Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Will AE read LPOP pressure on a 7.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will AE read LPOP pressure on a 7.3L?

I'm getting a fuel pressure gauge as AE can't read that as there's no fuel pressure sensor on the truck. I know I can get volts and ICP from AE, but would also like engine oil pressure. I'm not sure if the truck has an engine oil pressure sensor or not. Can anyone confirm whether I'll need to get a gauge to see low pressure oil pressure, or will be able to see it in AE Ford package?

I'm about to order AE and the fuel pressure gauge, and am wondering if I should be ordering the LPOP pressure gauge too.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope there is no sensor for it

Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Thanks! Looks like one more gauge going on this order.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
RiffRaff lists an Engine Oil Pressure sensor (Engine Oil Pressure Sensor - Riffraff Diesel Performance) for the truck (mine is an '02 7.3L). Any idea what/where/how this would be used? The ISSPRO EV2 oil pressure gauge will include its own pressure sensor, right?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should have all you need.
Or you could just get a sensor for the fuel gauge and put a switch on it and just have one gauge

Old 07-30-2014, 02:03 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Combining gauges using a switch to swap inputs is an interesting thought. I already have four on the pillar and am considering four more which starts to get pretty crammed with gauges. Hmm... EGT might be a nice one to combine (rather than have dual EGT showing all the time).

Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthernWild
RiffRaff lists an Engine Oil Pressure sensor (Engine Oil Pressure Sensor - Riffraff Diesel Performance) for the truck (mine is an '02 7.3L). Any idea what/where/how this would be used? The ISSPRO EV2 oil pressure gauge will include its own pressure sensor, right?
That's just an on/off switch for the dash "gauge", which is really nothing more than an idiot light on a stick. The sender is located on top of the HPO reservoir.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Got it; that makes sense. Thanks Pikachu. I was disappointed to realize the analog dash gauges for trans temp and coolant temp (oil pressure too, which I forgot for a bit here) are really idiot lights. The first time my transmission got hot before rebuild, I was surprised to see the gauge up in the yellow without having seen it climb at all before that. I realized my mistake when it did an instant drop from yellow to mid-range (normal) after a few minutes of sitting.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have one gauge that has more than one sensor available by way of a DPDT switch. The LPOP is so crazy reliable that once you check your low oil pressure, you're better off pulling the sensor and using it for a fuel pressure sensor.

To confirm what has already been mentioned, the low oil pressure reading is not on the OBDII port, nor is the coolant temperature.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Thanks Tugly. I just placed the order with oil pressure gauge. Oh well, I may end up skipping the gauge and just using the sensor from it on a switch with fuel pressure gauge. I'm trying to come up with an overall gauge strategy. Let's see if I've got this straight.

Existing 4-pod on A-pillar:
Boost --> available on OBDII port, could display on AppRadio or something
EGT - NOT on OBDII, could put in another sensor and have one for each cylinder bank with only one gauge.
Trans --> available on OBDII port, right/wrong?
Coolant - NOT on OBDII

Gauges I'm thinking of adding based on recent issues not yet resolved:
Fuel Pressure - NOT on OBDII.
LPOP
- NOT on OBDII, but not a common failure. Might use switch to display this on fuel pressure gauge.
HPOP --> available on OBDII port
Volts --> available on OBDII port

If I've got the list of what's available on OBDII correct, an AppRadio or equivalent with OBDII connector and my existing 4-pod A-pillar would let me display all of the above, with either Fuel Pressure and LPOP combined, or the two EGT sensors combined in one gauge. Am I missing anything?

Lastly, is there anything like an AppRadio that will work WITHOUT the phone in the vehicle to display this stuff?

If I don't end up going with an AppRadio-like option, I'm thinking the F650 dash with room for three gauges (leave existing A-pillar 4-pod alone and combine Fuel Pressure and LPOP in F650 dash) would do the trick.

Questions/suggestions/opinions on gauge setups are all appreciated. Is there anything I'm missing?

FWIW, this is from the perspective of having already done tranny, injectors, brakes, and taking care of beginnings of lower body rust. I expect to keep the truck for at least 5 more years, maybe 10. Reliability and ease of troubleshooting are of paramount importance as I live in a very remote location with no parts stores / or diesel shops for many hours in any direction and I drive on highways in all conditions hours from nearest cell service where the next vehicle may not come by for hours.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
If you really want to gauge up, dual EGTs have been a real benefit to myself and a couple of members here. Imbalance between the readings is a total prairie dog that something is amiss... and which side it's on. Fuel Pressure is 0-100, and guess what... so is LPO. Two sensors and a DPDT switch and you've got whatever info you want, when you want it. I have opted to take my FP sensor and move it to check LPO, then put it back on the fuel port permanently.

If your boost goes over 30 PSI, you need a boost gauge - the MAP can't read that high, and you're better off putting a boost fooler on the MAP line. I blew my MAP sensor with too much boost on an old part.

Trans is on OBDII, you are correct.

Something to think about:

Now watch how I have all that bling, and everybody busts my chops over a worn steering wheel.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Yeah, my steering wheel is getting a little worn too--maybe it'll look like that in two more years . I take it from other posts that is Torque running on some kind of Android tablet. Thanks for the good ideas and food for thought.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
As for your question about the App Radio, I'm not sold on anything on the market just yet... but they are improving. There are a lot of Chinese imports that have more capability than the local variety, but they are of questionable quality and compatibility. They all use old versions of Android and can't be upgraded because the processor can't handle it.

I have used and seen plenty of tablets of all varieties (including iOS), but my Nexus 7 (2013) with KitKat 4.4 kicks their ***. It's not just resolution, power, and speed - it's also compatibility with all my other computing hardware and available Apps.

The market for aftermarket App Radios is about to explode, but it's still waiting for the "killer product" as a catalyst. Android is going to be in future OEM head units, but the current units have Microsoft Sync... and it sucks (in my opinion).

To tie in with this, I have been anticipating a new OBDII port adaptor - [LINK]. After all of my experimentation, Bluetooth is pretty good - but it has quirks that I don't like. I'll be trying one of these WiFi units to see if it's more stable. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it had a USB port in addition to the WiFi like the old unit - this would be a solid connection to a proper App Radio.

The best option might be USB only - no opportunity for RF interference in our EMF-rich world. This assumes you can get an App Radio with the capability to use Torque Pro or Dash Command through the USB port. Torque Pro is the heavy hitter on our rigs, because Dash Command can't see a couple of key PIDs on our trucks that Torque can (so far).

If you look at that picture above, you can see an iPhone sitting face-down. iOS flat sucks at what I want to do, so there it sits... waiting for a phone call, email, or text - which it does just fine for these functions.