6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Clueless idiot buys 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Clueless idiot buys 6.0

I just bought an '06 F350 dually with 120k miles and don't have a clue what I should be worried about. Never owned a diesel and all the discussions here are Greek to me. I bought thinking that diesels are better for pulling heavy loads and that they last a long time.

It seems to be running fine except for a check engine light due to one bad glow plug. Figured that was not an urgent fix right now in this Texas summer. The dash gauges show all temps and turbo pressure in the normal range.

But, I've been told the 6.0 is a horrible engine, and reading these threads is scary. I did take the EGR valve out and cleaned it up, but couldn't tell that it was real dirty.

Questions:

Are there any must-do mods I need to make? For example, one guy told me I better do an EGR delete and he was surprised the engine had lasted this long.

Since I used all my cash buying this, could anyone suggest how I would prioritize the recommended mods as I get money to do them?

Another guy told me my batteries sounded weak and that would cause serious damage to the truck. I do see that one battery is bigger than the other. Do I need to chuck it for a new one that's as big as the other? Another guy said I should replace both of them with a matched set.

If it is going to require thousands of dollars in upgrades, I'm starting to wonder if I oughta sell this while it's still working good.

Any suggestions for an idiot?

Also, I then bought a big gooseneck and pulled it for the first time this week with about 10000 lbs on it. I definitely hear some typical cracking/creaking coming from the gooseneck when I turn, etc., but I think I'm also getting a pop from the front end when I start off from a standstill or hard brake to a stop (dang diesel is so loud, I can't be sure). I didn't hear anything like that pulling my smaller trailer with about 7000 lbs. Which front end parts would be effected by a heavy load?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

The Tech Folder has a WEALTH of information (but it will take you quite a while to go through it all)!

The main thing is to decide what you want from the truck. If it is mainly reliability, then we can start there.

The first thing to do is to get a gauge system. Quite a few choices (ScanGaugeII, TorqApp, DashBoss, Edge CTS, etc). They all have plusses and minusses. Dash gauges are practically worthless.

Next, find out what has already been done.

Main weaknesses in the 06:
1. EGR cooler (choose between a BulletProofDiesel EGR cooler or a delete)
2. leaks in the high pressure oil system (STC fitting, dummy plugs, standpipes, etc. - cheap parts, a fair amount of labor)
3. fuel pressure (fix - $35)
4. FICM (repair $350)

Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First thing I would do is buy a Scangauge2 so you could check out the trucks health. Then you will know if and what needs fixed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...72197243,d.cGU

Old 08-01-2014, 01:07 PM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also run a product to clean up any stiction built up in the injectors

Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
I just bought an '06 F350 dually with 120k miles and don't have a clue what I should be worried about. Never owned a diesel and all the discussions here are Greek to me. I bought thinking that diesels are better for pulling heavy loads and that they last a long time.

It seems to be running fine except for a check engine light due to one bad glow plug. Figured that was not an urgent fix right now in this Texas summer. The dash gauges show all temps and turbo pressure in the normal range.

But, I've been told the 6.0 is a horrible engine, and reading these threads is scary. I did take the EGR valve out and cleaned it up, but couldn't tell that it was real dirty.

Questions:

Are there any must-do mods I need to make? For example, one guy told me I better do an EGR delete and he was surprised the engine had lasted this long.

Since I used all my cash buying this, could anyone suggest how I would prioritize the recommended mods as I get money to do them?

Another guy told me my batteries sounded weak and that would cause serious damage to the truck. I do see that one battery is bigger than the other. Do I need to chuck it for a new one that's as big as the other? Another guy said I should replace both of them with a matched set.

If it is going to require thousands of dollars in upgrades, I'm starting to wonder if I oughta sell this while it's still working good.

Any suggestions for an idiot?

Also, I then bought a big gooseneck and pulled it for the first time this week with about 10000 lbs on it. I definitely hear some typical cracking/creaking coming from the gooseneck when I turn, etc., but I think I'm also getting a pop from the front end when I start off from a standstill or hard brake to a stop (dang diesel is so loud, I can't be sure). I didn't hear anything like that pulling my smaller trailer with about 7000 lbs. Which front end parts would be effected by a heavy load?
The people that say the 6.0L is a POS are uninformed. You need to get yourself a set of gauges that read live data to keep an eye on things, like the scan gauge II or one of the smartphone apps like dashboss for IOS devices or torque pro for android, they are absolutely necessary to keep an eye on things as well as diagnose problems with these trucks.

That being said the charging/electrical systems in these trucks need to be taken care of as low system voltage will kill the FICM ( Fuel Injector Control Module ). So batteries must always be load tested separately ( completely disconnected from one another ) and always replace batteries in pairs. The FICM voltage and system voltage are 2 of the things you will monitor on a continual basis. FICM main volts lower than 45 tells you that your FICM is in need of attention. The system volts need to remain 13.4-14.0+ as read at the OBDII port after the glow plugs shut off.

