1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F4 V8 to Mercedes diesel build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
38 coupe, My wife and I just got back home late Saturday night from a trip to Colorado to see our oldest son and daughter in law. Being gone almost 3 weeks I have a lot of catching up to do. I hope to get back on it this week end. Next, I need to make the flanges for the cold air intake tube to bolt it to the inner fender, then I will tack it all together on the truck. I can then remove it so it can be welded.
Thank you for the interest, Mark

Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master

This is a photo of the shut off valve that I made for the Mercedes engine. The Mercedes engine shuts off by vacuum. The valve fastened on the side is from the ignition switch in the donor car. The switch on the end is to complete the circuit for the starter button. This unit mounts in the hole in the dash for the choke cable. Turning on the key switch energizes the glow plugs for the diesel. Pulling out this **** closes the vacuum to the injector pump so the engine will run and completes the circuit for the starter button so the engine can be started. To shut off the engine, turn off the key switch and push in this ****.
Thanks, Mark

Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 PM
BradsF1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
Brad, The engine I'm using is a 3.0 liter 5 cylinder turbo diesel. If I remember correctly it has 125HP and about 225ft lbs of torque. It is real similar to the '53 mercury v8 for power but at a higher rpm. I hope it will run good in the truck, it ran real strong in the car I took it out of. The Mercedes car weighs about as much as the truck.
Thanks for the welcome, Mark
I have been looking at Mercedes diesels for my project. I was looking for a 4bt turbo Cummings but I have come to the conclusion they are out of my price range. For anyone interested here is a pretty good breakdown of Mercedes Diesels from another forum. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?17696-A-little-Mercedes-diesel-engine-info-I-found

Brad

Old 11-16-2014, 10:17 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Have you had a chance to work on your truck? If I ever make it through your area I'd love to get a ride in it.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:29 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Nice to see the great work you are doing. My wife's daily driver/commuter is an '84 mercedes 5 cyl NA diesel station wagon. Bought it from some summerfolk who left it in tall grass for 5 years. I gave them a grand because I wanted it for some kind of conversion, but now I can't pry it away from her. Been bulletproof. As far as power, it gets it in the top end so she's learned to take a run at the long hills. Your turbo and aux trans will be just the ticket. I put a cummins 6at in my '59 f350, mated to a gm sm 465 4 speed. This is also small displacement 220 cu in., 120 hp. I wish I had done the aux trans like you. I will be watching closely to see how you do it, as I'd love to do a retro-fit. Mine just plain doesn't have enough gears as it is. My fab work pales by comparison, but you are a real machinist so I get that. I am really looking forward to another oil burner on the site. What a shame the fuel has gotten so expensive, huh? Ok, off to bed zzzzzzzzzz

Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that T98 out of a COE? If so how are you planning to change the shifter angle? Also, are you mounting that Brownie direct to the transmission or putting a short drive shaft between them?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master

38 coupe, I've worked on the cold air intake some this last week. I finally got it tacked together the way I want it. I will pull it off and take it to a friend of mine to get it welded. I'm not a very good stainless welder. The tubing is 3" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust tube I bought from Summit.
I'm shooting for having the truck on the road this summer. My youngest son is coming home from Afghanistan the middle of next month, so I will be helping him on his '69 Bronco also. If you make a trip up this way I would be happy to let you take it for a spin. Thanks for you interest.
Mark

Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master

Here is a photo of an original accessory NOS windshield washer nozzle I added. I will use a washer bag and pump from a mid '60s Ford. I'm installing Speedway electric wipers, but I'm using a two-speed wiper switch from a late '70s Ford truck that has a wash position on it.
Thanks, Mark

Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Gb, Thanks for the kind words. IIRC this engine is 125hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. About identical to the '53 Merc flathead but, hp and torque are rated at about 1000 Rpm higher than the flathead. I have 5.83 gears and I'm using 225R70 19.5 tires to help get the Rpms up where they need to be.
I think that there is a couple of photos of my brownie transmission mount earlier in this thread, if not I can post some for you. I am hoping that with the overdrive I can get some decent fuel mileage. The F4 without the bed actually weighs less than the car that the engine came out of.
Thanks again, Mark

