6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bullet Proof or not to Bullet Proof

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 AM
scan7034
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullet Proof or not to Bullet Proof

Hello, I'm pulling my turbo to fix an oil leak I have & I've been reading about Bullet Proof Diesel's engine oil system. Has anyone used it & is it worth the money (pretty pricey). Thanks

Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Here's a pretty good discussion about it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-cooler-2.html

Old 08-02-2014, 01:36 AM
scan7034
New User
Thank you sounds like those who have it love it & those who don't hate the price. I have put 2 coolers in already & don't want to do it again.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the BPD system, have installed it for a few people.

I myself don't have one. If the cooling system is properly flushed, and maintained you shouldn't have to do a cooler more then once.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you switched to elc coolant, flushed the system before you swapped your last cooler? A coolant filter may help too.

Sent from my leash using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-02-2014, 01:49 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 329 Likes on 204 Posts
The thread nccpartsman linked was one I started. I have been in contact with Gene Neil (co-owner) of BPD and have asked several questions that he so graciously answered. Aside from the extensive almost obsessive lurking for answers I have done, I am convinced that this is a great kit and a good choice for people looking to take the guesswork out of coolant flushes, back flushes, delta spreads, rework of cooler R&R's etc etc. Some have mentioned in the other post their "assumed" negatives regarding this kit, but they have NO LEG TO STAND ON or proof that their claims of potential failure probabilities even exist or have happened, just the "what ifs" and that is not good enough for me.

Although my cooler is working well and has been due to my maintenance of the cooling system and being proactive with longevity repairs, I am still highly considering this kit once I do some other minor repairs.

My opinion:

Is this kit a bit expensive? Absoulutely
Can you buy 5 coolers for the price of this kit? Yes but how stupid is that
Is my time worth a lot? Yes
Is my coolant system healthy? Yes
Do I need this kit to fix underlying problems? NO
Have "I" found ANY news/posts or people that say this kit sucks and a waste of time and money? NO and I challenge anyone to bring one forward because I am as skeptical as the next guy and want to see it for certain!
Is tear down a PITA to replace coolers? fk yes it is

With that said do what you think is right for your truck and pocketbook and know that BPD is a class act company that stands behind their products

Good Luck
Joe

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Stu206
Junior User
BPD Coolers/OIL EGR

Is it a good system, in my opinion yes it is, keeps the oil and water cooler then a stock system and the EGR is cooler then stock also. Most of my running around town with some freeway driving my oil and coolant temps are about 10 degrees different. Usually in the 189 to 190 range, if pulling my 5th wheel it goes up to around 210 to 215, if pulling a mountain grade it will go up to around a max of 235 to 240 oil and 220 to 225 for ECT.
Oil Cooler with cold weather protection added to it, cooler stays closed until oil gets to 185 then it opens to flow oil thru it. Stock oil cap is 16 qts, with BPD Oil cooler is 20 qts., more oil means cooler oil.
Is it worth the money to install it, I believe so. Cooler oil means less breakdown of oil in 5000 mile oil changes. Engine runs cooler and so does the oil in my opinnion. Vern

Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 PM
scan7034
New User
Thank you I'm going to go talk to them on Friday & prob. go with BPD oil system I've replaced my cooer twice now with the upgraded cooler flushed it both times & once when I replaced the radiator. I live in Arizona & pull a 33' 5th wheel about 3-5 trips a year. It gets prety warm here even for daily driving. Also looking @ prob. replacing my turbo with the Garrett stage 1 cause my vanes are starting to stick. Have the Bank sixgun bundle w/ speed loader, 4" lift & 35" tires

Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Stu206
Is it a good system, in my opinion yes it is, keeps the oil and water cooler then a stock system and the EGR is cooler then stock also. Most of my running around town with some freeway driving my oil and coolant temps are about 10 degrees different. Usually in the 189 to 190 range, if pulling my 5th wheel it goes up to around 210 to 215, if pulling a mountain grade it will go up to around a max of 235 to 240 oil and 220 to 225 for ECT.
Oil Cooler with cold weather protection added to it, cooler stays closed until oil gets to 185 then it opens to flow oil thru it. Stock oil cap is 16 qts, with BPD Oil cooler is 20 qts., more oil means cooler oil.
Is it worth the money to install it, I believe so. Cooler oil means less breakdown of oil in 5000 mile oil changes. Engine runs cooler and so does the oil in my opinnion. Vern
This is exactly why I don't believe that the BPD system is "better". I have seen multiple reports of oil temps getting into the 240° range.

Of course everybody drives different and terrain everywhere is different, but we have some pretty steep and long climbs in southern Oregon and my oil temps with the factory OC setup never get above 232°. Now the extra 8° that Vern is seeing isn't going to hurt anything, but it seems that the BPD system is not as efficient as the OEM oil cooler.

With that being said, I have no actual experience with BPD and I believe they have a good product but I don't believe they can be called a better product when they don't cool as efficient.

Just my opinion

Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Stu206
Junior User
When I was getting the temps up to around 235 to 240 on Oil Temp I was climbing Rodgers pass in Idaho and also the Cont. Divide in Montana pulling a 11K 29.5 Triple Slide 5th whl. in August in hot weather. I have pulled the mountains in Southern Oregon on my way south for the winter also pulled Hwy 58 out of Bakersfield going to Az. When I am pulling my 5th whl I watch all my temps and try to keep the EGT below 1200 degrees, I'll downshift to another gear to keep temps in line. I may also be slow on the hills, but I get up there.

The reason I put the BPD Oil and EGR Coolers on my 6.0L was I blew the Headgaskets and got water in the coolers from way too much boost from a stuck unison ring in the stock turbo. I was on my way North from Az, and going up Hwy 95 in Nevada and then run Hwy 97 North thru Calif and Oregon to get back to Wa State. When the engine was torn down I decided to replace the stock Coolers and stud the engine as well along with a Powermax. So far everything is doing good temp wise and pulling wise too....Vern

Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
I fully understand the addition of a BPD system when doing a rebuild, especially after having a catastrophic failure.

The 232° oil temp max I have seen was pulling my fully loaded toyhauler at 11k.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 PM
scan7034
New User
I've dune almost every upgrade FICM, HPOP, oil cooler (twice), Blue Spring Upgrade, pluged my EGR cooler, aluminum radiator, clutch fan & flushed the cooling system (3 times). If the BPD system will keep me from having to fix my truck every 2 years or so then I'm in, if this will fix my problem than its worth the extra money it will cost & the time & headaches it will save me.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by scan7034
I've dune almost every upgrade FICM, HPOP, oil cooler (twice), Blue Spring Upgrade, pluged my EGR cooler, aluminum radiator, clutch fan & flushed the cooling system (3 times). If the BPD system will keep me from having to fix my truck every 2 years or so then I'm in, if this will fix my problem than its worth the extra money it will cost & the time & headaches it will save me.
I understand, but the BPD system won't magically fix your unhealthy coolant system.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM
scan7034
New User
The thing is I'm not having over heating problems this time now I have an oil leak, pooring out from around the cooler & no loss of oil pressure. Its been in for 4 years now. Its not coming from the sensors & the drain tube does not fill loose. Going to pull it apart this weekend to find out for sure just don't want to do this again. I keep hearing that the factory coolers only last around 50k miles & mine is getting close to that & the 1 before this 1 only lasted around 60k.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM
wildcat421
Senior User
Factory oil coolers only last 50,000 miles is completely false. My truck is at 70,000 miles and several of my buddies are over 90,000 miles and one of them is over 110,000 miles. All are still running stock oil coolers that came with the truck. We all use synthetic oil since new and change every 5,000 miles. Not sure why you are having problems with these oil coolers?

Quick Reply: Bullet Proof or not to Bullet Proof