2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Which 2015 F150 engine would you pick?
Naturally aspirated 3.5L V6
2.02%
5.0L V8
45.45%
2.7L EcoBoost V6
14.48%
3.5L EcoBoost V6
38.05%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Byooty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All them years of offering machines with mega grunt......., now this, I cant believe that they offer such a small sized motor in a F150........

Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Byooty
All them years of offering machines with mega grunt......., now this, I cant believe that they offer such a small sized motor in a F150........
Have You driven one yet with the 3.5 ecoboost?, do they sell them down under? These engines make more power than any stock 460, 351/400, 351 Cleveland or Windsor! If you make this statement from the perspective of an old school car guy, I get it, but those days are gone unless you want old school trucks and don't mind working on them.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Byooty
Junior User
Originally Posted by j.grif
Have You driven one yet with the 3.5 ecoboost?, do they sell them down under? These engines make more power than any stock 460, 351/400, 351 Cleveland or Windsor! If you make this statement from the perspective of an old school car guy, I get it, but those days are gone unless you want old school trucks and don't mind working on them.
Yep, Im old school and never had to do much maintenance on a V8 apart from plugs oil filter etc.

Unfortunately they dont sell anything here anymore.... unless you want to pay an arm, leg and your first born (A$100,000+) to get one from an importer.

How do the small engines go when loaded up?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Yep, Im old school and never had to do much maintenance on a V8 apart from plugs oil filter etc.

Unfortunately they dont sell anything here anymore.... unless you want to pay an arm, leg and your first born (A$100,000+) to get one from an importer.

I tow a 7000 pound travel trailer, add another 1500 pounds of the normal luggage and camping stuff, getting on the free way normally, if I am not careful, I will be doing 80 miles per hour and I am not pushing it, keeps up in traffic effortlessly, drinks petrol commensurately, no loads, gas mileage is good! I do not understand the disparity between the U.S. dollar and the Australian dollar and why hard durables are so much more expensive. Congrats on booting Julia Guilard!

Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Byooty
Junior User
I do not understand the disparity between the U.S. dollar and the Australian dollar and why hard durables are so much more expensive.
Join the club.....

Congrats on booting Julia Guilard!
Now we have a fascist dictator in her place, just as well that they banned guns here.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Join the club.....

Now we have a fascist dictator in her place, just as well that they banned guns here.
Back to engines, what is a typical pickup truck in Australia, are they reworked USA trucks or are the Australia home grown, cubic inches and horsepower?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Byooty
Junior User
Back to engines, what is a typical pickup truck in Australia, are they reworked USA trucks or are the Australia home grown, cubic inches and horsepower?

The early 1988 f250 I owned prior to this 2002 one that I bought new came with a 5l fuel injected engine. (clarification, I bought the 2002 new, not the 1988)

Ford brought a series of purpose built left hand drive into the country in the 2000's, they were made in Mexico from memory, Ill have to check the compliance plate.
Ford have since stopped bringing them in and now it is back to the importers to bring them in and convert them to right hand drive.

The 2002 model came with a 7.3 or a 5.4l, Ive never had the need for the bigger engine thats why I chose the 5.4l

All trucks are American, in the early years they used to assemble some in Au.

Most petrol have either Windsor or Cleavland engines, dont know about the diesel ones..

Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The early 1988 f250 I owned prior to this 2002 one that I bought new came with a 5l fuel injected engine. (clarification, I bought the 2002 new, not the 1988)

Ford brought a series of purpose built left hand drive into the country in the 2000's, they were made in Mexico from memory, Ill have to check the compliance plate.
Ford have since stopped bringing them in and now it is back to the importers to bring them in and convert them to right hand drive.

The 2002 model came with a 7.3 or a 5.4l, Ive never had the need for the bigger engine thats why I chose the 5.4l

All trucks are American, in the early years they used to assemble some in Au.

Most petrol have either Windsor or Cleavland engines, dont know about the diesel ones..
Welcome! I know it it sucks to be a truck enthusiast in a place where American trucks are hard to come by. While V-8's will always have a place here, Ford has done an excellent job of reigniting a passion for the small gas turbos.

Ford's "lessons learned" folder is likely as thick as anyone's with all the mistakes and flops of the past. The ecoboost engines have had some teething issues but all in all they've been very successful and I attribute that to a lower buy in cost than diesel, gasoline engine maintenance, awesome power and great MPG's when geared correctly for the user's purpose.

I think this family of engines will continue to evolve and will be around for decades.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I have a 3.5 twin turbo right now and love the engine, I have a max tow and need/want the torque and horsepower for towing my travel trailer.
I tow a 7000 pound travel trailer, add another 1500 pounds of the normal luggage and camping stuff, getting on the free way normally, if I am not careful, I will be doing 80 miles per hour and I am not pushing it, keeps up in traffic effortlessly, drinks petrol commensurately, no loads, gas mileage is good!
Yep, definitely sounds like you need more power!

Originally Posted by byooty
Judge for yourself, watch the videos:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hd-video.html

My little 3.5L EcoBoost was the fastest up the hill last year with a 15,000 lb trailer. Faster than the 6.2L V8 or 6.8L V10 powered trucks that were there, and roughly equal to the 6.0L diesel truck. Of course some of that was because I was a little lighter than the others, but we did my truck no favors. We waited to run until the hottest part of the day, and there were four adults in the cab.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 AM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
I'm thinking of the 3.5 for my next truck, but will look at the 2.7 before making a decision. I'm planning to buy a new truck in 2 years.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
There is one thing FoMoCo is doing right. From what I have heard since they are putting all of their chips into EcoBoost any part that goes bad on it prematurely and is replaced under warranty, gets shipped back to Ford and is reviewed by the engineers to see what caused it to fail and to make revision parts. So hopefully with that said, the second generation of EcoBoost should be much better.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Byooty
Junior User
Not that I have much choice, but Ill stick with the V8 thanks.....

Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Not that I have much choice, but Ill stick with the V8 thanks.....
There are rumors of a v8 version of the Ecoboost engines, I think that would be a hoot! Stay in touch Byooty!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given the stated choices, the 5.0L, I love the current EB, but there is just something about the soundtrack of that V8,(completely juvenile, I know) and the performance and efficiency numbers aren't that far apart. That being said, I wouldn't mind any of the New engine line up except the naturally aspirated V6. Nothing wrong with it, just personal preference.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
msalyer
Senior User
I chose the 5.0. I love my current truck with the V8. It tows great and I'm getting a solid 18+ mpg in non-towing average. That is a full 5 mpg's better than any truck I have owned before.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?