Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 PM
New User

Fordycouv is starting off with a positive reputation.
New

This is my first post as the new owner of a 1951 F1 with a '71 Torino 351 engine, transmission and 9" rear end. The rear is lowered with removed leaves, and front is (will be) lowered with a dropped axle. I aim to keep as much of the original steering and suspension as practical so I am rebuilding the steering box, king pins etc. A recent survey of the frame indicated I will need to add some frame boxing, motor mount corrections, and fish plates to address some rigidity, cracking and capacity issues. A power brake booster is planned after the rear motor mount is remodeled to make it removable (welded in now). Since the transmission will be removed, I figured this will be as good a time as any to try rebuilding an automatic transmission which I have thought about for years...I'm 68 so I guess it is never too late to learn and I have lots of time now. I'll discuss further plans in a later post.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome! Sounds like you know your challenges from the previous owner (PO). We certainly want to get you back on the road soon. Thanks for checking in. Where in the world are you?

DW

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Ya most likely have a C4 in it. Prolly one of the easiest auto trannys to overhaul. Get a master kit and follow the instructions. Good luck and we are here to help.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Welcome! Watch out when lowering the front, you can end up with some drag link geometry problems:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...ump-steer.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...s-springs.html
Old 08-01-2014, 05:21 PM
New User

ocation

I'm in Vancouver USA. Yup, it's a C4. PO did present it as somewhat better than reality. Not totally unexpected I guess. I personally couldn't let something go with all the issues I have found so far without a heads up. I would not want anyone to think that was my level of expectation or skill.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us and look forward to seeing more info and pics of your truck.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome from Eastern Kentucky!

Congrats on the new "baby". I hope you enjoy working on it and driving it a lot.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
Welcome, welcome, welcome, it's always nice to have another F1 amongst us, along with there handler LOL. Looking forward to your progress, we love to watch (pics) and help if needed.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM
New User

Discoveries

Exploration on the new 'baby' has revealed all sort of interesting findings. Probably most nerve wracking so far was the thin zip ties holding things in place at the e-brake pivot assy. After the 9" install, modifications were not made to connect the late model e-brake cables to the O.E. pivot. (Sigh). Improperly clamped fuel lines from an electric pump could have proven insufficient.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Exploration is a good thing. You don't want surprises if you're out on the road. Even if you do have a problem, at least you will be familiar enough with the truck to know what you're looking at.

We would love to see some pictures. Of the truck that is.

Before I had grey hair some friends and I used to come to your corner of the country and do some hiking around the big mountains. Once we spent July 4th at a campground called Deer Park and watched the fireworks at Port Angeles and Victoria. It was interesting to see the fireworks below us.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 AM
New User

Future plans

After examinations so far, it looks like I'll be be pulling off the box, cab and front clip to better access the repairs I feel are needed. At that point the frame will probably get wire brushed and painted with Por 15 or something of that nature. It looks like I need to start with a proper radiator and proceed rearward. Details to follow......
Old 08-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordycouv View Post
Exploration on the new 'baby' has revealed all sort of interesting findings. Probably most nerve wracking so far was the thin zip ties holding things in place at the e-brake pivot assy. After the 9" install, modifications were not made to connect the late model e-brake cables to the O.E. pivot. (Sigh). Improperly clamped fuel lines from an electric pump could have proven insufficient.
Welcome!

I'm pretty sure my panel has the same setup you have but from a Mustang. My 9" is a 2.75.

Click the image to open in full size.

I had the same problem with the eBrake. Bought a rear cable from MidFifties and that solved the problem. Be sure to get the one with the yoke. Should hook right up to your front cable no problem.
All works in progress
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
Welcome!

I'm pretty sure my panel has the same setup you have but from a Mustang. My 9" is a 2.75.
Back in the day they would call those "airplane gears".

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordycouv View Post
This is my first post as the new owner of a 1951 F1...
Welcome to the forum, neighbor! It sounds like you've got quite the project on your hands. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Dave

Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Olweldinrig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
David LaRose
Welcome!Sounds like a fun truck!A friend had a 71 torino with a cleveland and boy it hauled!!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 AM