Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 04:16 PM
tractorman

tractormanbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tractormanbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Suggestions on Dolphin gages in 52 F-1

I am about at my wits end trying to make all the stock gages work correctly in my 52 F-1.
If I cannot trust the temp, oil & gas gages to give me the correct readings I just don't think I can live with it!!!

I really would like to keep it stock looking but don't think it is possible for me with 12 volts on a 302.

I have the electronic voltage reducer on the gages but still not getting anywhere close.

Anyone using these?

Any suggestions?
TractormanBill
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Elder User

wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have them in my '51 and they seem to work perfect. Dolphin's instructions/owners manual is pretty much non-existent though. You will have to alter the sending unit if you're using the tank behind the seat since the bolt pattern and diameter mounting plate on the sending unit doesn't fit.
My last '51 used an under dash oil pressure gauge and an under dash temperature gauge which also worked perfect. Both trucks were converted to 12 volt systems with "modern" engines.
Hope this helps.

Wally
Attached Images

"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck"
Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Bill, the stock gauges will work fine, look for NOS or good used. If they didn't work on 6v they won't work on 12v.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 PM
tractorman

tractormanbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tractormanbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
gages

What is NOS?

Anybody used the NVU gages?
TractormanBill
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
NOS = New Old Stock, Ford factory replacements still on the shelf. Since the '51 - '52 gauges were used into the '60's on bread trucks, there are a surprising number of NOS units still around.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallster View Post
I have them in my '51 and they seem to work perfect. Dolphin's instructions/owners manual is pretty much non-existent though. You will have to alter the sending unit if you're using the tank behind the seat since the bolt pattern and diameter mounting plate on the sending unit doesn't fit.
My last '51 used an under dash oil pressure gauge and an under dash temperature gauge which also worked perfect. Both trucks were converted to 12 volt systems with "modern" engines.
Hope this helps.

Wally

You can get an adapter plate to match up the new Dolphin sending unit. Speedway Motors has the part: 1935-1956 Ford Fuel Sender Adapter - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Dan
Old 08-05-2014, 02:09 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
By the way....I also put in the Dolphin gauges. I haven't had any problems either.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dan
Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractormanbill View Post
What is NOS?

Anybody used the NVU gages?
TractormanBill
Bill, I received a set of NVU gauges the other day. Very happy with their quality and appearance. Haven't installed them yet so can't comment on operation. They did come with all senders except the fuel as I ordered for Ford. If you get a Chevy set the fuel sender is included.
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.
i put the Dolphin's in my 48. The gas guage is a little lazy but so far they are working OK.
Click the image to open in full size.

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM