Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Senior User

The other Joe is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3 fuel leak 97 F250

Hi all,

I have fuel leaking into the valley from the rear of the right cylinder head area.

Is there a line to the injectors that leaks from up there?

It coming right near the factory engine lift bracket.

I've never had that area apart and don't know what can leak down the inside of the intake or head.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe W
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Elder User

jchosler is starting off with a positive reputation.
The pump/fuel bowl plumbs into the front and rear of the heads. climb over the top of the engine. typically the turbo has to come out to access/remove those fittings, you might have to cut the rear driver to clear one of the up pipes for removal

97 F250 HD---3.5" D60 RSK Swap (1 ton suspension) with matching rear both at 4.10's, Beans D66, 6637, 3"x4" Tymer DP with 4" exaust and kitty delete, EBPV delete, DIY stage II's, Stricly Diesel electric fuel swap, Tony Wildman 6 pos chip, HPX, TE modded 17* HPOP, SD IC, Custom ranch hands front and rear, and my crawler of course
Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchosler View Post
The pump/fuel bowl plumbs into the front and rear of the heads. climb over the top of the engine. typically the turbo has to come out to access/remove those fittings, you might have to cut the rear driver to clear one of the up pipes for removal

So it's probably coming from the fitting at the rear of the right head?

I put a pic in my albums. The album label fuel leak and Eagle.

We had a local eagle stop by. I don't see them everyday.

Thanks,

Joe W
Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Senior User

bryanlindborg600 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
have you tried looking around well its running, it could be spraying or making its way to that location from one of the lower hose of the fuel bowl going to the pump...just a thought
97 f350 4x4 cc,lb,5spd, 165,000 miles: dp tuner,egt/boost guages, 4inch lift 36x13.5 km2s, clay's 6637 intake, ebpv delete, 3inch dp to 5inch no cat with muffler, line x'd bed, o6 lariat seats,..mixed reviewed dodge tow mirrors, stage 1's When funds come together
97 4x4 5sp f350 standard cab lb 182k.. 6" skyjacker lift
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Junior User

Robbieo11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600 View Post
have you tried looking around well its running, it could be spraying or making its way to that location from one of the lower hose of the fuel bowl going to the pump...just a thought
I agree alot of rubber there 15 year old rubber will start to spray easy. I lost a half a tank of fuel so look while it is running use an led light help see fuel easier
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600 View Post

Good thought,

But all the rubber is new. I just resealed the fuel bowl and replaced the hoses last month.

This is definitely coming down the inside of the intake/head and into the valley.

The suggestion of the line in the rear of the head is what I am going to check next.
I didn't know they would leak forward though. I thought if the plugs were leaking it would all go down the back of the engine.

Thanks,

Joe W
Old 08-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbieo11 View Post
I agree alot of rubber there 15 year old rubber will start to spray easy. I lost a half a tank of fuel so look while it is running use an led light help see fuel easier

Thanks guys,

I cleaned and prepped everything and let it run in the shop for about 1 hour.

I see it getting wet under the banjo bolt for the fuel pump.

So you and Bryan were probably on the right track with the spraying. Or it's getting blown up there.

I have the banjo bolt washers. So I will change them out.
Hopefully it's not the fuel pump.

Is there a way to tell if it's one or the other?

Thanks,

Joe W.

Learning diesels one repair at a time.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Postmaster

Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.
The pump usually leaks at the weep hole which is located at the bottom of the pump to the left of center, towards passenger side. Usually drying it off with shop rag then running it and feel was the best way I found the problem. If it is the banjo washers then try tightening the banjo bolt up. It might just be slightly loose.

1997 F250 HD CC 4x4 7.3L - E4OD - 3.55's
Napa 6637 - FPR Shim 3" Down Pipe & CD 203 Stat
Riffraff
HPX - Interceptor Scan Gauge - Cobalt Digital Pyro
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
The pump usually leaks at the weep hole which is located at the bottom of the pump to the left of center, towards passenger side. Usually drying it off with shop rag then running it and feel was the best way I found the problem. If it is the banjo washers then try tightening the banjo bolt up. It might just be slightly loose.

Good info.

I will find the weep hole and do as you say.

If the banjo washers turn out to only be loose I'll be amazed.
My luck hasn't been going that way lately.

Thanks

Joe W
Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
There are seals where the banjo fitting y into lines to each head.those seals are square cut compression.I have seen lots leak.I replaced mind then one year later when I did efuel found them deteriorating well already.they are prob leaking and leaking down the line to the banjo bolt if I were guessing or betting
Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
There are seals where the banjo fitting y into lines to each head.those seals are square cut compression.I have seen lots leak.I replaced mind then one year later when I did efuel found them deteriorating well already.they are prob leaking and leaking down the line to the banjo bolt if I were guessing or betting
Thanks Fordman,

Are you talking about the two orings in the valley at the Y?
Or at the heads?

I didn't have a chance to look at it today. Probably over the weekend.

Thanks,

Joe W
Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel