I recently bought a 2010 f-250 with a 6.4.
I want to change all the fluids, filters to start the maintenance program .
Since I work at John Deere and deal with Tier 4 engines , I was wondering your thoughts as to using the yellow J.D Cool-Gard II antifreeze. Designed for use in Tier 4 diesels and good for 6 years. ( with proper conditioning)
Or should I run the red Rotella ELC ?
We had a problem with our guys mixing coolants of different types because we have so many different pieces of equipment and trucks. In addition each manufacturer claims you need to run a specific coolant. This coolant mixes with all the different machines we have so we eliminated the issue. The coolant is working well for us with no issues, but review it to make sure its right for you before you consider it.
Few quick tips:
1. Follow the severe maintenance schedule
2. Test the nitrates in the coolant frequently
3. Don't idle the truck excessively
4. Use quality fuel from a known source ( The fuel systems on these engines are not forgiving to water in fuel)
5. Watch your oil level to make sure its not growing. ( Can be an indication of fuel in the oil. The DPF emission system's on these engines can attribute to additional fuel in the crankcase which can result in additional wear or failure on engine components if left unnoticed. )
Got beer ? 611 HP 1205 TQ
08 F350 CC FX4, 6.4 PSD,PMF 4.5" LIFT WITH TRACTION BARS,4.30 REAR,NAV,DASH DAQ,VOLANT INTAKE,SPEARCO INTERCOOLER,STAGE III WATER/METH,67 GAL TITAN TANK,EGR DELETE,ARP HEAD STUDS,72MM LP BILLET TURBO,RCD CONVERTER,FS-2500 BYPASS FILTER, AIR DOG II FUEL PUMP,CUSTOM CCV,MAG-HYTEC TRANS PAN AND DIFF COVER, CUSTOM HD TRANS COOLER, SEIC MOD,AMP STEPS
So after doing a little research, Shell ELC doesn't provide a Ford rating but does provide a Cummins rating of 14603 in which Motorcraft Gold coolant confirms to. BUT, Only the ULTRA ELC meeting the Cummins rating. Rotella ELC has a rating of AEB 90.47. So is it recommended to go with the ULTRA ELC?
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.