Sponsored by:

Totalled

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totalled

So here I was sitting in traffic coming through Atlanta. Its stop and go when suddenly in my rearview someone is coming up behind my way too fast.

BOOM.

Girl behind me didnt even hit her brakes, and slammed into my back doing more than 45. So, my excursion saved me. Im not damaged, and it LOOKED like only simple damage front and back. Except, she hit me so hard there is "excessive frame damage" and her insurance company is calling it a total loss.

So 2002 Excursion V8 Gas - worth approximately 8k. Forget how well I keep it up, and how it looked brand new, and how much I love it. Im now being handed 8k and being forced to go find a new car.

FML.

So, here I am. The only thing I didnt absolutely LOVE about my truck was the gas mileage.

I was told or read somewhere (maybe here) that the Diesel excursions could be tuned to get well over 20 mpg. Is this true? I love my truck and will probably be looking to replace it with another Excursion. What should I look for? I found a 2003 not to far away, 4wd v8 diesel for about 12k.

Is there a certain one I should look for? What kind of mileage should I expect? I already know I cant find another 9 seater

I'd love any advice you guys can give

Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I would demand that they sell it back to you for 1-2k if they are pulling that kind of crap. You can at least recover the interior and any other small things you have upgraded over the years. Really hate to hear about it and glad to hear you walked away safe (I bet a Smart car would have fared just as good ) and hope everything works out for you

Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Codelizard
So here I was sitting in traffic coming through Atlanta. Its stop and go when suddenly in my rearview someone is coming up behind my way too fast.

BOOM.

Girl behind me didnt even hit her brakes, and slammed into my back doing more than 45. So, my excursion saved me. Im not damaged, and it LOOKED like only simple damage front and back. Except, she hit me so hard there is "excessive frame damage" and her insurance company is calling it a total loss.

So 2002 Excursion V8 Gas - worth approximately 8k. Forget how well I keep it up, and how it looked brand new, and how much I love it. Im now being handed 8k and being forced to go find a new car.

FML.

So, here I am. The only thing I didnt absolutely LOVE about my truck was the gas mileage.

I was told or read somewhere (maybe here) that the Diesel excursions could be tuned to get well over 20 mpg. Is this true? I love my truck and will probably be looking to replace it with another Excursion. What should I look for? I found a 2003 not to far away, 4wd vb diesel for about 12k.

Is there a certain one I should look for? What kind of mileage should I expect? I already know I cant find another 9 seater

I'd love any advice you guys can give
Sorry to hear that. Think the girl was on her phone? My commuter car was totaled by a girl on her phone who hit the gas instead of the brake... Makes me wish there were some harsher punishments for people who are at fault for wrecks that are, for the most part, avoidable by simply PAYING ATTENTION when you drive.

Hope you are able to find something to your liking.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about the EX, glad your ok.
I'll be driving through Atlanta on Sunday, but I'm going to have Mark plow thru first or at least stop the traffic to clear the road for my ex.
I have the 6.0 with 5inch lift and 35's on my last road trip averaging 75 mph I averaged 18.5 mpg. The range is great, much better than my previous ex 6.8....

Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get more from the insurance company, if it is worth more! you need to find similarly equipped X`s with the same mileage in the same condition and print out the prices. if you put up a decent fight you should be able to get 1-2 grand more if any other available X averages out to that much.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Sorry to hear about the EX, glad your ok.
I'll be driving through Atlanta on Sunday, but I'm going to have Mark plow thru first or at least stop the traffic to clear the road for my ex.
I have the 6.0 with 5inch lift and 35's on my last road trip averaging 75 mph I averaged 18.5 mpg. The range is great, much better than my previous ex 6.8....
Michael, I did not receive the itinerary I am sure I will be clearing I-75 but then going north through ATL am I clearing I-85, GA 400 or continuing on up I-75?

I will have to use different techniques/explosives depending on the final route.

For the small jobs.

We aim to please.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Do not take the first offer! get comparable trucks with close to the same milage and condition, factor in any new parts you have receipts for. When my '00 was totaled they tried offering me $9,500 for it, i said NO WAY i could not find another in the same condition in state. They ended up paying me $12,700. The best part was i only paid $7,800 for it two months before the wreck haha

Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Hell, use my ad for price comparison lol:

2001 Ford Excursion $8,000 Possible Trade - 100610474 | Custom Sport Utility Classifieds | Sport Utility Sales

Mine is just up there for kicks honestly and is usually 9k, but I lowered it to **** off a guy a few weeks back. If someone had cash in hand I would sell but I wouldn't take any less than 9k. Once my new wheels and tires are on and the running boards are on I'm not going to sell it at all.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When looking for your next one, take your time and be patient to find exactly what you want. There seem to be plenty of clean, low mileage examples that come up pretty frequently on eBay, etc.

Good luck and glad you were not hurt.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
ghglenn
Junior User
I guess she didn't see you....taking up the entire lane. Lol.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM
bbacon
Freshman User
I know its a bit of a trip but then again you could come see formula 1! Texas has many fine examples in the diesel range in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas. Fly in check em out by one see a great race, some football load up on BBQ and drive the new X home!!

Old 08-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
yeah, Ive already gathered receipts and such and Im trying to find another 9 seater for price comparison, so i can boost up the price some.

As far as waiting for the right truck... I'm game, but I cant just walk in the meantime.. Im a single dad with 5 kids. I cant not have transportation...

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM
miko6810
Mountain Pass
I wonder if that spring loaded bumper that attaches to your recevier would have worked?

http://www.superbumper.com

Glad your okay...Atlanta is a messed up place to drive in.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Michael, I did not receive the itinerary I am sure I will be clearing I-75 but then going north through ATL am I clearing I-85, GA 400 or continuing on up I-75?
Looks like GA 400.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Looks like GA 400.
Braves are home for an 8:05 PM start you will want to be north of I-20 by 6:30 ish.

Tracks will be cleared.

Quick Reply: Totalled