2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Which 2015 F150 engine would you pick?
Naturally aspirated 3.5L V6
2.02%
5.0L V8
45.45%
2.7L EcoBoost V6
14.48%
3.5L EcoBoost V6
38.05%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
This thread has been open 10 months and it is still the same few people making posts and arguing about this since the beginning. Reminds me of two co-workers I knew that went to lunch every day and argued about global warming every day, and this went on for years. Sure, they enjoyed it but everyone else avoided them.

It is difficult to comprehend a coherent argument complaining about the "few people" arguing, when you are one of them.

My sense is that the ecoboost promoters will argue their points ad nauseum and nonsensically, while ridiculing and harassing anyone who disagrees:

Ecoboost--towing...ok, fine; gas mileage...not so much; reliability...that's why I avoided it.

It seems likely that the competition likes the ecoboost the least and may be behind exaggerating the the ecoboost issues. Maybe the condensation, spark plug gap and other things are very small, but those issues swayed me.

The other issue I have with the ecoboost came from several Forums. Nassty is a good example of many people that seems to research everything I say and twist it into accusing my of lying or having "no credibility" because I misspell a word. Nassty is also a great example of someone who posts daily, promoting the ecoboost on a ridiculous number of sites. Someone else said "If you can't stand the heat...(go away). Is that person warned for being unfriendly? No! But when it looks like someone, who chose the 5.0 is confronted for not answering the question to the ecobooster's satisfaction and I say something, I get my "final warning."

Old 05-30-2015, 06:06 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Actually, Ford didn't lie about fuel economy. The EPA rating was based on the lightest duty and lightest F-150 on the road.

My truck for instance has the 7200 lb package, is a 4x4 and is an Scab. It has the 3.31 axles and came from the factory with the 235-75-17 tires on the cheap XLT wheels. Since I bough my truck in 2011 and having put nearly 51K on the truck since, I'm still exceeding the EPA estimates that came on the monroney sticker.

People who are buying heavier trucks with steeper gears and 20" wheels are pretty pissed about their MPG's and maybe they have a right to feel deceived but they weren't.

I wanted a truck that could pull a fairly heavy load, have at least 1500 lbs in payload, (I actually got 1620) and get the gas mileage since it's primarily a pavement queen. I did my research, talked to a couple diesel guys about the twin turbo vs. the 3.31 axles, read this board extensive, asked questions, decided what I needed vs. what I wanted and ended up with a base model XLT.

Sorry for the lengthy post but Ford didn't lie to anyone. The ecoboost is a tow monster and can achieve great MPG's when it's in a lighter truck. Those who feel the need to purchase the top of the line trucks are getting a fantastic vehicle, but, do some research first.
There is a lot of information here. The one that jumps out "People who are buying heavier trucks with steeper gears and 20" wheels are pretty pissed about their MPG's and maybe they have a right to feel deceived but they weren't."

I thought each vehicle came with the MPG numbers on the sticker??

The truth is that very few people drive like the EPA testing is done so that they could write on the sticker "EPA estimates for mileage are calculated so differently than the driving style of the vast majority of drivers, that you should use this for comparison only." I still remember asking the salesman abut real world numbers and him telling me the way they do it changed. He assured me that I would get the mileage on the sticker.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
Nassty is a good example of many people that seems to research everything I say and twist it into accusing my of lying or having "no credibility" because I misspell a word.
That wasn't the real reason I questioned your credibility.

There is a lot of information here. The one that jumps out "People who are buying heavier trucks with steeper gears and 20" wheels are pretty pissed about their MPG's and maybe they have a right to feel deceived but they weren't."
A lighter truck with 20" wheels with 4.10 gears and 34.5" mud terrains that weigh 78lbs. each is a good combo. I've averaged better than the EPA ratings (17 avg.) since my truck has been tuned for the last 5100 miles.

This is my lifetime average. Before the tune my speedometer wasn't calibrated for the larger tires so I was actually getting more MPGs than the readings on the dash were showing for the first 2300 miles.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You said:

…… These sites seem way more interested in jamming Ford's opinion down my throat:……
My response was:

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
As the saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen." So, why do you bother to come here if you think we are jamming Ford's opinion down your throat?
I wasn't telling you to leave. Instead, I was wondering why you come here if you know what is going to happen? Reminds me of the old joke where the guy said "Doctor, it hurts if I do this." And the doctor said "Then don't do that!"

Old 05-30-2015, 06:57 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
You said:

My response was:

I wasn't telling you to leave. Instead, I was wondering why you come here if you know what is going to happen? Reminds me of the old joke where the guy said "Doctor, it hurts if I do this." And the doctor said "Then don't do that!"
I just don't understand why you can be rude and critical as long as you disagree with my opinion on the ecoboost???

Old 05-30-2015, 07:00 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
That wasn't the real reason I questioned your credibility.

A lighter truck with 20" wheels with 4.10 gears and 34.5" mud terrains that weigh 78lbs. each is a good combo. I've averaged better than the EPA ratings (17 avg.) since my truck has been tuned for the last 5100 miles.

This is my lifetime average. Before the tune my speedometer wasn't calibrated for the larger tires so I was actually getting more MPGs than the readings on the dash were showing for the first 2300 miles.

