Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Elder User

Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Used may be a wise way to start!
Absolutely - and I believe I said way above, many dealers have a glut on used 5ers of all ages, shapes and varieties and are usually willing to deal especially from September on. Do your homework on NADA RV. Whatever is shown as the low retail value, they paid, in most cases, way less for a trade regardless of their asking price. If you were nearby, I would point you at the dealer we just purchased our new Montana from as they have some really nice used.
1931 Deluxe Ford Roadster 5.0/C4/9" and a bunch more
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior User

captfatboyf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.captfatboyf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Used That's what we did we wanted to try grayton beach fl. area and picked a 27 ft super slide,bunks in the back , 2002 not brand new but in mint condition way under 5g.
With the idea we pull it from Missouri down to florida and don't like it we leave it...
Of coarse that did happen)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Well it almost time for the local RV show and I will be looking
to see what I like and lust after.

On space I know that for the most part it's just me and possibly
family every now and then. There are 3 of them.

I still like the looks of the Toy Haulers and know that is over kill.

When it comes down to it what are the pros and cons of new Vs used?

Thanks

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 09-29-2014, 06:26 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Used can be full of hidden disasters. Things that no longer work.

New can be full of things that don't work right because they installed it wrong.

In short it's all a crap shoot.

Used saves you some money.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Elder User

Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Used can be full of hidden disasters. Things that no longer work.
New can be full of things that don't work right because they installed it wrong.
In short it's all a crap shoot.
Used saves you some money.
X2

I've had excellent luck with used, but I sure do like our new one even though it will get a trip to the dealer to fix a few minor screw ups.

If you find a used one that has the bells and whistles you want and is in good or better condition, for sure don't pass on it. Those save thousands of dollars can pay for lots of campground stays, especially if you are financing the purchase.
1931 Deluxe Ford Roadster 5.0/C4/9" and a bunch more
Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
When you go used everything will be on your own dime Vs new where
they may fix it.

That being said what things are the really big stand out issues with a used one?

6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 09-30-2014, 06:00 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
My current new one did perfect for a year. Now it has had a rear stabilizer replaced and the element for the hot water heater (electric) and my lights for the awning quite.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 AM

rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
When you go used everything will be on your own dime Vs new where
they may fix it.

That being said what things are the really big stand out issues with a used one?

The very first thing you have to look at when going used is water damage anywhere on the unit, from water stains on the inside to any delamination on the outside siding. If it was me any sign of water damage and I would walk away from it, if it has had damage repaired you shouldn't be able to see any signs of the repair. If it looks like it was never taken care of then chances are good that it was never maintained. Check everything on the unit before you take delivery, run it on both shore power and battery. Have then hook it to city water and fill the fresh water tank and run it off its own pump. The refrigerator should be checked on both gas and electric and make sure it changes over. The easiest way to check the batteries is disconnect shore power and run the slides in and out multiple times to see if they keep a charge. Look under the unit and check and see what the suspension looks like, are the tires wearing evenly things like that.

Basically what I'm saying is take your time and run and use everything before you sign any papers I don't care how good it looks.

Also plan on pulling the wheels and checking the bearings and brakes after you buy it just to make sure everything's in good shape (I don't trust dealers), if you don't know how to do it well it's a good time to lean, you can come back on here and we will gladly help. If the tires are wearing funny plan on $400 to have the axles aliened, that's what I payed last summer to have mine done again (we put a lot of miles on ours).

We have never bought a used 5th wheel but they are well used when we trade them off so I have lots of experience maintaining and fixing them, our present one is 11.5 years old and in the neighborhood of 90K pulled miles and still going strong, we also lived in it 7 to 11 months out of the year for the last 9 years, and before we head out everything is checked just like I was buying it off the lot.

Denny
Retired 2000 F350 Lariat SC DRW V10 4.30 Gears BrakeSmart
Air Lifts 4X2
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
There are so many GOOD used RV's on the market I just can not justify paying the $ for a new one. My 2007 Arctic Fox I bought in 2010 (or was it 2009) is the best example I can give. All I've done to it (in repairs) is put new tires on it last fall after the season was over.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM