Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 F150 (First Truck)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect

Old 08-03-2014, 08:57 AM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Went ahead yesterday and lifted up the carpet, to check out the floorpan. It's not the worst and it's not the best. Its pretty solid but the upper piece is kinda cracked. As y'all can see in the pictures, that drivers side rocker is really bad. The whole seat belt goes through the floorboard!

I also got a $20 Chicago Electric angle grinder from Harbor Freight to get a headstart on the bed removal. My dad has a grinder but he's been working in Fayetteville a lot lately (2.5 hrs NW) and needed to take it with him. So I'll take that and get the bolts off someway! And one day after I'm done at football this week, hopefully some of my buddies can come over and we can get er off! Preferably some of the linemen

If there's a better approach than grinding the heads off the bed bolts and then replacing them with Grade 8 carriage bolts, any information would be great!

Have a great Sunday y'all!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Well, after looking underneath at my bolts, I found there was a leaky gas line (probably dry rotted out) so add that to the list of things to fix! Anyways, my dad threw it put there that with the leaky gas line it may not be a good idea to grind the bolts. Sparks and gas may equal so I'll use that as a last resort I guess!
Hit em all with break away and I'll see what my socket can do. May need the air gun for this! Reason I'm spending more time with the bed than mechanical issues right now is I'm going to have to drop the tank anyway, so I figured it would be easier if that bed wasn't there. Plus the bed has to come off as I'm replacing it...its a win win

Old 08-04-2014, 11:52 PM
krooser
Elder User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
As odd as it sounds, cars and trucks from the northern part of WI typically don't suffer as much catastrophic rust damage as those from around the Milwaukee and Madison areas. Reason being, sand is primarily used in winter in the northern part of the state, with the exceptions of the big cities like Eau Claire. Around Milwaukee, it's salt and calcium chloride, that crap eats everything!

Looks like a good project, good luck.
I wonder what they do with those huge piles of calcium chloride? Believe me... they use lots of salt and other deicers up here...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM
1995F150XLT4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on that, Krooser

Old 08-05-2014, 12:14 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Well this truck has some rust issues, mostly body issues though!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Got 2 of the 6 bolts off today with the grinder. The nuts on the bolts were rusted to the bolts so that option was out. Took off the tailgate panel bc I don't want to wreck it! It's in good condition and want to keep it that way!!

Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
And the rust reform begins...

Updates:

This week, a couple of buddies and I pulled the bed off after football one day. Getting all the bolts off was a PITA! I first had to grind the heads off of the bolts, and then let them drop so I could grind off the nuts. But hey, after 4 hours total I got em off! I have a new rust-free bed for her, but I'm gonna wait to put it on. Today I put in some work with a wire wheel and a hammer on the frame to take care of the surface rust. It's shiny in some parts again! Once the frame is cleaned up enough, I'm going to hit it with flat black (maybe gloss) Rustoleum spray paint to make it look good (well better )While it's off, I'm gonna fix the fuel pump issue. Not sure if it's the main tank pump or the one on the rail...but while it's off I want to tackle it. Probably take care of the rear shocks too, they're shot. And while I'm at it, I want to do a cab swap. I guess you can say I'm an adventurous for 16. I have some money saved up, I don't get to spend mommy and daddy's dime on my project, so the build will go as far as my money will!

Hope y'all are as excited about this as I am!

Had to clean up the pipe!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:06 PM
krooser
Elder User
I bet the locals cringe when they see all that corrosion… fear not it can be dealt with.

I'd avoid doing a cab swap and I'd repair that cab. All those repair panels are available… find a friend who has a mig welder that you can borrow. Or buy one… I understand you have a budget but you should be able to find a used Miller or Lincoln at a pawn shop for a good price. Stay away from those cheap Horrible Freight jobs… they will make your welding look like dog c*ap….

The experience you gain on this project will be valuable for the rest of your life… go get 'em.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Krooser- why would you avoid the cab swap? I know those parts are available, but with the rockers, cab corners, and floor pans gone. For the price to get all of those and a welder (no friends of ours here have one) I could find a donor truck or get a whole cab for.

I'm just wondering is all, not trying to be rude

But thank you for your encouragement for the project, I hope to keep this truck as long as I can

Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 PM
krooser
Elder User
The cab swap isn't really a simple project… doable but you will need a shop crane or several strong backs. There are often wiring issues that need to be addressed not to mention the vin tag.

