1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

An Engine Rebuild/Refresh Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:09 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
That's exactly what mine did from Strictly Diesel. Cheap China Shi!
You got it! I'm sure summit will send me another one but I dont want it! And It's pain get at now that the fenders are on!

Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much abot your icp readings until you put a few miles on it. You have quite a bit of air to work out

Old 01-01-2015, 05:41 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
My thoughts exactly, nick. But it's hard not to try and address 'problems'. That's what these trucks have trained us to do for years, right? ;-)

Old 01-01-2015, 08:42 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
My thoughts exactly, nick. But it's hard not to try and address 'problems'. That's what these trucks have trained us to do for years, right? ;-)
I hear you. All I'm saying is it may seem like you have a problem now but in the end you may be worrying about nothing. My father in law does that and I gotta say I think it's making him older than he is. Sometimes your better off letting it work itself out. Get the truck on the road, take it for a nice run, and if the problem re occurs address it then. For now, worry about all the other stuff that need to go on it

Old 06-22-2015, 04:00 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
What ever happened to this guy. Anybody know?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
ha! funny you should ask. i have made almost zero progress on the truck in the past ~4 months, and have not been on FTE hardly at all either. i've done a bit of minor trouble shooting, but otherwise, the rebuild has been pretty much trouble-free (knock on wood).

However, I just picked up some new [to me] parts this weekend and will be making a real effort to get the truck all one color again (currently its got a newly painted black front and white, rusty bed) by end of summer.

i also hope to get the D60 that i just bought rebuilt and under the front end with a reverse shackle/super duty spring conversion kit on it before winter as well! ...the current one is weeping pretty good from the shaft seals.

i've been really meaning to get on here at least somewhat and today is my first day back in a while!

Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Haha. Good to hear from you JP

Old 06-22-2015, 05:43 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Hey hey hey JP is in fact alive!!!!

Good deal ...sorry I never emailed...got a bit busy.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:55 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good of you to drop in, JP. Once you get the truck together far enough to use, it's nice to just drive it for a while, isn't it?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman67
Hey hey hey JP is in fact alive!!!!

Good deal ...sorry I never emailed...got a bit busy.
no worries at all. i actually just had my AC system refilled by an friend who does HVAC. we had the engine running and were pressurizing the system when he says "wow, your hot-side temps are climbing really fast..." to which i say, "would that be because i don't have a cooling fan?"

so, he cut it off there and told me to only use the AC when i'm moving. no problem as i never use it anyway, but the wife was unhappy. ...so i bucked up and bought a 16" single fan and am currently building a mount for it.

on a side note, i've pulled over 10,000 lbs in ~80 degree weather with no fan on the engine since the rebuild and my coolant and oil temps were nominal the whole time. EGT's were slightly higher on big, long hills, but at ~2100 rpm, i could keep them below 1000 pretty easily.

...so if it wasn't for AC (or in other words, the wife), i wouldnt be running a fan at all!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:08 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Good of you to drop in, JP. Once you get the truck together far enough to use, it's nice to just drive it for a while, isn't it?
darn right it is! its also been really nice to just address little things as i feel like it - or have time to - rather than feeling under the gun to get it back on the road ASAP!

the pressure is mounting to get it all one color again, though! i just picked up a pristine tailgate last weekend as well, though so once i find the time to pull the bed from the other truck, i'll do all the paint at once and be done.

...except that i want to build my back rack and step bars first so that i can bedline and paint them all at the same time.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
I'm removing the electric fans tonight!!!!!

I'm done.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:23 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman67
I'm removing the electric fans tonight!!!!!

I'm done.
ha! oh well. bad timing, huh?

...maybe next time on the parts swap.

let me know if you still need the mechanical fan and shroud. i have no use for them.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran my old truck without a fan for about a year and the only time I got a little worried was when I got stuck in traffic on an hot day, running the A/C. If I sat there long enough without moving much the temp needle would start to climb. I put the mechanical fan back on after that. It did make a nice difference in the noise level of the truck (like that helps much, LOL).

Old 06-25-2015, 11:51 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
ha! oh well. bad timing, huh?

...maybe next time on the parts swap.

let me know if you still need the mechanical fan and shroud. i have no use for them.
I have a shroud.I got a fan but one blade got tweaked in shipping.I straightened it but not sure if I trust it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An Engine Rebuild/Refresh Thread