Nassty,

Be honest: How many sites do you post to and how much time do you spend on it?

Thanks for cluttering up the issue.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I just don't understand why you can be rude and critical as long as you disagree with my opinion on the ecoboost???
Rude? Nope, just curious. Curious why you are a glutton for punishment since you know people are tired of your opinions and want facts. And yet you keep pushing your opinions - that don't fit with the facts.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That boy just ain't right. Been touched in the head.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:58 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Nassty,

Be honest: How many sites do you post to and how much time do you spend on it?

Thanks for cluttering up the issue.
I post on 3 F150 forums, You would post on more forums if you weren't permanently banned from some of them.
What do you want? I just proved your opinion wrong with real world data...AKA... facts.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by NASSTY
You would post on more forums if you weren't permanently banned from some of them.
Just to say something positive, I will admit there is one thing he is really good at.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 PM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if that 5.0L coyote engine can be made into a stroker? The milage would most likely drop a bit but the added torque would be great.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
So in my final conclusion as an answer to this seemingly endless thread is to buy a Ram. My question is should I get the diesel or should I get the.............?

Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Yes, there are stroker kits on the market you can buy for Coyote engine.

Originally Posted by Nearly Normal Mike
So in my final conclusion as an answer to this seemingly endless thread is to buy a Ram. My question is should I get the diesel or should I get the.............?
I'd hold out for a Chinese import truck. They know trucks.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
It is difficult to comprehend a coherent argument complaining about the "few people" arguing, when you are one of them.

My sense is that the ecoboost promoters will argue their points ad nauseum and nonsensically, while ridiculing and harassing anyone who disagrees:

Ecoboost--towing...ok, fine; gas mileage...not so much; reliability...that's why I avoided it.

It seems likely that the competition likes the ecoboost the least and may be behind exaggerating the the ecoboost issues. Maybe the condensation, spark plug gap and other things are very small, but those issues swayed me.

The other issue I have with the ecoboost came from several Forums. Nassty is a good example of many people that seems to research everything I say and twist it into accusing my of lying or having "no credibility" because I misspell a word. Nassty is also a great example of someone who posts daily, promoting the ecoboost on a ridiculous number of sites. Someone else said "If you can't stand the heat...(go away). Is that person warned for being unfriendly? No! But when it looks like someone, who chose the 5.0 is confronted for not answering the question to the ecobooster's satisfaction and I say something, I get my "final warning."
You don't know who I've warned besides you and quite frankly sir, you're not going to unless they divulge the info themselves. You were warned publicly because you don't know when to stop poking the hornets nest.

I WILL NOT discuss this further with you or anyone else.

I thought each vehicle came with the MPG numbers on the sticker??

The truth is that very few people drive like the EPA testing is done so that they could write on the sticker "EPA estimates for mileage are calculated so differently than the driving style of the vast majority of drivers, that you should use this for comparison only." I still remember asking the salesman abut real world numbers and him telling me the way they do it changed. He assured me that I would get the mileage on the sticker.

You need to go back and re read your monroney sticker. It's very generic. My truck is a 2011 4x4 with 3.31 axles. The sticker says 15 city in large print but in smaller print under the 15 it states to expect a range of 12-18.

For highway driving it states 21 in bold. Underneath it states to expect a range of 17-25. I'll guarran-damned-tee that every ecoboost gas mileage complaint thread is baseless as they are all meeting the EPA numbers as posted either in bold or the smaller print giving an MPG range.

People need to read their stickers before they buy and educate themselves extensively before plopping $50K plus for a truck then complaining because they aren't getting 30 something MPG's while towing a 15000 lb toy hauler at 80 mph. These posts are ludicrous and this mpg argument is stale, boring and unfounded.

How many guys are mounting larger heavier tires after the purchase? I posted a link to a tire size calculator in the 2015+ forum and the 2009-2014 forum. One comment about that link from both postings.

One size larger tire will affect MPG's. P rated tires are better for economy then all terrain or M&S. I spoon fed some research data and yet there will still be complaints.

Lastly, if one chooses to drive like a bat out of hell then they deserve the MPG's that they get. Who cares one iota how the EPA does it's estimates. Every vehicle that I've ever owned has either achieved or exceeded the EPA estimates and my 2011 truck is no exception.

For the record, I'm the guy who's driving 75-80 because I'm from Maine and like most Mainers, I'm in a hurry all the time. I don't care if my MPG read out says 5 MPG's while climbing a mountain side and 30+ while descending as long as my average remains where I want it. I expect the engine to labor a bit under load.

So, I think enough is enough with the constant sparring back and forth.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:55 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Rude? Nope, just curious. Curious why you are a glutton for punishment since you know people are tired of your opinions and want facts. And yet you keep pushing your opinions - that don't fit with the facts.
What facts Gary? People don't want to hear my facts because they don't support Ford's advertising.

Here is the real question: Why would you turbocharge a gas engine? If you want a diesel, get a diesel. The fact is that 95% of the ecoboost engines are not doing any towing. The fact is that the advertisement of v8 power with v6 economy is untrue because the v6 gets better mileage on the side by side test.

You, who presume to speak for "people" are tired of hearing the facts and would prefer to spread the gospel of ecoboost. Maybe instead of the truthful people going away, maybe you should.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?