And follow your maintenance to a "T" trying to save money here will cost you bigtime down the road and always use OEM oil/fuel/air filters with the OEM oil filter cap. Here is a video that explains the problems with aftermarket filters,

Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Thanks bunches, guys. Great info. I'll try to download the Android app right now. Will probably have to come back and ask y'all what the heck it's telling me, LOL.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Just bought 06 F350 FX4 6.0!!

Use this as a guide for things you need to learn. For every step, use the search function and find threads discussing that topic. By the time you hit the end of reading through threads explaining all these steps you'll be up to speed on pretty much everything. You won't need to actually DO every step, but you need to learn what it's about so that you can make an informed decision about whether or not to do it.

Just don't get discouraged. You see an aggregation of failures on this board, not everyone has it all happen to them.

Here's some links to a cheat sheet on acronyms and abbreviations:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...tion-help.html

Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel
I would also run a product to clean up any stiction built up in the injectors
In addition to proper maintenance, I would do this. Learned that the hard way on my truck...

Since you hate commie cars, you must be from Texas.

Where in Texas are you located?

Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
The 6.0 is a great engine if you monitor live data on occasion.

I use Torque Pro and am very pleased. The app is $5 and the OBDII reader will cost $15 to $20 on eBay. The obdii readers are all about the same. Just buy one from an American seller. I got TP with the intent of upgrading when I need to. The app is so good I don't think I will ever need to upgrade.

Use oem or Racor filters only. Oil every 5, both fuel filters every 10 for most people.

Run a cetane boost with cleaner/lubricate in at least every other tank. Most run synthetic 15w-40 oil.

Biggest weaknesses

1. Egr cooler. If you start blowing white smoke on startup, do some checking to be sure, but you will likely need to delete the egr or install the bullet proof egr cooler.

2. FICM voltage. Make sure it stays above 46 volts. If it doesn't, load test the batteries and replace in pairs, or let Ed repair your ficm (ficmrepair.com). This is not a big deal because they are easy to change.

3. Oil cooler. Monitor to keep deltas (oil temp minus coolant temp) less than 15 to 20 after full warm-up and running 65 mph on flat ground. This is a subjective test that is widely accepted.

The Tranny is one of the best available. Change fluid at regular intervals and out will just keep going.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But, I've been told the 6.0 is a horrible engine, and reading these threads is scary.
It's not, if cared for properly and left relatively stock. That's an IF that a LOT of people failed to do. They paid the price, and of course it was all the fault of the motor. And of course I've run into no shortage of 6.0 haters on the interwebz that finally admit never having owned one. The reputation has taken on a life of it's own.

Questions:

I'm in favor of EGR cooler delete. I lived through a split cooler/near hydrolock condition. No desire to experience that again.

Mismatched batteries should be addressed pronto. Proper maintenance on these trucks is essential. Correct batteries, Motorcraft filters, on-time oil and filter changes, and just paying attention to it in general will pay off.

FWIW I have 207K on my '04. It hasn't seen a shop since the warranty expired. Hasn't been trouble-free, but what it has needed I've been able to do in the driveway. And I'm no mechanic by any stretch. Just a regular suburban schmuck.

Between this site and You Tube (check DieselTechRon's videos - I owe that dude so many beers...) you should be able to do a lot to keep it running.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
This is all great info and I am also a big believer in monitoring the 6.0.

Concerning your front end,

Being a 2006 you have a solid front axle with radius arms and coil springs. Since your noise was only while towing heavy I would suspect the front end got light and that amplified an existing problem.

The problem could be anything from ball joints to the trac bar. You will need to do some investigating. Jack it up and check all the steering and suspension components for play.

Any questions, just ask.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep did the exact same thing you did about 4 yrs ago. Thought hey a Ford diesel what can go wrong those things are bulletproof. lol Well with the help of the guys here on the board it has been pretty solid. It can be a bit intimidating. But doable. Where in TX are you? Just south of Dallas here. Welcome!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
#aid=P9LUHk2EjCQanother Important is the OEM oil cap , Not Aftermarket

Last edited by 04badford; 08-01-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Blank Video
Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
#aid=P9E4FpOcPE4If you click the writing the other link will pop up.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Redrkt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
In addition to proper maintenance, I would do this. Learned that the hard way on my truck...

Since you hate commie cars, you must be from Texas.

Where in Texas are you located?

Where are you in Spring? I lived in Lexington Woods for 11 years (may be back there soon) but currently in Wyo helping out my mom after my dad passed away.

Quick Reply: Clueless idiot buys 6.0