1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust manifold removal is much harder then I anticipated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 02 Super Duty Guy
yea that stuff looks pretty heavy duty, after years of trips to Vermont and launching boats my truck should be dipped in it lol..but not for 111 bucks a gallon, call me cheap...
Well its much cheaper then the POR15 stuff.

POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating

A gallon would easily do the entire frame. I used maybe 3/4 of a quart doing the entire front axle, suspention, brake shields, and frame to about the trans crossmember.

The drips on the concrete in my shop dried like drips of melted plastic! Just saying you get what you pay for and would be a good investment if you plan to keep your truck for a long time.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I just got some Rustbullet to try out. A quart of the Automotive formula, a quart of the Black Shell and a 16oz bottle of the metal prep stuff. The paint was $50 per quart. Never used it before but I am going to try it out.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM
ghulands
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i took my V10 to an exhaust shop this week to put my doug thorley headers on. It took them 3 days, had to drill out 13 bolts out of the heads. It ended up costing $2500 (including 2 new O2 sensors). I'm glad I didn't sign myself up for that, though it was extremely expensive.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by ghulands
i took my V10 to an exhaust shop this week to put my doug thorley headers on. It took them 3 days, had to drill out 13 bolts out of the heads. It ended up costing $2500 (including 2 new O2 sensors). I'm glad I didn't sign myself up for that, though it was extremely expensive.
WOW! Thats a chunk of change! Did your o2 sensors break, or were they just bad? When I took the Y pipe out of mine the sensors were still stamped Motorcraft, but looked great and im still getting average mileage so I left them. I tried to keep my "while im in there" mentality under control for this job

Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by dkf
I just got some Rustbullet to try out. A quart of the Automotive formula, a quart of the Black Shell and a 16oz bottle of the metal prep stuff. The paint was $50 per quart. Never used it before but I am going to try it out.
cool would love to see how it turns out for you.

This stuff works very good. I sprayed it on the frame after I cleaned it as best I could with a wire brush and air gun. Still wiped it down with brake clean before painting though.

Klean-Strip 1-gal. Phosphoric Prep and Etch-GKPA30220 at The Home Depot

Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM
cold_beer839
Junior User
Bumping this thread to ask how the Gibson headers are holding out? I just ordered a set of Gibson GP126S-1C (ceramic coated) and not sure if I'll tackle the install or not (busy as hell at work and coaching three sons playing baseball). Paid $467 shipped, so I feel like price was good when compared to new exhaust manifolds and hardware from Ford (which would have been in the ballpark of $400).

My truck only has 67k miles and I just noticed one broken stud on passenger side manifold this weekend after hearing what sounded like an exhaust leak under initial throttle from stop. IMO, it's not worth just replacing the studs and reusing the stock exhaust manifolds since they are the reason the studs break anyway. Headers don't hold the heat like manifolds, so they should cool and contract a little closer to the rate of aluminum so hopefully this one will a one time fix and never again have this issue. Plus my truck already has a few mods so whatever performance and mileage the headers offer, however marginal that might be, will be welcomed.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Ive had my Gibson stainless header for over six years and i live in NJ but i do keep up with cleaning etec to prevent rust issues. I reused my original Ford studs with the headers and their all in almost perfect condition

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 PM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Originally Posted by cold_beer839
Bumping this thread to ask how the Gibson headers are holding out? I just ordered a set of Gibson GP126S-1C (ceramic coated) and not sure if I'll tackle the install or not (busy as hell at work and coaching three sons playing baseball). Paid $467 shipped, so I feel like price was good when compared to new exhaust manifolds and hardware from Ford (which would have been in the ballpark of $400).

My truck only has 67k miles and I just noticed one broken stud on passenger side manifold this weekend after hearing what sounded like an exhaust leak under initial throttle from stop. IMO, it's not worth just replacing the studs and reusing the stock exhaust manifolds since they are the reason the studs break anyway. Headers don't hold the heat like manifolds, so they should cool and contract a little closer to the rate of aluminum so hopefully this one will a one time fix and never again have this issue. Plus my truck already has a few mods so whatever performance and mileage the headers offer, however marginal that might be, will be welcomed.

Hey, have not logged in a while. They are holding up very well. Make sure you tighten them periodically. I think the interval was 100 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, and then they stop getting loose. I think they will last longer then the OEM manifolds. I do not think they added much power, but my truck is pretty high miles, and running 33" tires with stock 3.73 gears.

How did your install go? If I had the choice, I would not have let the stock ones get this bad, but my dad didn't know any better.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 AM
cold_beer839
Junior User
Originally Posted by AAubinoe
Hey, have not logged in a while. They are holding up very well. Make sure you tighten them periodically. I think the interval was 100 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, and then they stop getting loose. I think they will last longer then the OEM manifolds. I do not think they added much power, but my truck is pretty high miles, and running 33" tires with stock 3.73 gears.

How did your install go? If I had the choice, I would not have let the stock ones get this bad, but my dad didn't know any better.

I let a local trusted shop do my install the other day. My shop lift is tied up with my '67 Mustang ragtop restoration and with summer coming on and more towing duties for my truck I decided to hire out this job. Cost me $326 and the only two broken studs they encountered were the ones already broken. They advised that they soaked the bolts with penetrating oil for 24 hours before starting.

The results: a very noticeable change in the exhaust sound. More throaty and with a slight pulsing, it sounds great!! The power increase: definite increase, I can feel the difference (maybe it's just more enhanced than what others have noticed due to my truck's preexisting mods).

At around $800 all-in for the header purchase and labor for install, it's a good investment since the stock manifolds can be problematic after a while.