2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found my problem- can this be fixed?

Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 PM
gccch
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I found my problem- can this be fixed?

Here is what I found under the passenger side valve cover. I do not know what all these pieces are called, but two cam lobes are scored. One spring floating around, etc.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 PM
wbrook_ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sir, (or ma'am) have dropped a valve, or 2, or 3.

This is a hurt engine, though not dead. Repairs will be time time consuming and possibly costly.

This requires the whole top end of the motor to be disassembled, head off, and if the engine was running when it dropped, repair/replacement of damaged parts (cylinder head, valves, camshaft, piston, cylinder walls, block if ventilated)

You might spend thousands on repairs of this engine, or you could spend it on a used engine.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow. I hate to say I told you so and I don't normally but in your other thread where you said the noise got louder then suddenly stopped I told you the rocker got thrown off. You may be able to replace the cylinder head and one piston but the cylinder wall will have to be closely inspected for cracks or scoring.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 PM
gccch
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
Wow. I hate to say I told you so and I don't normally but in your other thread where you said the noise got louder then suddenly stopped I told you the rocker got thrown off. You may be able to replace the cylinder head and one piston but the cylinder wall will have to be closely inspected for cracks or scoring.
Yes, you were right. I believe they happened separately. The first one may have caused the second one to fail, but the engine was running normally after the noise. I'm thinking positively and that had I repaired the initial one the second could have then happened anyway.

So is this a common problem with these lifters? It seems like limited value investing in this motor.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM
gccch
Mountain Pass
The truck is in really sold shape overall. I just rebuilt the rear end within the past year. Interior is like new and rust is limited.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think anyone concerned about your problem would advise you to put in a used engine. This is the quickest and least-expensive solution. They are priced according to condition/miles. Get the best one you can.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
The bearing in the roller rocker fails and causes the roller to drag on the cam lobe. When the rocker got thrown off it prob got wedged between the valve cover and head and then later it fell against the other cam lobe and threw that rocker off. Getting a used engine is a crapshoot you never know if it has problems or is sludged. Your best bet would be getting a reman (Ford remans are very good and have all of the updated VCT parts installed plus have a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty good at any dealer) or repairing your engine. If the cylinder is not damaged you can just replace the head and piston. If you do repair I would install new Ford phasers and VCT solenoids in my signature.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Tigauto
Junior User
You need to remove the head to see if any damage to piston or rod. A good used engine will cost you 3000.00 or more. I would pull head and see what a good machine shop could do. Remove the cam caps on both heads if scored heads are done. In Canada heads are 2,000 each plus timing chain kit, phasers. I would look into a 4.6 1/3 the price and all kinds around. I just picked one up for 1000,00 complete with ECM no cam phasers. Then get a tuner flash which will bring you close to a 5.4

Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
What did you end up doing to this engine?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM
gccch
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
What did you end up doing to this engine?
Well, nothing more yet. I had to fins some transportation so on a business trip last week I bought a Marauder. Now that the grass is cut and the kids car is running again I can begin removing the head. I plan to investigate the damage at least.

Now, for a 4.6 replacement, there may be one available nearby with just 46k on it. Supposed to be a 2005 but I do not yet know which vehicle it came out of.

What do I need to look for in a used 4.6 as far as fitment into my 04 F150 which came with a 5.4? Will the trans connect right up? Noted above I need the ECM. What else do I need to be mindful of?

Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
I would see whats wrong with your engine before I put a 4.6 in it. You will need a lot of parts to make the swap(intake, exhaust, air filter, the fuel lines are prob different, PCM, wiring harness, etc.) You can get reman heads with a warranty from Ebay. Just as long as the cylinder is not scored then you can replace the piston and rod. If the rod bearing is good then the rest of them should be good so the bottom end should be ok. Add some new phasers, tensioners, and the updated VCT solenoids then you should be good to go for prob about the same $$ as a 4.6 swap. cylinder heads

Old 08-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Originally Posted by gccch
Well, nothing more yet. I had to fins some transportation so on a business trip last week I bought a Marauder. Now that the grass is cut and the kids car is running again I can begin removing the head. I plan to investigate the damage at least.

Now, for a 4.6 replacement, there may be one available nearby with just 46k on it. Supposed to be a 2005 but I do not yet know which vehicle it came out of.

What do I need to look for in a used 4.6 as far as fitment into my 04 F150 which came with a 5.4? Will the trans connect right up? Noted above I need the ECM. What else do I need to be mindful of?
The 4.6 for your truck should fit right in with the ECM out of the same truck. I believe from 2006 and older are just a bolt up, the coils will need to be changed.
Just make sure starter is in the same side as your 5.4. Mine is a 2007 and in that year I believe there was a change up. I need to change trans with engine and trans harness. If I am wrong would like some in put I have my engine out but the starter was on the wrong side. A friend of mine that works for ford said the bell housing for the trans could be changed. I would love to stay with the 5.4 but the cost for used low miles is nuts.

I contacted ford for crate engine my cost 6000.00 with no phasers, chain kit or VCT. So add 1,000.00 to that, by the time I'm finished I'll be 8,000.00. 2007 just isn't worth that kind of investment. A complete rebuild will be around 4,600.00

Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Tigauto
Junior User
Good luck finding cylinder heads! That's the problem with the 5.4 no bearings for cams. The intake, harness will come with the engine and ask for the breather when you find the engine.
The ECM will need to be replaced cost me 75.00 bucks. Coils will need also need replaced. As for the exhaust I was told should bolt up to the 5.4 but I would check.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
The exhaust is different because a 5.4 is wider. The starter is on the passenger side for all modular engines 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8. The transmission bellhousing is part of the case and cannot be changed but the bellhousing pattern is the same for all modular engines so that is not an issue. The wiring harness is different between a 4.6 and 5.4 because the 5.4 has IMRC, VCT, 2 cam sensors, and 2 knock sensors and prob some other differences I dont remember. The air filter plumbing is completely different. I posted a link to a quick ebay search with dozens of cylinder heads, some of them are used and some of them are reman with a warranty. Its also possible the original head can be repaired if the combustion chamber is not beat up too bad. You are giving up 70hp and 70ft-lbs with a 4.6.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 PM
gccch
Mountain Pass
I will be pursuing both solutions. I found a 4.6 for sale locally for $550 with no ECM. But I have to trust the seller that it has the mileage he claims. It's from a 2005 F150 so it should be a close match, right?

Also, I am working slowly on getting the intake removed so can get the troubled head off. Will also need to remove the AC condenser. I don't think I can get it back together with that thing in the way. It was almost impossible getting it removed.

I am hopeful it can be repaired. It was shut down quickly and only started 3-4 times to maneuver it around for towing and evaluation at the dealer. I'll post some pics when I get there. We're getting a lot of rain now so it may be a few days.

Thanks,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I found my problem- can this be fixed?