1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

An update on my oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
It must be Glenn. As I said I put the old one back on and all is good.

I hope you don't start having starter woes like me and have to dig yours out either!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds to me like wires touching somewhere they shouldn't be. My truck did that to me after changing the battery cables because the driver side positive cable was grounding out IIRC. Also had that happen if the small wire on the starter is grounding out.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
New starter and its good to go. Must have been something wrong inside the other one, I don't know. It turns over better than the mean green, by a decent amount. And weighs about half. I remember the mean green turning over that good at first and I didn't realize it had slowed down too. It's only a couple years old, and if its lucky has 8000 miles on it.

One good thing I can change the starter in about 3 minutes now.

Any more thoughts on the turbo? Or the oil?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I haven't heard from Joey yet. I texted with Mike a little bit though. The 140 tune I run in like he said is an oil hungry tune for sure. I've ran in the other tunes before and just don't like the power levels as well towing. I'm gonna play around with the tunes a little bit labor day weekend as I'll be making the same trip. Like i said before though, I don't want to run in a lower hp tune.

I did order one of those billet resevoir additions from riffraff today to see if that helps any too.

If the res doesn't do it, I'm gonna look at getting duals this winter. I'll probably see if anyone here wants to trade their stock 15 and a some cash for my T500, send in the stock 15 as a core, and then get a new dual pump setup from Joey. I've got a nice big construction job coming up the next couple months so I will hopefully be able to swing it. I do have other plans though too, so we'll have to see for sure.

I know I'm getting REAL TIRED of the 1211 on every trip I make to that track.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:42 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be way off track on this, but i courious. Do you think the injectors are too small for that setup? I know mine ran fine with stock sticks but never put it under a load really. After i typed that i think i may of asked you that befor. I know you like the stage ones, but if you had some hybrids in there maybe they wouldnt have to work so hard? It probably has nothing to do with your problem but just throwing it out there.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I don't think so Gabe. If my icp pressures are dropping the pump's not keeping up imo. Towing my loads I know I would fight temps more with bigger injectors and I don't want that. Then you need a bigger turbo or a wastegate. Then you're getting into the limit of the stock bottom end, especially in my case as I work the crap out of it. You know where this is going. I have enough power now and love to be able to use almost all of it without detuning it.

I did a little reading online and I think what I experienced technically would be called turbo stalls. From what I've read though like Travis said I should have heard it. Like I said I don't have the best hearing. My head was turning between the egt, boost, trans, scan gauge, oil temp, etc.gauges all at the same time watching numbers. It just that the boost dropped from 38 to 30 twice for no reason. From what I can tell that is a stall and I didn't hear it.

Now I need to know how to fix it if that is what it is. From what I've read if it happens very much it will kill my turbo, and I don't want that.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Ok i think im with you now. Basicly, the turbo stalled cause of loss of fuel, and fuel was lost due to loss of icp. Do those ones really need that much oil to stay at the power level you want. The only reason i suggested hybrids was that they would put out the fuel but not use as much oil. Correct me if im wrong on that.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks Mike. Gotta try and figure out how to get rid of that on this turbo. Travis told me to check the play and look at the next size up turbine housing.

Gabe, a guy wouldn't think I'd need more oil but I've been fighting this 1211 for 2 years now. Running in the 140 tune and working it like I do I guess it does. The turbo stall is unrelated to the icp drop.

I think you're right on the hybrids using less oil. Going to hybrids like I said before will make my combination completely change. Of course if I can't get rid of this turbo stall, I may have to go bigger on that, so...

Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Didnt jake tell Glenn that there was an updated wheel that can be put in there? Do you remember what it helped?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
No I don't Gabe. Maybe Glenn will pop in and say.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Ok i think im with you now. Basicly, the turbo stalled cause of loss of fuel, and fuel was lost due to loss of icp. Do those ones really need that much oil to stay at the power level you want. The only reason i suggested hybrids was that they would put out the fuel but not use as much oil. Correct me if im wrong on that.
Hybrids use more oil than stageIs but less than 180 stageIIs

Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Thats what i was wondering mike thank you. I been trying to compare to glenns set up a little bit.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Just saw this Darin. That sucks your still having problems. I would find it hard to believe that the T500 isn't keeping up with stage 1s since several guys use it with stage 2s and tow heavy, especially Glenn. Maybe there is an issue with the T500 and Joey could look at it?

Another thing is maybe you have a ICP or IPR issue? Maybe the IPR is sticking and not giving enough oil. I think you said you have tried a new IPR before, but maybe its not working too great either.

On your boost drop, that is the same thing mine did when the turbine wheel broke into pieces. Was it high rpm when it happened? That may not be your issue but I didn't have a sound change when it dropped either, the turbo sounded different overall but not when the boost dropped. I don't know when it happened or how long I drove it that way either. I think it is fairly rare but it has happened to several guys. I don't know how hard it is to pull the turbine housing off the S366 but it might be worth checking.

Since the boost drop has never happened before and you have towed a bunch already, it makes me think something has changed (broke or is breaking).

Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I think since Glenn tows in a lower hp tune he doesn't have quite as much demand as I do running in the 140 tune, even with bigger injectors. Also I am in control of my egt's a little better than him and that results in me pushing it even harder. I know its hard to believe but I think with the combination of those things and the way I work my truck it just won't keep up. Both the icp and ipr are fairly new. Like I said its been 2 years with this code.

Well, that scares me even more Chris. As for the boost drop, it was 3000rpm and 38lbs of boost when it happened. I haven't towed a bunch with this. This trip I work it hard on only gets made 2-3 times a year or so. The other track trip is a lot easier on the truck, shorter,hardly any hills, etc. Next year I do want to make a trip to the division finals, which is in either Denver or Topeka usually, so either would be a big trip and I want this thing ready.

Travis told me to get ahold of Forced Inductions and talk to them about my turbo. I sent them an email last night. I was just gonna call them, but this way I took my time writing my email and getting everything down and not forgetting something. We'll see what they say.

Quick Reply: An update on my oil problem