Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
There ARE some very nice "gently used" 5'ers out there. Best time to buy is right AFTER camping season and before the first frost. Dealers don't like having to winterizing their used RV's. Great deals. Got my 2007 AF 29-5E in 2010 for $19.5k. A month earlier they were asking $27 for it. But that was here in the east where the Northwood products don't get seen much. But they are very well built.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr View Post
To the op - what is your truck?
GVWR,
GAWR,
Cab style, etc...
you will probably exceed rear GAWR and GVWR before GCWR or towing limit...

just trying to help
Well to answer that it's Long Bed Crew Cab.
and here is the tag with all the info I hope

Click the image to open in full size.

Sean Click the image to open in full size.
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
11.5K gvwr - cool - you got the max for a swr...
Now you said 8200 weight ?
so with 11500 - 8200 = 3300 lb for hitch, other people, cats, etc and pin wgt...

what about front axle and rear axle breakdown ?
think you will be good for the most part, if not TOO much pin wgt
say a 10000 gvwr 5er (Don't use dry wgt!) ...
say 15 to 20% pin wgt...
that will be about a 1500 to 2000 lb pin wgt...
go to a 15k gvwr and it's 2250 to 3000 pin wgt...
go to a 20k gvwr and it's 3000 to 4000 pin wgt....

but understand all that pin wgt is on the rear axle, so you probably don't have 3300 available in the rear for a 7000 lb axle
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
looking good so far on the numbers.

I'd imagine the rear is around 3200 lbs..so you can add 3K worth of payload on it. Just don't exceed the 7K rear axle rating or the tires, whichever is less...that would the tires.

You are looking at something around 14K max for a 5er based upon the wt and the door cert..

Another good thing is you have the overloads so you might be ok without bags or anything.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
I was looking at a 29' that was somewhere in the 11K
range for it weight. I'll be out looking again this weekend
for fun. So at 11K + goodies. How much junk does one person
drag around I have no clue. One thing I would add to all of that
might be a generator just incase I end up in the outback.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Senior User

wingedone has a good reputation on FTE.wingedone has a good reputation on FTE.wingedone has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
That is really a neat job!

Steve
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post

Another good thing is you have the overloads so you might be ok without bags or anything.
We have overload springs on our f250 and every time we hit a dip in the road we would bounce down the road. Went to air bags and don't have that problem anymore. Just food for thought.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Elder User

Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yahiko, well I see you are asking for help and it seems most everyone is focused on weights. As they have said your 350 will tow "most" anything out there. But you mentioned interior needs? My first question would be:
How are you going to use it? Travel every other day, or tow, park for a while, be it a month or a year?
Grandkids? Or just Big Kids? Friends? wink wink, you may want to look at something that has room to put people in beds or on the floor when they visit. If its just you and the cats, then you may want to look at (as mentioned) a smaller easier to pull solutions but with the comfort that YOU want.
Are you going to be doondocking and if so how long? If so, you can find 5ers with genny's, most will use propane. I suggest one without a genny, but then buy a couple of 2000 watt Hondas and using a parallel kit or getting one that is at least 3100 watts continuous so it can run the air conditioner. Yamaha makes another good one, both of these brands are super quiet, you can buy cheap gensets, but your neighbors will hate you for it!
How much storage? some 5ers have a lot more than others as that depends on if you are full timing or part timing or weekending or will it be used ocassionally so your RV become a storage unit.
One thing I do when I go to an RV show or checking out RV's is to sit on the "pot". Yea, I know, but you gotta be comfortable where it "needs" to be comfortable. Some of these RV's are so compact that the Potty is uncomfortable. I also stand in the shower, a lot of RV' have a skylight above the shower and it gives a little more head room and also make sure the shower has one of those "extend a shower" rods that bow out and gives you room to turn around without the curtain sticking to you.
These are some of the things that come to mind, away from all the other stuff that is important.
Go to RV shows, get ideas, then take the ideas back into your search, don't get caught in the hype of an RV Show. Most people will buy at least 3 Rv's before they keep one long term. You learn what you want and need and then you start modifying (thats the fun part for a lot of us). If you can make do with your first one, then you are ahead of most peoples curves. Happy Searching and ask questions everywhere you go. That is the only way to help get what you think you want.
2011 F-250 Lariat Stock
2003 Keystone Cougar 286 EFS 5er
Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
I had another thought about this whole issue of buying the first one as it comes up all over the Internet. I wonder what would happen if folks approached this task by spending as little as possible on the first one. What if making the "right" decision is impossible the first time out of the gate. How many of us have owned only one RV? Test the waters on the cheap before writing the big check.

Just a thought,

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Post Fiend

Well I did some looking and seems that the next big show
around here is in October.

I am making a list with what I would like
and what I need. The extra space for a
visitor is one thing I was thinking about.
One unit I got to look at I thought was nice till
I found the glass shower in the bed room.

ON roof access why do some people say you need to be
able to walk on the full roof and what ware the advantages?

Also on weight. Do you have any idea without loading one up
what the average single person might take if they are just going
for a kick back and get out of the house for a week?

How good are the satellite dish TV/internet devices?

Last question for now on hitch tech. Are there any big advantages to
the expensive shock mounted pin box setups?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Personally I would not worry about what a person takes or does not take.

Buy based upon the GVW listed on the data plate vs what you know your truck is capable of.

Being able to walk on the roof is important because you need to clean it occasionally and also to inspect it for leaks/repairs if needed. If it does not come with a ladder, have a way to get up there. (A ladder comes to mind).

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Elder User

Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post

Being able to walk on the roof is important because you need to clean it occasionally and also to inspect it for leaks/repairs if needed. If it does not come with a ladder, have a way to get up there. (A ladder comes to mind).
For sure that item - we had a 2001 Sunline bumper pull that didn't. I needed some 3/8" x16" wide plywood to span the rafters to do any roof top work - what a PITA that was.

Pin boxes - most are just the common garden variety, no air, rubber or shocks and USUALLY are all that's needed

Do you really need an expensive digital sat setup for TV or will standard antenna TV do what is needed? Hook up a DVD and watch a movie. Also, a standard antenna with a 'Wingman' will usually do fairly well for most of the current garbage now broadcast.

What is needed for a kickback weekend - enough food, clothes and favorite (adult?) beverages along with any toys. Of course, water if not on a CG hookup.
1931 Deluxe Ford Roadster 5.0/C4/9" and a bunch more
Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Post Fiend

Just an odd thought. On the ones that give you full
walk on roof access. Is it safe to sit up there?
Like for a nice sunset.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Just an odd thought. On the ones that give you full
walk on roof access. Is it safe to sit up there?
Like for a nice sunset.

I don't see why not.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Elder User

Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.Irelands child has a very good reputation on FTE.
Most trailers these days have a 'rubber' roof. So, with that said, you do need to take reasonable precautions such as rubber sole shoes and most important, nothing with sharp edges such as lawn chairs with pointy ends that will pierce that somewhat fragile roof cover. You also need to protect that roof from petroleum products, but that's gist for another thread
1931 Deluxe Ford Roadster 5.0/C4/9" and a bunch more
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels