Ranger starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
hackdad7725
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger starting issues

Hello,

My sons 95 Ranger XLT V6 runs great most of the time but every few days it cranks over and won't start. I've replaced fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Cleaned the IAC and it immediately starts. Couple days later I'll drive it and get in it and cranks but won't start. Seems like a fuel issue. Certain times i'll step on the gas pedal when trying to start it and she won't start. Will start cold without touching pedal always. If I wait 15 minutes or so and unplug and switch the relays around it always seems to start? Any ideas on solving my dilema !

Thanks !!!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Try cleaning the contacts that the relay slide into. Was told you can access by pulling the plastic off the board on the fender. Dont know for sure but a guy told me that they corrode easily. If nothing else try to get an emory board down into the slots to clean them up. let us know.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I like Hank85713 relay contact check ideas. The under hood power distribution box located power relays for the fuel pump & computer, are known problem parts. If you don't find any external power relay contact corrosion problems, you might consider swapping in a like known good relay not needed to run the engine, like the AC power relay & see how it goes.

When it won't start, are all of the dash warning lights lighting up for their self test???? If not, put the computer power relay at the top of the suspect list. If the warning lights are lighting up when it won't start, put the fuel pump power relay at the top of your suspect list.
When you go to KOEO, before you crank the engine, listen for the fuel pump to run for a couple of seconds & cycle off, as the computer has it run to prime the system to build fuel pressure for the expected start. If you can't hear the fuel pump run, then move the fuel pump power relay, its external contacts, or wiring to it, high up on your suspect list.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM
hackdad7725
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the tips to resolving this ! I've cleaned all the relay contacts this morning and started and drove the truck about 30 miles, restarting it a half dozen times with no issues. It seems like she always behaves for a couple days after messing with the relays. One thing I didn't mention was that in the past week the truck has started and all the dash warning lights remained on during the drive, i'd pull over, shut it down and restart it and the lights would go off.... Could all the relays be going bad ? Are Oreilly aftermarket relays reliable... I should probably replace them all now !

Thanks again !

Mark

Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Lets think about this some more. The computer controls the operation of the fuel pump power relay & the dash warning light self test sequence, so if the dash warning lights are remaining on after the vehicle has been started & is being driven, the power relays are working, but something seems to be intermittently amiss with computer control.

Do you have a lit CEL???? if so, scan the computer for trouble codes & post up All code Numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

Have you checked all battery to body & engine ground connections & the battery ground cable for connection soundness via voltage drop testing, or wiggle tests????

These models are known to develop a windshield water leak on the lower right side, that'll drip on the computer, that's mounted up behind the glove box, that'll cause mischief, so if you've noticed a damp/wet floor mat on the passenger side, investigate for a windshield leak.

Those year computers are known to have lots of faulty circuit board cold solder connections & lots of solder splashes.

More thoughts for your trouble shooting consideration, more clues would be helpful, let us know how it goes & maybe the forum can be more focused in our guesses.