1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

An Engine Rebuild/Refresh Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Mind me asking the PN for your springs and pushrods? I also was curious if you tossed a set of ARPs in there with stage 2s? I am not planning on needing them with my dinky stage 1s, but am doing so when they tire out and we go a little bit bigger.
Don't be so sure. I put studs in mine. My dinky stage ones hit 43lbs of boost with my S366 with my old tunes. Haven't tried with the new custom tunes and wicked wheel in the turbo yet.

Comp 910 springs. Don't know the part number off hand for the smith brothers pushrods, but google or go to riffraff site and you will find it.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and yes, i did put ARP studs in. Got them from Clay. I bought pushrods locally on CL from a guy who bought a set and never finished his build. i got them half price. i forget the brand, but they were the right size/shape and about twice as heavy as our stock ones, so i took the gamble :-)

and yep, those are the springs - i got them from Clay as well.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:42 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I have the same set up, and I have Tony Wildman tunes on a TS chip. I haven't tried any others, but I like Tony's. They are a little smokey, but make really good power. I've read that Gearhead has good tunes and aren't smokey, but they don't make the power like Tony's. Like I said though, I haven't tried any others with this truck, that's just what I've read.
i thought i remembered our setups were similar - i didnt realize they were exactly the same. so you're happy with TW, huh? that's probably fine for me. how how did you order from him?

and exactly what tunes do you have on it? if i had to pick from his choices, this is what i'd pick and how i'd configure it, but its probably worth a discussion with him/them first...

Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Ok, no DP tune F6 for me. I was looking at their site and seeing what tunes I'd want. Looks like they have some cool ones ("drive through (quiet injectors)" was my favorite), HOWEVER you have to pay for each tune on top of the base chip price of $400. Tune prices seem to be $25-50 each. So, with the chip plus 6 tunes I was up to $700+ already. Fill all 12 positions and you're at a grand!

So, TS6 it is for me. Wildman is nice for the free lifetime reburns, but it looks like TS has a wider variety of tunes....

Guess I just need to make up my mind already, huh?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:45 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The smell that comes off for drive thru is potent. I think it retards the timing. Is ts custom tuned for your mods. Or are they generic.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:17 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
smell? are you saying the DP 'drive through' tune changes the smell of the engine? if so, that's crazy. also, if so, does that mean you have the DP F6? or F5? if so, how do you like it?

and i guess that's what i'm not sure of - generic or custom tunes. i surely don't want/can't pay for custom dyno tuning, but i'm kind of hoping someone out there in FTE land might have my same setup and say "hey, i have that setup and went with these tunes and its perfect!"

i believe bill's wildman tunes are canned, though i'm not sure. if so, that's the closest i've gotten to what i'll probably go with. i believe Glenn has alot of experience with Wildman vs. TS vs. others, but i think our setups are somewhat different.

to be redundant, here's my setup again:

Rosewood Stage 2's (160/80's)
S366 Turbo with intercooler and 4" DP straightpipe exhaust
Terminator T500 HPOP
e-fuel
Comp cam 910's
.080 wall pushrods
melling LPOP
gauges

Old 11-27-2014, 02:22 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
No I don't have a f5/6. Just something I've read. All of them do it. It retards the timing son much that the fuel doesn't get burnt properly and the exhaust smell becomes very pungent. Unless you get live tuning your getting what a tuner feels is going to work best for your truck. Just mak sure they know what you have done to it.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:44 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
so, quite, but makes your food taste like unburnt diesel? sounds delicious :-)

yeah, canned is all that's in the budget - maybe live someday, but not till the sting of this build wears off :-)

Old 11-27-2014, 08:05 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I'd think more likely to bring tears to your eyes. But again. No first hand experience. Technically canned tunes would be a run of the mill setup like riff raff sells for 295 I think. Don't go with those. Custom tunes will be best set for your truck without being done on a dyno. Live is,well, live. I'm sure you'll do good with a ts with customs. Don't forget though, you can get a f6 with only 2 tunes and give them a whirl. If you want someone else's tune you buy them and get them through email. You have a wider variety with it IMO. But I'm no expert. Travis would be better. Glenn has experienc with multiple tuners. Maybe he will chime in

Old 11-27-2014, 11:00 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Tony's tunes are great power, no argument there! But they are smokey to the point that you can't even take off at a stop without a cloud behind you. After paying $50 shipping it back and forth several times he would not back off on the throttle response so I could use the cruise. It was very jerky. I begged him to raise up the shift points and he refused. Its like he would get me chip in the mail, take it out of the box and put it in another and send it back to me.

