2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Which 2015 F150 engine would you pick?
Naturally aspirated 3.5L V6
2.02%
5.0L V8
45.45%
2.7L EcoBoost V6
14.48%
3.5L EcoBoost V6
38.05%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
We all know that either engine will be a good choice because its a Ford and no one really does it better

Old 05-22-2015, 05:08 AM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Differential gearing is another part of this equation that can augment test numbers. What your particular truck comes with or option as ordered. The multiple combinations of gearing and different engines adds more speculation to the debate. At what point will gearing to high of a ratio produce failing returns: 4:11's, 4:30's etc. Most of these F150's come with 3:55's I'm assuming. Then the amount of intended use by any particular driver/owners needs; towing vs. light trips to the lumberyard, or just driving around adds more dynamics and to these queries. And for you guys driving at higher speeds 75-80 mph, hell your just wasting gas and can't expect any kind of milage from your power-plant. I drive at 60 most of the time on the hwy, that's where i get the best milage. They say driving over 65 mph that your gas milage takes a severe drop and well beyond that much worse. With gas prices relatively low right now and hopefully the foreseeable future (since so much as been found here in N. America recently) it's not as much a concern. Though, given the weight of each individuals wallet, it can be more of an issue. I still see mounting evidence upon visits to the dealership of Turbo problems w/these EB engines that does not evoke confidence in purchasing one myself.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
I've always respected someone who can defend his opinion against criticism. Far too many people simply bend their opinion around those they're talking with to avoid adversity.

Originally Posted by tseekins
But, there are those on here who will push their anti-ecoboost agenda till the cows come home.
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean someone has an agenda. Just means they don't agree with you.

The EcoBoost technology is still young, and there's plenty of time left for the otherwise stellar reputation to be tarnished as they accrue miles. What if they reveal a penchant for blowing up at 150,000 miles? Very few trucks have that many miles, so in absence of data we make assumptions based on what we know. I think these engines will acquit themselves well over time, as I think a design that wouldn't last would have showed itself by now. But I could be wrong. Repeat this poll if we start seeing them blow up and you'll see a landslide shift away from the EcoBoost engines and to the N/A designs.

If I were to buy a truck tomorrow it would definitely have turbochargers under the hood. If evidence starts to build indicating that's not a good choice I'll certainly reconsider.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
The issue isn't saving gas under heavy load. It takes a certain amount of energy to haul a load.

However, when the engine is not under heavy load, a smaller engine will consume less energy than a larger engine. It's all about parasitic energy consumption, and most of the time auto/truck engines are running at a pretty low load.
Amen! While my truck is so new (~600 miles) that I can't yet say what kind of MPG it'll get light, I know it'll be much better than Dad's with the 500 lb-ft roller 400 I'm building. And, it'll probably tow the boat every bit as well as the 400, while providing dramatically improved safety and comfort to 5 people instead of 2. Further, it has the capability of towing twice that much and still be safe.

So, it isn't that I don't like V8's - I'm building one that should dyno over 500 HP and lb-ft. And it will be sooooo much fun to play with, and the Magnaflow exhaust will sound great. But, it'll never come close to the EB's economy when running light, and that's how I'll drive my truck most of the time. However, I still want to be able to tow anything I want to tow, and do so with no concern about pulling hills or how much the trailer weighs, and the 5.0 doesn't fit that bill. So, the 3.5L EB is right for me. Is it perfect? No, as I'd love the V8 sound and better MPG. But, it is as close to that as is available today.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:00 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean someone has an agenda. Just means they don't agree with you.
Someone talking ad nauseam doesn't add value. Someone with primary objective to scuffle doesn't add value.

Tim needed to shut down this thread but also realized the real problem wasn't being addressed. Can't thwart a busy-body trouble maker that just jumps to the next thread. Need to close an account, not threads. It is population medicine for the sake of the greater whole, not due to opinions but due to behavior and affect on the community.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:44 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I've always respected someone who can defend his opinion against criticism. Far too many people simply bend their opinion around those they're talking with to avoid adversity.