Maybe I don't like to take the easy way out… I've been working on rusty iron for so long I guess I'm immune to it. That said I HAVE bought a lot of rust free cars and trucks in my life (my recent free California F-350 is one). They are much easier to work on but, again, I have done quite a few older cars and trucks that needed a lot of work… rust builds character I guess and fixing it gives you a lot of life long skills…

Another thing is you can be driving your truck while you are still doing repairs… fix one section at a time. It's much more fun driving your project that having it torn apart in your driveway.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by krooser
The cab swap isn't really a simple project… doable but you will need a shop crane or several strong backs. There are often wiring issues that need to be addressed not to mention the vin tag.

Maybe I don't like to take the easy way out… I've been working on rusty iron for so long I guess I'm immune to it. That said I HAVE bought a lot of rust free cars and trucks in my life (my recent free California F-350 is one). They are much easier to work on but, again, I have done quite a few older cars and trucks that needed a lot of work… rust builds character I guess and fixing it gives you a lot of life long skills…

Another thing is you can be driving your truck while you are still doing repairs… fix one section at a time. It's much more fun driving your project that having it torn apart in your driveway.
True true, I understand! Currently I have a 2001 Highlander hand me down from my mom, she got a new one last year. So the plan is, once I get the truck completely "finished" my parents will let me add it to the insurance. So I have a reliable DD for right now, that's why I'm not so worried about having her torn apart. But I get what ya mean. My buddies who helped me take the bed off were amazed at the frame and all the rust on it. They kept telling me it was shot and that I better look for a new truck . I just laughed and let em think what they wanted. So in response to your post a couple back...the locals do cringe at the rust!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like a truck that has some potential. Being 18 I know how it feels to want to fix up your truck to be so nice.

I kinda think doing a cab swap is a better idea personally. Main reason is (and I am guessing at this so please don't be offended) your welding experience is probably like mine slim to none and welding this metal on these trucks are a bit hard. Doing a cab swap isn't to bad as long as you get one of your year range (87-91 for you and me). Just have to remember what is what and take lots and lots of pics.

If I were you I would empty the tank clean it well, replace the fuel pump in tank, replace possibly the inline one, and the fuel filter again just to be safe. I would hate to see your truck go down because of contaminated fuel lines. Wouldn't hurt to also remove the lines and blow an air gun threw the to get all the gunk out.

(Check out my build thread if you want any ideas (the link in my sig that says 88 F150 4x4).

Have fun with it.
Trav

Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 AM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
looks like a truck that has some potential. Being 18 I know how it feels to want to fix up your truck to be so nice.

I kinda think doing a cab swap is a better idea personally. Main reason is (and I am guessing at this so please don't be offended) your welding experience is probably like mine slim to none and welding this metal on these trucks are a bit hard. Doing a cab swap isn't to bad as long as you get one of your year range (87-91 for you and me). Just have to remember what is what and take lots and lots of pics.

If I were you I would empty the tank clean it well, replace the fuel pump in tank, replace possibly the inline one, and the fuel filter again just to be safe. I would hate to see your truck go down because of contaminated fuel lines. Wouldn't hurt to also remove the lines and blow an air gun threw the to get all the gunk out.

(Check out my build thread if you want any ideas (the link in my sig that says 88 F150 4x4).

Have fun with it.
Trav
Thanks Trav! And I'm not offended actually you're 100% correct, I've never done a lick of welding before. So that's why I agree with you and think I'll take the "cab swap" route of things.

As for the fuel issues~my plan was to empty the tank and then try to figure out which pump is bad and replace the lines. After sitting for so long they probably were like the tires and dry rotted. But I could be wrong! I'll be sure to check your build out!

Michael

Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with replacing the lines is most places don't sell those lines and it is a junkyard only find. You have to use those lines because the regular 5/16ths hose that you put on carb models won't work (a buddy of mine did it to his 89 F350 351 and it ran like crap he then put the correct stuff back on and it ran great). If you look at the hose you buy like that it says not for Fuel injected models.

My truck sat for a very long time also (same with my dad's 89 F250) and we disconnected both ends of a line and took a blow gun and blew it out you would be surprised how much dirt came out. Once I got the truck running I then replaced the fuel filter once again just to be safe as I don't want that gunk and rust getting into my engine.

Another thing I would do while the bed is off is inspect all brake lines. Not sure how your brakes are in your truck right now but if they are a bit mushy it can be from sitting and it might not hurt to bleed the brakes.

I do agree with Krooser that it will require some good strong people it took my 2 brothers, my dad, and I to lift the extended cab off my brothers 96 ranger. The good cab I ended up using my tri pod and chain come along because I still had parts attached to it.

tires I wouldn't worry about for right now. On my 88 I had a set of dodge wheels that I traded straight across for a set of wheels and tires that had 30% tread and little to no dry rot. For right now it is a roller I doubt a tire is going to hurt anything for the time being. Now I would worry about it before I got out on the roads with the truck.
Trav

Quick Reply: 89 F150 (First Truck)