1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold removal is much harder then I anticipated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exhaust manifold removal is much harder then I anticipated.

The studs are very corroded. The front most stud broke like it was nothing!

Been periodically heating the studs up and spraying them down with PB blaster. These usually breaks things loose, but not having much luck. What size are the stud nuts anyways? 12mm? 11mm?

This sucks!

Name:  VCmzdhE.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  1.79 MB

I have a little 90 amp MIG welder, so I will be trying the full the gap and weld on nut method, BUT if I cant get the broken studs out, what kind of shop could? Thanks.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
couple of comments

-90 amp MIG wont weld a nut on that shank.

- Ive removed plenty of studs by using an easy out extractor which will drill a hole, then you insert a rever thread bit that has a hex head which can be driven by a medium size impact gun.

-if you can remove the manifold and expose all the shanks, there s an extractor socket set sold by sears that will grab the shank, I also drive them out with a medium sized impact gun. this is actually the easiest method and the last person I showed how to do this felt stupid since the shank came out almost immideately.

-it is good that your spraying a penetrate...keep spraying every few hours.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I used a 90amp mig on mine and that worked for 2 of the 3 studs that I had broke. The third I had to drill completely out and retap.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
I used a 90amp mig on mine and that worked for 2 of the 3 studs that I had broke. The third I had to drill completely out and retap.
Dang northern trucks.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Ditch the PB Blaster, Kano Kroil or Liquid Wrench are better. Or even better yet make a 50/50 mix of AFT and acetone.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:27 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Ditch the PB Blaster, Kano Kroil or Liquid Wrench are better. Or even better yet make a 50/50 mix of AFT and acetone.
I thought it was used brake fluid mixed with ATF.

Thanks for the tips, not really worried about the welder right now, just need to get the manifold off. I just ordered a 12 point deep metric impact set. I need a deep 15mm to take off the downpipe studs anyways, Figured the 12 point will come in handy for hammering on a slightly smaller size on the rusted stud nut.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
couple of comments

-90 amp MIG wont weld a nut on that shank.

- Ive removed plenty of studs by using an easy out extractor which will drill a hole, then you insert a rever thread bit that has a hex head which can be driven by a medium size impact gun.

-if you can remove the manifold and expose all the shanks, there s an extractor socket set sold by sears that will grab the shank, I also drive them out with a medium sized impact gun. this is actually the easiest method and the last person I showed how to do this felt stupid since the shank came out almost immideately.

-it is good that your spraying a penetrate...keep spraying every few hours.
Extractor from Sears.com

Any of those in particular? Are you saying I should try and cut all of the nuts off? That will be near impossible on the bottom four studs I think.

FANTASTIC video I found.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by AAubinoe
I thought it was used brake fluid mixed with ATF.
I've heard of acetone and brake fluid, but never brake fluid and ATF. Used brake fluid will have absorbed water. You could throw some diesel in for giggles. Just be very very careful with the torch after any of these.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
I have the one on the extreme left and the one on the extreme right.

If the shank is expose, the one on the left with an impact gun works create. In use a medium sized Dewalt impact gun.

If no shank is exposed, then you have to go the drill holl+reverse thread insert set on the right.

Harbor freight sells these as well for half the price and Autozone sells the drill out extractors individually so you dont need to buy a a whole set

Old 08-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
Dang northern trucks.
The funny thing is my truck has never seen salt, The under side looks like the day it rolled off the assembly line..

Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Look on the bright side, you have a 5.4l which means less studs.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The ones on mine still look brand new, but after hearing about all the problems getting them out once they go bad makes me want to go ahead and change them now.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by dkf
Look on the bright side, you have a 5.4l which means less studs.
HAHA yeah would still rather have the V10!

Got the passenger side manifold completely off! I ground down the top for nuts and the stud let go with vise grips. On the bottom I attacked it right away with a 1/2" deep socket (I thought it was metric, but that fits and 13mm is too loose).

Name:  uqszbMr.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  1.61 MB

Only issue I had was the upper front most stud, the nut came off and I cant get the stud out. Going to soak the stud in PB and try again tomorrow. I ended up just cutting all 4 down pipe studs as thats all getting trashed anyways.

Name:  bWDaAA1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  1.79 MB

As you can see, the oil dipstick tube broke off. But honestly I think it was a good thing because it was so rusty inside. Cant seem to pull the tube out of the oil pan, Is there a trick to this?? Soaked it down with PB aswell before I closed the shop.

EDIT: After reading this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-on-5-4-a.html
I am very paranoid about breaking it off at the block. Really dont want to deal with that. Should I pull off the oil filter adapter thing to gain better access to where the tube enters the block? Seems to just disappear behind that...

Name:  wFDEbXx.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  493.3 KB

And any idea what this rubber plug is for?

Name:  bow1bXj.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  2.00 MB

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
xd2200
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really try to avoid snapping a stud off flush with the head and then having to drill and extract. Cutting off the nuts with a dremel and then removing the manifold leaves workable studs. I usually apply a little heat and candle wax. Then I use a small pipe wrench to loosen. Pipe wrench puts torque close to head and stud is less likley to break.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 PM
02 Super Duty Guy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
god I am not looking forward to doing this next week.....

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold removal is much harder then I anticipated.