The EcoBoost technology is still young, and there's plenty of time left for the otherwise stellar reputation to be tarnished as they accrue miles. What if they reveal a penchant for blowing up at 150,000 miles? Very few trucks have that many miles, so in absence of data we make assumptions based on what we know. I think these engines will acquit themselves well over time, as I think a design that wouldn't last would have showed itself by now. But I could be wrong. Repeat this poll if we start seeing them blow up and you'll see a landslide shift away from the EcoBoost engines and to the N/A designs.

If I were to buy a truck tomorrow it would definitely have turbochargers under the hood. If evidence starts to build indicating that's not a good choice I'll certainly reconsider.
I can't disagree with any of your post Tom. However, most of us here are open minded enough to understand that each engine in Ford's lineup serves a purpose, be it an entry level engine that's more affordable or a high performance V-8 or ecoboost. They all serve a purpose and they all help Ford sell trucks.

It's not fun or helpful when you constantly bang your head against a brick wall because of the one or the few users who refuse to understand that all of the engines serves a purpose.

It wasn't that long when Ford dropped the 4.2L V-6 and left us with an all V-8 option, one of which still used the old four speed transmission.

We have great choices people, be happy!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
We have great choices people, be happy!

Ain't that the truth!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's sales figures don't lie and apparently event his poll supports that.

52.78% of the respondents would purchase an ecoboost engine over the 45.14% who would purchase the V-8. That leaves less than 3% who according to this poll would actually go after an N/A V-6.

But, there are those on here who will push their anti-ecoboost agenda till the cows come home.
What is the difference between an "anit-ecoboost agenda" and a ecobooster agenda. Turbos have never increased gas mileage and still don't. People marketing this have the real "agenda". My agenda is too balance the marketing with a little truth. I sort of get the towing, but most people are not buying ecoboost for towing, they are being "sold" how great it is. I was asking a guy with an fx4 about it and he had the ecoboost. Hated it. Loves his 5.0 and for most people that is objectively the best choice.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
What is the difference between an "anit-ecoboost agenda" and a ecobooster agenda
A lover or a hater. There a lots of each out there.
Turbos have never increased gas mileage and still don't.
Nobody said they did. But they improve low end torque by a lot, so if people are towing or racing it works for them.
People marketing this have the real "agenda". My agenda is too balance the marketing with a little truth. I sort of get the towing, but most people are not buying ecoboost for towing, they are being "sold" how great it is.
Is that an agenda or a biased opinion?
I was asking a guy with an fx4 about it and he had the ecoboost. Hated it. Loves his 5.0 and for most people that is objectively the best choice.
Sounds like he doesn't use his truck as a truck and probably doesn't even need a truck.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:24 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Ford's sales figures don't lie and apparently event his poll supports that.

52.78% of the respondents would purchase an ecoboost engine over the 45.14% who would purchase the V-8. That leaves less than 3% who according to this poll would actually go after an N/A V-6.

Just because that is what thy sell does NOT mean that is what people want.

Everyone I know in person that owns a Ecoboost had it forced down their throat by the salesman

Old 05-23-2015, 04:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
What is the difference between an "anit-ecoboost agenda" and a ecobooster agenda. Turbos have never increased gas mileage and still don't. People marketing this have the real "agenda". My agenda is too balance the marketing with a little truth. I sort of get the towing, but most people are not buying ecoboost for towing, they are being "sold" how great it is. I was asking a guy with an fx4 about it and he had the ecoboost. Hated it. Loves his 5.0 and for most people that is objectively the best choice.
You've read it in black and white from Ford's own publication and from my link that the ecoboost replaced the 5.4L V-8 and yet you still refuse to believe or acknowledge the facts as they were presented to you.

The 3.5L gets 20% better MPG's than a 5.4L in the very same set up. Many people who went from a 5.4L truck to an ecoboost were pleasantly surprised by the increase in power and MPG's.