Gearhead's tunes are weak, the tow tune is actually stock. I called him up and ask what the heck is going on, I pull 18.5K and can hardly get it going. His other ones like economy, street also were very weak. I use his extreme tune for towing but EGT's were really high. I told him that I didn't put thousands of $ under the hood to be detuned. If I want detuned, I will raise my right foot up!

In conclusion, I would use Tony's tunes if he would control the smoke, raise the shift points and cut back on the throttle response. Dyno Proven is a great compromise but I still need him to turn up the power some more. I'm working on that!

Dyno proven is the best that I use all the time now. His heavy tow tune has lots of power, the shift points are perfect and the cruise is smoooooth!

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
i thought i remembered our setups were similar - i didnt realize they were exactly the same. so you're happy with TW, huh? that's probably fine for me. how how did you order from him?

and exactly what tunes do you have on it? if i had to pick from his choices, this is what i'd pick and how i'd configure it, but its probably worth a discussion with him/them first...

I did

Economy
High Idle
Heavy Tow
Daily Driver
Street
Extreme

I run it in the Daily Driver tune 99% of the time. I've towed 11,000 lbs in that tune and it ran great, pulled hard and EGTs stayed under 1100*. I have never used the Economy tune or the the Heavy Tow yet. Had it in Street and Extreme a couple times playing. Extreme tune is very smokey. The Daily Driver tune isn't bad smokey unless I lug it.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:56 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the biggest difference between my setup and yours is the tranny, Glenn. Do you think the cruise jerky-ness is coming from your trans shifting? And maybe the same with the smokey-ness. If the shift points were higher there'd be less smoke?

Seems to jive with what bill is saying...

I'll have to look into Dyno Proven.

And Bill thanks for the confirm on the tunes setup Bill. We're your checkboxes all the same as above as well?

And for a hypothetical - say I buy a TS chip from someone (say tony), I should be able to send to to TS or dynoproven or someone else down the road, right? Or do they somehow 'lock' it when they out their tunes on it?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't do the stock TS tunes for your truck. You have too many mods for them to make it work like it should. What Nick is saying is right. There are basically 3 different "tiers" of tunes you can get.

Stock (Canned) tunes are something that is developed as a "one size fits all" and sold as a part of a TS chip brand new (from TS). They're decent, but you want something more customized to your application since you've done some pretty decent mods to your engine. This is more or less the bottom of the barrel as far as tunes are concerned.

Level 2, if you will, is custom tunes. Custom tunes are tunes that are set up specifically to the application and mods that you have on your truck. These are the guys that most on here run (TW, Gearheads, etc). These guys have a lot of experience tuning modified trucks and make their best (educated) guess as to what will work well with the modifications you have on your truck.

The top of the line is clearly "live tunes". This is when you have your truck sitting at the shop on a dyno, or doing down the road with the tuner himself sitting in the seat. He can see exactly how the truck performs and reacts to each change he is making and he gets feedback from you as to exactly what you want. That means that if you leave and aren't happy with the tunes, it's nobody's fault but your own, lol.

I have TS canned tunes on my truck and I'm pleased with them, but then again I am running a more or less stock truck with a manual transmission. There's not much to mess up in that equation, lol.

Get yourself some custom tunes from one of the tuners mentioned above. It will be money well spent.

And yes, you can send any old TS6 position to the tuner of your choice to get their custom tunes burned to it. That's what I will do if I ever get to that point.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:08 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Thanks for the education Nate! I didn't realize TS tunes were primarily for stock trucks. Good to know!

And yeah, live tuning would be great, but not cheap I'm sure. hopefully, my build is common enough that custom tunes will work well.

Quick Reply: An Engine Rebuild/Refresh Thread