Old 11-17-2014, 02:54 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Joe, Thanks for the reply. That is actually the T9 out of my '47 COE that I sold. I'm just using it to mock up my engine mounts. I have a T98 rebuilt to go in when I install everything permanently. I have the Brownie mounted behind the 4-speed where the carrier bearing was. I will have a short driveshaft between it and the 4-speed.
Thanks again, Mark

Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Joe, Thanks for the reply. That is actually the T9 out of my '47 COE that I sold. I'm just using it to mock up my engine mounts. I have a T98 rebuilt to go in when I install everything permanently. I have the Brownie mounted behind the 4-speed where the carrier bearing was. I will have a short driveshaft between it and the 4-speed.
Thanks again, Mark
I would be very interested in seeing that set up. I have a spicer 5831 that I have been looking at mounting in a similar position in my F5. I still have the T9 but I have a T98 out of a COE and considering a swap if I can modify the shifter without too much complication.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I still have the T9 but I have a T98 out of a COE and considering a swap if I can modify the shifter without too much complication.
Find a shifter from a regular truck and drop it in. Or heat yours up with a torch and bend it any way you want it.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:35 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master

Joe, The shift handle in the T9 COE transmission looks like it you could cut a new notch for the alignment pin in the ball and turn it 180 and stick it back in the transmission. You may be able to do the same with the T98 stick.
The Brownie I'm using is a 5531, which I think is a earlier version of your 5831. For the front mount, I made a foot to slip over the front bearing retainer with a base on it with the same bolt pattern as the foot on the rear or the 4-speed. I modified a rear transmission crossmember so I could bolt it in the frame. The rear of the Brownie has a piece of steel angle bolted to the mount holes on the transmission. I bolted a short piece of steel angle to the inside of the frame on each side, and used flathead front motor mounts on those to set the rear of the transmission on. I don't know if your 5831 front mount is on the bearing retainer like the 5531. I modified the yokes on both ends to take the 4-bolt flange that is used on the back of the 4-speed. You can see that on the photo of the front. Also if you look just to the left of the yoke on the front photo you can see the rear mount bolted to the frame with the angle setting on it.
Mark

Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
GB, How does the Cummins do in your F350 for power? Looks like the HP and torque of my Mercedes and your Cummins is real similar. I would think the '59 would be a little heavier than my F4, maybe not. I have an Eaton two-speed axle from my '47 COE that I can put in the truck if I find I need to split the gears. I will try it without first.
I enjoyed your build thread on your diesel swap. You did a very nice job on that . I've always liked diesels also. My other Ford is an E250 Club Wagon with a Banks turbocharged 6.9 diesel and a C6 automatic.
Glad you are feeling better! Don't overdo it.
Thanks, Mark

Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Joe, The shift handle in the T9 COE transmission looks like it you could cut a new notch for the alignment pin in the ball and turn it 180 and stick it back in the transmission. You may be able to do the same with the T98 stick.
Yea, I thought about that, or possibly drilling a hole in the opposite side of the shifter housing for the pin and turning the shifter around.
The Brownie I'm using is a 5531, which I think is a earlier version of your 5831. For the front mount, I made a foot to slip over the front bearing retainer with a base on it with the same bolt pattern as the foot on the rear or the 4-speed. I modified a rear transmission crossmember so I could bolt it in the frame. The rear of the Brownie has a piece of steel angle bolted to the mount holes on the transmission. I bolted a short piece of steel angle to the inside of the frame on each side, and used flathead front motor mounts on those to set the rear of the transmission on. I don't know if your 5831 front mount is on the bearing retainer like the 5531. I modified the yokes on both ends to take the 4-bolt flange that is used on the back of the 4-speed. You can see that on the photo of the front. Also if you look just to the left of the yoke on the front photo you can see the rear mount bolted to the frame with the angle setting on it.
Mark
The one you are using appears to be bigger than the one I have. I have all the mounting hardware for mine as pictured below except for the cross-member.

I was considering removing the cross-member that hold the carrier bearing and fab one with steel channel in it's place in a box fashion for both front and rear mounts.

Quick Reply: 1949 F4 V8 to Mercedes diesel build thread