Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Senior User

tjdad62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heater motor rotation

All,

I got a heater motor out of a 77 Datsun pickup, but I noticed it spins counter clockwise. My original 6v motor spins clockwise. Is this going to be an issue? If it is, would I be able to use my 6v motor even though I have moved to 12v?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rotation will matter, fins on the blower motor are usually angled to push or pull air depending on where it is mounted, so yours will be turning the squirrel cage in the wrong direction.
I use the 6V blower motor in my 47 caddy on 12v, I run it through a common resistor pack to slow it down. I dont run it on direct 12v which would be high speed in a modern car, I only use the two slower speeds. I only use it when I need to but so far no issues with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Senior User

Indybeer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Indybeer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You should be able to reverse the wiring on the Datsun motor so it runs correctly. This type of motor usually doesn't care which way it turns. I had to do this on the new blower motor I got from the parts store.

54 F100
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Senior User

Skalywag is starting off with a positive reputation.
the heater in my 50f1 seems to be running backward also. it's 12v neg ground. Someone suggested I reverse the wiring, however if the housing of the heater is the ground there is no way to do it. what you all think?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Heater motors can be several types, depending if they are wound for one or two speeds, and some Ford heater motors are wound to be reversible to provide defrost. Just try hooking the wires up backwards, with a fused power supply. Most of them are NOT grounded thru the motor frame, in my experience.

If you do an Advanced Search on this forum for "heater fan" you'll find a bunch of old threads with modern 12v replacements listed for different types of heaters. Even a Google search on "heater fan replacement" should bring up hundreds of sources. Most are less than $30. Throttling down a 6v motor requires a pretty hefty resistor, but it can be done.

For example:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...reducer-1.html
Single Shaft Blower Motor - School Bus Parts - A Parts Warehouse
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Senior User

Skalywag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Albuqf1, I'm going to check this thing out and see if I can get this thing headed in the right direction, just a pun.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Heater motors can be several types, depending if they are wound for one or two speeds, and some Ford heater motors are wound to be reversible to provide defrost. Just try hooking the wires up backwards, with a fused power supply. Most of them are NOT grounded thru the motor frame, in my experience.

If you do an Advanced Search on this forum for "heater fan" you'll find a bunch of old threads with modern 12v replacements listed for different types of heaters. Even a Google search on "heater fan replacement" should bring up hundreds of sources. Most are less than $30. Throttling down a 6v motor requires a pretty hefty resistor, but it can be done.

For example:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...reducer-1.html
Single Shaft Blower Motor - School Bus Parts - A Parts Warehouse

The way I am looking at the rotation concept is that even though the cage is spinning the other direction, it is still moving air and should find its way out of the housing. I could see the merits of the directional spin if it was maybe mounted 90 degrees perpendicular to the heater core. If that were the case, it would push the air or pull the air through the heater core. But the way mine is mounted, the cage is parallel to the core, so either way it spins it is going to blow air out the top for defrost or out the sides for floor heat. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I should just mount the fan and see how it functions as an experiment. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdad62 View Post
The way I am looking at the rotation concept is that even though the cage is spinning the other direction, it is still moving air and should find its way out of the housing. I could see the merits of the directional spin if it was maybe mounted 90 degrees perpendicular to the heater core. If that were the case, it would push the air or pull the air through the heater core. But the way mine is mounted, the cage is parallel to the core, so either way it spins it is going to blow air out the top for defrost or out the sides for floor heat. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I should just mount the fan and see how it functions as an experiment. Just my thoughts.
There are two types of fans in these trucks.

First, there is the simple box type heater, like my '53, that uses a propeller type fan. If it turns the wrong direction you'll get the same volume of air but it will blow out the top of the box. You will get heat, but it will cook whatever is in the glove box, and it will not blow through the defroster vents at all.

Second, the other heaters use the centrifugal type fan (squirrel cage). If it turns backwards it will still blow air through the right direction, but depending on the angle of the vanes it will seriously decrease the efficiency while slightly increasing the drag on the motor. It also produces more noise. (We had an exhaust vent on our dining hall turning the wrong direction. You could hear it a mile away. We thought it was loud because it was turning too fast, but it was just turning the wrong direction. When we figured it out the motor was extremely hot. We changed it, but the motor burned out a month later.)

In either case, the motor really needs to turn the right direction.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Senior User

Indybeer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Indybeer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdad62 View Post
Your Datsun motor should have 2 wires coming out of it. Depending on which you hook up to the power source will determine which way the motor spins. Hook it up to a 12V source like a battery charger with squirrel cage installed to see which way yours needs to be hooked up.

54 F100
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indybeer View Post
Your Datsun motor should have 2 wires coming out of it. Depending on which you hook up to the power source will determine which way the motor spins. Hook it up to a 12V source like a battery charger with squirrel cage installed to see which way yours needs to be hooked up.

Yep...did that already. It has one blue (hot) and one black (ground). I used my battery charger to test it out. Positive to blue and negative to black it spins counter clockwise. If I swap the leads the motor doesn't turn at all. Looking at the box it came out of on the Datsun, it was mounted perpendicular to the heater core and would therefore pull air through the core and force it out the vents.

I will probably work on this a little later. I will have to cut a hole in the end of the heater box where the old motor mounted in order for this motor to work. It has a flange on it. Otherwise the motor is too long to be a suitable replacement. I should have mentioned that I will be using the Datsun unit as a complete unit with the cage it came with and not try to use my original cage off the old motor.

I bought a NAPA 655-1020 to see how it would work and with my heater box, I would still have to cut the mounting plate out and fab up some sort of flange because the motor was 1.25 inches too long for my box. i would also have to ream out the hole in the cage to accommodate the larger shaft on the NAPA unit. I think the Datsun unit will present fewer issues as far as mounting and fabbing collars/flanges.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks