1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Fordycouv
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New

This is my first post as the new owner of a 1951 F1 with a '71 Torino 351 engine, transmission and 9" rear end. The rear is lowered with removed leaves, and front is (will be) lowered with a dropped axle. I aim to keep as much of the original steering and suspension as practical so I am rebuilding the steering box, king pins etc. A recent survey of the frame indicated I will need to add some frame boxing, motor mount corrections, and fish plates to address some rigidity, cracking and capacity issues. A power brake booster is planned after the rear motor mount is remodeled to make it removable (welded in now). Since the transmission will be removed, I figured this will be as good a time as any to try rebuilding an automatic transmission which I have thought about for years...I'm 68 so I guess it is never too late to learn and I have lots of time now. I'll discuss further plans in a later post.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you know your challenges from the previous owner (PO). We certainly want to get you back on the road soon. Thanks for checking in. Where in the world are you?

DW

Old 08-01-2014, 02:18 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya most likely have a C4 in it. Prolly one of the easiest auto trannys to overhaul. Get a master kit and follow the instructions. Good luck and we are here to help.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome! Watch out when lowering the front, you can end up with some drag link geometry problems:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ump-steer.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-springs.html

Old 08-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Fordycouv
Cross-Country
ocation

I'm in Vancouver USA. Yup, it's a C4. PO did present it as somewhat better than reality. Not totally unexpected I guess. I personally couldn't let something go with all the issues I have found so far without a heads up. I would not want anyone to think that was my level of expectation or skill.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us and look forward to seeing more info and pics of your truck.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 858 Likes on 457 Posts
Welcome from Eastern Kentucky!

Congrats on the new "baby". I hope you enjoy working on it and driving it a lot.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome, it's always nice to have another F1 amongst us, along with there handler LOL. Looking forward to your progress, we love to watch (pics) and help if needed.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Fordycouv
Cross-Country
Discoveries

Exploration on the new 'baby' has revealed all sort of interesting findings. Probably most nerve wracking so far was the thin zip ties holding things in place at the e-brake pivot assy. After the 9" install, modifications were not made to connect the late model e-brake cables to the O.E. pivot. (Sigh). Improperly clamped fuel lines from an electric pump could have proven insufficient.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Exploration is a good thing. You don't want surprises if you're out on the road. Even if you do have a problem, at least you will be familiar enough with the truck to know what you're looking at.

We would love to see some pictures. Of the truck that is.

Before I had grey hair some friends and I used to come to your corner of the country and do some hiking around the big mountains. Once we spent July 4th at a campground called Deer Park and watched the fireworks at Port Angeles and Victoria. It was interesting to see the fireworks below us.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Fordycouv
Cross-Country
Future plans

After examinations so far, it looks like I'll be be pulling off the box, cab and front clip to better access the repairs I feel are needed. At that point the frame will probably get wire brushed and painted with Por 15 or something of that nature. It looks like I need to start with a proper radiator and proceed rearward. Details to follow......

Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordycouv
Exploration on the new 'baby' has revealed all sort of interesting findings. Probably most nerve wracking so far was the thin zip ties holding things in place at the e-brake pivot assy. After the 9" install, modifications were not made to connect the late model e-brake cables to the O.E. pivot. (Sigh). Improperly clamped fuel lines from an electric pump could have proven insufficient.
Welcome!

I'm pretty sure my panel has the same setup you have but from a Mustang. My 9" is a 2.75.

I had the same problem with the eBrake. Bought a rear cable from MidFifties and that solved the problem. Be sure to get the one with the yoke. Should hook right up to your front cable no problem.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Welcome!

I'm pretty sure my panel has the same setup you have but from a Mustang. My 9" is a 2.75.
Back in the day they would call those "airplane gears".

Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordycouv
This is my first post as the new owner of a 1951 F1...
Welcome to the forum, neighbor! It sounds like you've got quite the project on your hands. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Olweldinrig
Senior User
Welcome!Sounds like a fun truck!A friend had a 71 torino with a cleveland and boy it hauled!!

Quick Reply: New