Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomingowen View Post
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...l#post11346356

Here's the thread that covers it all,
I beg to differ. If you go to the tech folder sticky thread, that's the thread that covers it all.

Click on the tech folder thread and scroll down to Suspension, Steering, Axles, Hubs, Driveline, etc and you'll have the links to all the suspension threads you could want, covering all the options other users have chosen.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 PM
New User

Wyomingowen is starting off with a positive reputation.
what mods have you made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
I beg to differ. If you go to the tech folder sticky thread, that's the thread that covers it all.

Click on the tech folder thread and scroll down to Suspension, Steering, Axles, Hubs, Driveline, etc and you'll have the links to all the suspension threads you could want, covering all the options other users have chosen.

Stewart
Thanks Stewart. Please let me clarify as CT's run down (authored by one of his customers, as I don't want to be seen as speaking for Cary either) I can only say Cary gives prompt response to inquiries and pricing seems very fair.

So Stewart what suspension mods have you made? Thanks again
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomingowen View Post
Thanks Stewart. Please let me clarify as CT's run down (authored by one of his customers, as I don't want to be seen as speaking for Cary either)
Rich (White Buffalo) is the man who wrote up that thread. It's in the tech folder too, in the "compilation" link.

There was an undercurrent of humor in my post above because the threads in the tech folder covers more than just one way to skin the proverbial cat called Excursion Wander and that tech folder thread really covers it all.

Quote:
I can only say Cary gives prompt response to inquiries and pricing seems very fair.
Cary was instrumental in helping all Excursion owners when he decided to go into business and sell a "one-stop kit" that fixed the Excursion Wander. From all accounts, he provides excellent customer service.

Quote:
So Stewart what suspension mods have you made? Thanks again
It's listed in my sig.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 08-07-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Elder User

wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.
I got all 4 used F350 springs and the taller F350 blocks for $200.00. I was able to verify that they are V/S codes.
2003 6.0 Diesel, Atlas 40 FICM tune, child seats and a lot of empty sippy cups. 6" lift made up of V springs, modded S springs, 2" lift shackles and add a leaf in front, F350 blocks in the rear, 35" tires, 2" spacers, RS9000 shocks, adjustable track bar, Auto Enginuity.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Freshman User

Curjo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Both the guys want $300 for the springs and blocks. He's pulling them off though. Does this seem alright?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Junior User

holeshotwalt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

The price seems OK, but the problem is you really have no idea what you're getting... I would not buy something that you may have to buy again- after you've gone to the hassle of installing them to find out they're not what you want!
The V's and B's were spec'd because they lift but still ride well.
Buy well and buy once!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Junior User

holeshotwalt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

The other thing is, mileage of those springs. If they're ancient, or have hard miles (heavy loads, towing, plowing); they're not what they once were in regards to rating.
IMHO,There are a lot of these trucks out there and most folks who want to sell will go to the trouble of giving you the code off the door so you know what you're buying. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Elder User

wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.
Curjo,

If you're going to buy mystery springs, I'd first review all the possible springs codes for the donor truck. For example, the front could be V or X. X was part of a snow plow package. I don't think X code raises the front any more than a V but presumably it will ride a bit harder. There are more possibilities for the rear.

You can always buy springs, install them, see how your X sits and rides, or you can follow what some has done to get a predictable outcome.

I'm a good example. I used "modded" S rear springs (very similar to Bs) and then added the F350 blocks. I knew the front would be too low with just the V because of the F350 blocks, so I added 2" lift shackles. That wasn't enough so I added Skyjacker add-a-leafs to the front. The result was a perfectly level X. I didn't want the factory "lean" and I knew I wanted 35" tires on stock rims.

After all that, I had to get hub centric wheel spacers because the front tires were robbing on the leaf springs near steering lock in either direction. I like the look with the spacers too.

So its all up to you and I don't blame you for looking for the least expensive option.
2003 6.0 Diesel, Atlas 40 FICM tune, child seats and a lot of empty sippy cups. 6" lift made up of V springs, modded S springs, 2" lift shackles and add a leaf in front, F350 blocks in the rear, 35" tires, 2" spacers, RS9000 shocks, adjustable track bar, Auto Enginuity.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Senior User

RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.
Just to clarify, the S code is a B spring. I have no idea why Ford called it different but S and B share the same part number.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Elder User

Yep. I didn't want to confuse things more. If the OP is able to send you a VIN number and accept your gracious offer for help, we might get somewhere.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior User

RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxin View Post
Yep. I didn't want to confuse things more. If the OP is able to send you a VIN number and accept your gracious offer for help, we might get somewhere.
Hope so, I can also figure from part numbers if he gets that far (or anyone else).
Old 08-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Freshman User

I've asked the sellers for the information again and hopefully they get back to me with it or I may just have to keep looking. I'm going to have to call some junkyards around and see if anyone has them.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Elder User

It's very rare to find a super duty at a junk yard. Where I live, in colorado, dismantlerers get the super duties and part them out and charge $500 for a set of leaf springs. I have seen 1 super duty in a junk yard. It was 2-wheel drive and picked apart the day it arrived. It took me 2 years to find the set I got from a semi truck dealership that was parting out an F350. Honestly, good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Freshman User

Ok so I can't post a pic from my phone but the front spring numbers are: F81Z-5B311-AA.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curjo View Post
Ok so I can't post a pic from my phone but the front spring numbers are: F81Z-5B311-AA.
Google says that's a shackle not a spring.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 PM