Modular V10 (6.8l)  

1999 F250 sparkplug issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM
kennyb68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 F250 sparkplug issue

I know this is probably covered somewhere else.
But I have a 1999 with only 90K.
I only use it to tow my race car.
Well on this past Sunday my engine spit out a #4 spark plug.
They were the original factory plugs AWSF-22E.

What should I do to the other 9 plugs to prevent this from happening?

Thanks
Ken

Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have several options. You can "schedule" to re-tighten your plugs at certain intervals (once a year/every other year ,or 30K etc.) . That is what some 2-valve V-10 owners are doing . Another option , you can go ahead and put "reputable" inserts (like timesert, a known permanent fix) on all spark plug holes . You can do your own , if that is what you want , here is the procedure to read :

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...th-photos.html

Also, go to timesert.com and read all the info relevant to Ford Triton timesert repair.

There is also a "travelling" repair shop called blownsparkplug.com . They travel to your location (at your expense) to fix it with their proprietary method. They sell an emergency plug that can be used when a plug is blown out (to cut the noise , after unhooking that cylinder's injector ).

There may be some other options too .

Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain Kenny, mine did the same thing on #5 about 2 years ago. I pondered the same question and decided since I had the truck down already I would go ahead and fix the other 9 instead of waiting till they blew out. I read all I could find on the subject and settled on the timesert repair kit. I had to order extra inserts since the kit didn't contain enough for all 10 cylinders. The kit contained everything I needed except for common hand tools. As for me the timesert kit worked perfectly and once I did a couple of holes and got the hang of it the rest of the holes were really easy and went pretty fast. On each hole I did I hand rotated the engine to make sure both valves were closed so the chips of metal I cut out didn't go anywhere except into the cylinder. They recommended packing the flutes of the reamer and the tap with grease to catch the chips. That sounded good in theory but I don't care what you do you can't catch all the chips with the grease and the chips that do fall in the cylinder are very hard to get out with grease on them. I simply lubed the reamer and tap with cutting oil and let the chips fall into the cylinder, then I used my shop vac to suck them out with. I necked the shop vac hose down to a hose that would just fit into the new spark plug hole using shop rags and duct tape and sucked out all the chips I could. I then took my air blower and attached a very small rubberized line to the tip of it using a compression fitting. After I sucked out the chips with a shop vac I inserted the blower hose till it touched the top of the piston and blew out more of the chips, the little hose will really whip around in the cylinder. I would again vacuum the cylinder and then blow it again repeating till I felt like all the chips were out. I am sure there are other ways to do this but this is what worked for me. The timesert kit worked great and since I fixed the plug holes I have not had any more problems with it. Just my .02 worth.....good luck.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Won't using the new replacement plugs with full threads solve the problem? I have a 99 4.6 P71 Crown Vic. I just had the plugs changed 130,000 miles. The newer plugs had a full thread rather than what I call half thread of the OEM plugs. I was told these full thread plugs would stop the issue of blowing plugs out.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Won't using the new replacement plugs with full threads solve the problem? I have a 99 4.6 P71 Crown Vic. I just had the plugs changed 130,000 miles. The newer plugs had a full thread rather than what I call half thread of the OEM plugs. I was told these full thread plugs would stop the issue of blowing plugs out.

No. The head still only has a few threads for the plug to engage with.