The 5.0L replaced the 4.6L 3V that Ford shoved in the Mustang and then migrated to the F-150 in 2009 for only two years. The 4.6 was a great engine but the 5.0L is far superior in all aspects even though it's still considered as a modular engine.

I don't know of anyone on here who is saying anything negative abut the other engines in order to promote the ecoboost. As I've mentioned before, I was working a deal on a 5.0L truck but got a better deal on the ecoboost. I'm good either way. However, I was instantly impressed by the quiet smooth power and the MPG's that my truck was getting with the factory 235-75-17 Hankook tires.

My MPG's around town have recently dropped by 1-1.5 as I just mounted a set of BFG Rugged Terrains 265-70-17. It's just one size larger but heavier and the truck feels like a different truck. I'm good with a slight decrease to get a better feel and look.

In order to get the best MPG's and performance out of a truck, you must buy the lightest version of that truck. Ford sells more XLT's to us consumers than any other trim level as it represents the best overall value and better fits into most truck buyers budgets. The people who are buying the Platinums and KR trucks are sacrificing the better MPG's for the nicer amenities.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
You've read it in black and white from Ford's own publication and from my link that the ecoboost replaced the 5.4L V-8 and yet you still refuse to believe or acknowledge the facts as they were presented to you.

The 3.5L gets 20% better MPG's than a 5.4L in the very same set up. Many people who went from a 5.4L truck to an ecoboost were pleasantly surprised by the increase in power and MPG's.

The 5.0L replaced the 4.6L 3V that Ford shoved in the Mustang and then migrated to the F-150 in 2009 for only two years. The 4.6 was a great engine but the 5.0L is far superior in all aspects even though it's still considered as a modular engine.

I don't know of anyone on here who is saying anything negative abut the other engines in order to promote the ecoboost. As I've mentioned before, I was working a deal on a 5.0L truck but got a better deal on the ecoboost. I'm good either way. However, I was instantly impressed by the quiet smooth power and the MPG's that my truck was getting with the factory 235-75-17 Hankook tires.

My MPG's around town have recently dropped by 1-1.5 as I just mounted a set of BFG Rugged Terrains 265-70-17. It's just one size larger but heavier and the truck feels like a different truck. I'm good with a slight decrease to get a better feel and look.

In order to get the best MPG's and performance out of a truck, you must buy the lightest version of that truck. Ford sells more XLT's to us consumers than any other trim level as it represents the best overall value and better fits into most truck buyers budgets. The people who are buying the Platinums and KR trucks are sacrificing the better MPG's for the nicer amenities.
Tim,

You are kind of all over the place here.

I quoted exactly what that person said. You skipped "as the premium engine." What I don't understand is who decides what engine replaces what engine and why that isn't just opinion. Doesn't the consumer get to decide what to buy?

Isn't it overall your opinion that the xlt is the "best value" too. Someone here keeps asking me to support by "opinions" with "facts" and "data". The fact is that the vast majority of all of this is opinion. We would agree that the F150 is a truck and yet someone made that up. Do you get that?

I have an xlt. It has nothing I want over a loaded-up xl costing $2000 less. Who uses power pedals? I like the bigger screen, carpet, but I don't see the "value".

As to your "working a deal," I had to do that too. I got a referral from Costco and my price was $1200 below invoice. I ordered and paid for exactly what I wanted. I have no problem waiting a few weeks to get what I want. It looked to me like the Dealership stole some of my money so Costco audited the "deal" and I got my $750, plus tax back.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Just because that is what thy sell does NOT mean that is what people want.

Everyone I know in person that owns a Ecoboost had it forced down their throat by the salesman
Well, I (for one) didn't get the EB "forced down my throat". I chose it quite deliberately.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I (for one) didn't get the EB "forced down my throat". I chose it quite deliberately.
X2. I waited six weeks till the sales lady could find an Ecoboost with the configuration I wanted. There was an 5.0 on the lot with the same configuration, but I waited instead on what I really wanted.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:50 PM
usedup
Junior User
I got the 2.7 because it's what I wanted. You'd have to be a real dumba$$ to think the jillion ecoboost owners had all been "forced".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?