranks in less than 2 seconds unless it sits for two weeks or so.
Bryan -- 2004 f250, 4x4, CC, 220 k miles. Egr delete. HPOP at 180k. New oil cooler at 200 and 220k. Coolant flush and coolant filter at 220. Fumoto valves in block. Blue spring fuel regulator upgrade. International EC-1 ELC coolant. 140 amp Alt, new starter. Updated turbo drain tube. The rest is stock.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Elder User

BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.
How about a bump.

And since nobody replied, can you at least comment on the boost going negative at WOT? Is this normal? Am I on the right track to take a look at the intake pressure sensor?
Bryan -- 2004 f250, 4x4, CC, 220 k miles. Egr delete. HPOP at 180k. New oil cooler at 200 and 220k. Coolant flush and coolant filter at 220. Fumoto valves in block. Blue spring fuel regulator upgrade. International EC-1 ELC coolant. 140 amp Alt, new starter. Updated turbo drain tube. The rest is stock.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Posting Guru

Money-Pit is a name known to allMoney-Pit is a name known to allMoney-Pit is a name known to allMoney-Pit is a name known to allMoney-Pit is a name known to allMoney-Pit is a name known to all
As far as Torque Pro going negative under high boost....mine did that for a long time at 18 psi I think. TP had an update a couple months ago and it corrected the issue. Have you updated TP lately?

Your EOT of 250° + while towing is too hot. You may have the base plate bypass valve issue like you mentioned. I'd check with Tousley, now called Autonation Whitebear lake. ( I'm trying to get a link, but my tablet doesn't cooperate on this stuff...)
2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer 2004.5 6.0 diesel 4X4 -Dieselsite coolant filter - Blue spring - ScanGauge II/Torque Pro/Isspro EGT & FP for gauges - 2012 mirrors - 200° thermostat - I'm not a professional mechanic....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Posting Guru

CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I am with Money, what you describe does not seem normal. I can't say from experience because I don't tow that heavy, but some on here do tow that much and more. I may only tow up to 6k lbs and the oil temps barely crack 200 deg.

IIRC one guy had to replace the oil cooler cover to solve his issue, so you may be correct about the cooler bypass valve.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
We are towing the rig you see with no problems if we stay out of the mountains. We weigh 20K gcw which is max for the 04. We weighed on certified scale. We have 189K on the clock. We are stock.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.
1847059C46 is Internationals part number for the oil filter base. Sounds like that could be your problem.

Have you pulled the oil filter to take a quick look at the valves in there? Maybe something might be obvious.
1977 F-150 4" lift 35/12.50-15 6 year project almost complete
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB1 View Post
I am with Money, what you describe does not seem normal. I can't say from pooexperience because I don't tow that heavy, but some on here do tow that much and more. I may only tow up to 6k lbs and the oil temps barely crack 200 deg.

IIRC one guy had to replace the oil cooler cover to solve his issue, so you may be correct about the cooler bypass valve.

Thanks for the input guys. Towing 6k and not keeping Eot below 210 is great. How fast do you tow? Are you stock? If not, what upgrades do you have to keep the Eot that low? Thanks again
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi View Post
We are towing the rig you see with no problems if we stay out of the mountains. We weigh 20K gcw which is max for the 04. We weighed on certified scale. We have 189K on the clock. We are stock.
What EOTs do you run and how fast do you tow?

I thought I updated TP about amonth ago. I'll check and see if there is an update.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Senior User

jsm180 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I see 230* max on the oil pulling hills, 200-210 on the flats at 60-65 mph. No way I would pull a 5th wheel 80 mph let alone a TT, I've seen the damage a 60 mph blowout will do.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Posting Guru

CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanStein View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Towing 6k and not keeping Eot below 210 is great. How fast do you tow? Are you stock? If not, what upgrades do you have to keep the Eot that low? Thanks again
Just to clarify, my wife does the towing. She tows horses and is very easy on them, never goes more then 65mph.

When I drained and flushed the coolant I stained it through a coffee filter and got zero contaminants.

We run a tow tune, and have an EGR delete, and oversize exhaust. We use T5 10W-30 oil and I add Archoil every other change along with ELC coolant.

FWIW.... some don't recommend using 10W-30 oil when towing.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM