Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Postmaster

Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.
The Carnage Has Begun

Well, the knocking engine is out and on the stand. Tomorrow morning the pan comes off and I'll see how bad the bearing(s) is/are. Still have to find a decent micrometer somewhere to check the bearing journals. Here are toady's truck **** images. Engine pulls are boring, so only three pics of it; more to follow tomorrow . . .

Click the image to open in full size.

"I guess we should probably exchange insurance information. I have none." - Homer Simpson (after a car accident)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Elder User

Mowing Man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Jeb Jones
Well listen to you! Engine pull pics are boring! Haven't you come a long way lol!
2002 F350 Lariat crewcab, V10, 105k miles
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Elder User

Dan V has a good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a good reputation on FTE.
You want I should mail you a micrometer?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Postmaster

Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.
But pics of an engine pull are boring, unless there's a connecting rod sticking out somewhere or something like that. Besides, nobody wants to see pics of my boots sticking out from under a truck

One thing happened that wasn't so boring. I smacked the end of my air ratchet against the frame and the fitting broke off. The end of the hose whipping around whacked me in the forehead, lol.

"I guess we should probably exchange insurance information. I have none." - Homer Simpson (after a car accident)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant future
I like your paint scheme. Looks like a fire service truck.

PAA Member #3
2003 Lariat CC4X4

Cold Start thread
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
You want I should mail you a micrometer?
I appreciate the offer, but it's something I've been needing to buy anyhow. If I can't find one locally, I might take you up on that, though so I can at least check the crankshaft.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
I like your paint scheme. Looks like a fire service truck.
Thanks Jason!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
Fleabay, you can get onesy twosey or whole sets on the cheap.
If fortune truly favors the bold..

Harbor Freight does sell 0-1, 1-2, and i think 2-3 mics.
Inch pounds and foot pounds are one thing...

A couple to three percent variance when im playing down in the tenths... naw... mitutoyo, starrett, b&s...
You might want to peek at some gauge blocks too... like big parallels. Use them to quick check the decks and heads for variance. If you cant find any gaps using a light then you should be fine. If there is enough for light to shine under the gauge block... consider having them trued.

Getting ahead of myself.

Measuring the small bores for the lifters is pretty easy with a set of telescoping i.d. mics. They look like a T made of tubular metal. To use them, unlock and colapse to "load" them..lock.. place in the bore. Unlock. Find the point of highest resistance moving the contact points back and forth just slightly and lock again. Very gently retract the mic and measure between the contact points with appropriate o.d. micrometer.

Taps to clean out all the different sized threaded holes on both block and heads.

Drawing a blank on any other stuff right off hand...

Anxious to see the progress!
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t

A couple to three percent variance when im playing down in the tenths... naw... mitutoyo, starrett, b&s...
You might want to peek at some gauge blocks too... like big parallels. Use them to quick check the decks and heads for variance. If you cant find any gaps using a light then you should be fine. If there is enough for light to shine under the gauge block... consider having them trued.

Getting ahead of myself.

Measuring the small bores for the lifters is pretty easy with a set of telescoping i.d. mics. They look like a T made of tubular metal. To use them, unlock and colapse to "load" them..lock.. place in the bore. Unlock. Find the point of highest resistance moving the contact points back and forth just slightly and lock again. Very gently retract the mic and measure between the contact points with appropriate o.d. micrometer.

Taps to clean out all the different sized threaded holes on both block and heads.

Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Nil desperandum

aawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to allaawlberninf350 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof13T View Post

Getting ahead of myself.

Copious beer.

Fixed it for ya.

Would Plastigage be useful in this case?
Isspro EVs 50 cent Coolant Filter Hutch/Harpoon DP Tuner Walker BTM 4R100 w/FTVB nlemerise AC mod Mile Marker 449ss RedHead 08 diff cover Fumoto DDM HID 55w 4500k Bilsteins Donaldson DBL7405 Peragon Bed Cover SSBC V8 Frozen Rotor Hawk LTS
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Following this one. Really like to know what went wrong. You should be able to see a bad crank bearing really quick. Please take pictures of everything to post. Like to see the top end along with the bottom end as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Elder User

BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.
I noticed you kept the AC compressor on the engine. Certainly nice not to have to tie it all off to the side, but you'll have to have the system drawn down and charged again right?

I'm learning here - so pulling the hood and leaving the grill in place is possible with an engine hoist that has enough throw, I take it. I had not seen an engine pull yet where the grill was in place. Looks like all the coolers came out though?

That's a nice looking engine compartment.

Jeff
2000 F350 7.3L 4x4 CCLB SRW (SOLD). 08 Host Everest (SOLD). 84 Searay 210 (SOLD).
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWST View Post
I noticed you kept the AC compressor on the engine. Certainly nice not to have to tie it all off to the side, but you'll have to have the system drawn down and charged again right?
Yes. The evaporator coil has a small leak, so I'm going to change it while I'm doing everything else.

Quote:
I'm learning here - so pulling the hood and leaving the grill in place is possible with an engine hoist that has enough throw, I take it. I had not seen an engine pull yet where the grill was in place. Looks like all the coolers came out though?
All the coolers have to come out to have enough clearance front to back, but it does clear the grille, even with all the accessory brackets on the engine.

Quote:
That's a nice looking engine compartment.
Thanks! The pictures are kind of deceiving, though. It isn't too bad for the age of the truck, but it does need a good cleaning. It was too cold to clean it last time the engine was out, but this time I don't have an excuse not to.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:36 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
The grille comes out in like 30 seconds. I would have done the extra 30 seconds - mostly because I'm unlucky and I would break it.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Senior User

snknby123 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Subcribing.... looking fwd to learning something here. Thanks for starting this thread.
2001 F250 Lariat 7.3L ISSPro Gauges, Van Turbo 1.15AR with WW2, IAH delete, EBPV Delete with Blank Pedestal, IH Bellow pipes, Rebuilt 4R100 with Transgo HD kit, 4" Turbo Back MagnaFlow, Ford AIS, Hutch and Harpoon, FTE Resonator, Hydra PHP with Bill and Gearhead tunes.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel