6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No crank , no start Banks IQ W/six gun

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 AM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No crank , no start Banks IQ W/six gun

I pulled out of the store and pulled out into traffic heading for work as I always do. But this time It Died Period. My Banks IQ shows a tuner code 3,4 and says CAN communications ERROR with vehicle OBD system. Banks book says check 46 pin connectors and connection, as well as OBD port connection. and check again. Same Dead *** truck as before. with no more instructions. I have a dash light above the glow plug light is out, the check gauge light lit, check engine light lit. I can not get any codes because the OBD is not communicating. At a bit of a loss here guys. could really use help. I removed tuner completely with no change. no codes on scangauge.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangoutcast
I pulled out of the store and pulled out into traffic heading for work as I always do. But this time It Died Period. My Banks IQ shows a tuner code 3,4 and says CAN communications ERROR with vehicle OBD system. Banks book says check 46 pin connectors and connection, as well as OBD port connection. and check again. Same Dead *** truck as before. with no more instructions. I have a dash light above the glow plug light is out, the check gauge light lit, check engine light lit. I can not get any codes because the OBD is not communicating. At a bit of a loss here guys. could really use help. I removed tuner completely with no change. no codes on scangauge.
Can you get the engine to turn over using the method in this video? If you can then have you tried starting in neutral? if that doesnt work start unplugging 3 wire connectors in the engine compartment one at a time and see if you can get it to turn over with the key, start with the clutch fan connector first.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
have you checked the fuse for the OBD port?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
I cannot find an OBD fuse, I found a data link fuse(good) . My check engine light is on. I cannot get any codes from truck with either the scanner or the scangauge2.\

Old 08-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
Is there a way to Verify the PCM is bad besides replacing it with a known good one? I would hate to put out $300+ for nothing.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:35 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I cannot find an OBD fuse, I found a data link fuse(good) . My check engine light is on. I cannot get any codes from truck with either the scanner or the scangauge2.\
The OBDII port is powered on the same fuse listed as cigar lighter. I's not the same fuse as the power port. If both those are powered then the OBDII port should read.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
Yeah that one says cigar lighter, datalink in my book. And yes it is a good fuse. took it out did visual, put it on ohm meter, and checked voltage on both sides of fuse once it was plugged back in. still no obd communications. I ordered the schematics for this truck but it will be a few days before I get it. I've bombed a couple other sites as well as ASK and so far the majority leans towards the PCU. Anyway to verify outside of the dealership?
Oh yeah, I removed all connections with my Banks six gun, returned to factory stock. still no read with scangaugeII.
Thanks guys, I usually get what I need without asking, just search and I usually find. I appreciate the help.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
Blown fuse #22

I got fed up and decided to go thru and check voltage on both sides of ALL my fuses with key on and found that the fuse that Banks has me tap off from is blown. I removed the tap and tried a new fuse and it blew as soon as the key went hot. the manual I have says "engine control" I haven't got my manual yet so any help guys?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
got the manual

Put an Ohm meter on the fuse lead to ground got 3.5 ohms, went thru circuits and connections until the short disappeared. turned out to be the front connector on the glow plug module. But when I went to prove out the short and reconnect the circuit it would not short out again. So new fuse, hooked everything back up and still no OBD II port communication. So I am fairly certain that I burned something up. whether a fusable link or a module some where. This manual is pretty detailed so I will plug away with the pinpoint checks and such until I have a culprit. I will keep posting incase this could help someone else.
Anyone got Ideas I would gladly entertain them.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 AM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
New PCM

Put in a new PCM, Still no communication with Scangauge II. Went to do the point to point and my truck doesn't have the bulkhead connector that the print says should be there. So I am gonna work as much overtime as I can , Call a wrecker and the ford dealership. Call my credit union and lineup financing. I feel at least a grand lighter, and It hasn't even left the yard yet.
I haven't got much of a response on here so I don't know if anyone is even interested in what it might be. But when I get the news from the dealer I will Post.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:28 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
First issue is banks six gun. Imo. This is why I never looked at the thread.
Tuner codes are worthless, p,c, b and u codes are the only valid dtcs. The after market and banks in particular just adds mayhem. If you keep reading the rest and post back up with the info I will try to follow back up.

Second check the dlc with a test light. Any power?
3rd you dont say what year it is?
Next check terminating resisters... do a search I have explaind it a few times.
Disconnect the suspect connector and retest.
Do a network fault test.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Mustangoutcast
Junior User
Thanks anyway

Sorry I forgot a few things, it is a 2003.
I gave up and took it to the ford dealership. There was an Internal short in my fuse box module.
First I didn't know a fuse box was a Module
Second what was in the back that could short
Third I am grateful I got out for less than the Obligatory $1000 bill.

I realize this site is quite polarized when it comes to tuners and such. But for the most part I have found it quite helpful in the past.
I hope this can be of help to someone in the future.
Thanx

Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,724 Posts
Put in a new PCM, Still no communication with Scangauge II. Went to do the point to point and my truck doesn't have the bulkhead connector that the print says should be there. So I am gonna work as much overtime as I can , Call a wrecker and the ford dealership. Call my credit union and lineup financing. I feel at least a grand lighter, and It hasn't even left the yard yet.
I haven't got much of a response on here so I don't know if anyone is even interested in what it might be. But when I get the news from the dealer I will Post.
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting the outcome.

I am surprised at the statement in bold though. You did have people wiling to help. Mustang_309 suggested a few things and you didn't even acknowledge his suggestions. Pretty much the same w/ cheezit. That coupled with the the fact that solving electrical problems over the internet is a pretty tall order to expect from folks. From what I have seen, oddball electrical problems (especially an intermittent short, etc) are most often solved by having people with good electrical troubleshooting skills right there with you (ie the internet responses may or may not help). Nature of the beast.