Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Freshman User

79cummins is starting off with a positive reputation.
bret bowen 79cummins
79 f150 cummins street truck

Click the image to open in full size.

My truck started as a stock 79 f150 351w ac c6 9'' rear.

truck is a none restored original rust free truck, only body mods are to the tailgate roll pan an paint..

The motor an tranny came from a 1995 dodge 2wd.
motor is a 12v cummins, p pump factory rated at 160hp
tranny is a non electric 47rh overdrive with lock up

upgrades to the motor include

flowed an benched p180 pump, 5000rpm governor springs, delivery valves, mack rack plug, 5x18 injectors,

fire ringed head with titanium retainers upgraded spring.

block is 40 over billet pistons stock in all other areas tho.

turbo is a 66mm set with 1to1 drive pressure at 50lbs of boost, waste gated manifold running into the down pipe, running a boost controlled nitrous fogger system to clean up the rest of the fuel at the top end an a progressive shot to help spool the turbo at the bottom end.

intercooler is the stock dodge upside down with a few inch's cut off the top

tranny we built in the barn with the rest of the truck, added up graded clutches steel drums an planets billet accumulators upgraded valve body late model input an out put shafts. with a billet converter

the rear end is a 9'' with a full spool, 3.08 gears

im going off the top of my head so if theres anything else you wana know let me know..
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Elder User

blue04.5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like it. Door handles and bumper look good painted to match. Drop beams up front? What kind of MPG that thing get, I would imagine its pretty good. Is it a box borg warner turbo or did you get it from someone?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04.5 View Post
I like it. Door handles and bumper look good painted to match. Drop beams up front? What kind of MPG that thing get, I would imagine its pretty good. Is it a box borg warner turbo or did you get it from someone?

im running cut springs front an spring flip rear, but its almost on the stops front an rear so im going drop beams an a c notch in the rear along with massive sway bars.. the turbo is a mix match pile of used parts off some pull truck.. its been pretty tuff, bearings lasted about 2 years, just rebuilt it..

as for mpg at 60mph no boost babying it iv got 36mph running the truck normal an having fun I stay in the 25mpg range, an running extremely hard it will eat a tank in a quickness..

the suspension is my last stage of the build, im doing I beams in the front with bags an valves on the bags with massive sway bars ( cant go mustangll or crown vic due to the 1200 pound motor. rear im c notching with 4 link on the out side of the frame with a pan hard bar an massive sway bar.. the truck will sit 2'' lower than my pics at ride height an I hope to have added performance , rite now it drives like stock, doesn't hook at all an corners like a tractor rite now its a fun truck, roll into the boost at 60mph an burn the tires as long as you hold it, has no function at all tho an is a hand full at highway speeds when it breaks loose
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Elder User

blue04.5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why are you going four link outside of frame rails, just seems like it would limit the width of the tire you can fit back there? Im sure you have your reasons, just curious is all.
I enjoy the cummins motor in my other truck, but the truck make wont be mentioned here

Looking forward to your updates.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 AM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04.5 View Post
Why are you going four link outside of frame rails, just seems like it would limit the width of the tire you can fit back there? Im sure you have your reasons, just curious is all.
I enjoy the cummins motor in my other truck, but the truck make wont be mentioned here

Looking forward to your updates.
the 4 link will be in the same location as the leafs witch still allows for a decent tire an allowing for more room for my bag mounts an sway bar...

this is a pic im using for the idea I have.. my goal is to make the truck hook with stock rims an small slicks
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Elder User

oddfordjunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is quite the unsuspecting sleeper.

Looks like you raised the floor tunnel, did you also notch the engine crossmember?

Love the rat rod truck with compounds.

Have you dynoed the truck?

Looks like very clean work and seems you have quite the knowledge and love affair with diesels.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:46 AM
Junior User

pauli3wood is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is awesome! Very similar look to what I'm going for on mine.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Posting Guru

jgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to alljgavac is a name known to all
Jameson Gavac jagg007
Nice looking truck, and that rat rod looks pretty killer too!

-Jameson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Thanks for the myopic criticism Montana. You're bundle of joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
Whiskey does not agree with me, and Mr. Daniels is always getting me in trouble
Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 AM
Posting Guru

co425 has a great reputation on FTE.co425 has a great reputation on FTE.co425 has a great reputation on FTE.co425 has a great reputation on FTE.co425 has a great reputation on FTE.
Very nice. Don't see too many in 2wd form. Wonder if mine will cook them at 60 too?

1974 F250 4X4
Cummins 12v, NV4500 , np205, Dana 60 Front, GM 14 bolt rear.
Cummins swap/truck upgrade thread
http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/show....php?t=1181279
LIBERALISM IS PESTILENCE!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM
unregistered user

Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
Nice. I'm in the process of building my 80 F150 2wd with a 12V and NV4500 5 speed.
Not going for anything near that wild, though. My goal is just a simple, daily-driver type build, using as many stock items as possible.

Looks like the engine was a rather tight fit in the 2wd chassis. I'm curious about the front crossmember too, as I've heard the 65-79 2wd front cross member has to be notched about 2" for oil pan clearance.
1984 CRX 35 MPG go kart
1995 Mazda B2300 (undercover Ford)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie View Post
That is quite the unsuspecting sleeper.

Looks like you raised the floor tunnel, did you also notch the engine crossmember?

Love the rat rod truck with compounds.

Have you dynoed the truck?

Looks like very clean work and seems you have quite the knowledge and love affair with diesels.
The fire wall an tunnel are stock. The pic you see with the rusty tunnel is of the rat rod. I got the pics mixed up, both the for an the rat rod broke the stock flex plates after a few full power runs. The truck is definitely a sleeper. But dosnt hook good enough to go up anything fast.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins
The crossmember is un cut, I did notch the oil pan for clearance and the rear valve cover is close to the fire wall but dose not hit. I used a set of ford Cummins motor mounts an just had to do some persuading. As for running on the dyno, I haven't got a chance to do it just yet. I hope to be around 600 to the tires tho.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins

I wish I had more build pics but the motor swap was done in a few weekends, the original home for this motor an trans where in a 78 chevy 2wd half tone, my buddys an I built a few years back, but the frame couldn't handle the power or weight of the motor so my buddy sold the truck, keeping the motor an trans for another truck, as he lost interest we decided to put the motor in a real truck so the plans was in effect, it was a rushed build do to money an being out in the weather.. the truck has been together 2 years now an is slowly becoming what I had envisioned..
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins

heres a bunch more pics.. had to sand my bed rails an repaint them due to a 10 year old paint job an using the bed for what it was made for.. used brake caliper paint an cleared it.. turned out darker than the rest of the truck but I just needed something tuff to help with scratch's
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Freshman User

bret bowen 79cummins
$40 paint fix

Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks