Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Elder User

speakerfritz is starting off with a positive reputation.
DIY transmission fluid exchange write up

kudos to "greasyfingers" on thedieselstop forum for posting.

has anyone tried this DIY transmission fluid exchange

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...92vC6EK109XFvw

Hellwig 7677Rear Sway Bar; Hellwig 61904 Pro-Series Helper Spring with Silent Feature; 2 ofRancho Suspension/Monroe RS999046 Rear Rancho RS9000; 2 of Rancho RS999042RS9000XL Series Shock; Rancho RS98510 Steering Stabilizer Kit; Dee Zee DZ43203Tailgate Assist Shock
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Senior User

CollinsCD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice write up but not sure I want to go to all the trouble of trying to build this rig for changing out my fluid. Plus, I have very limited welding experience especially on propane tanks.

1979 F-350 4x4
1979 F-250 Utility
2010 F-250 Super Duty 5.4
Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
It's a homemade heated flush machine. Cool!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Senior User

BossGasser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BossGasser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is a really good idea!!
Although I would use a new vessel of some kind not one that is contaminated. I wouldn't run LPG residue through my tranny.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I did see one thing I disagree with in his procedure. He says to start the truck and let it run until both the engine and trans gauges are in the middle. This will only guarantee that the trans is above 50F, nowhere near warm enough to do this procedure even with a heated machine. The truck needs to be driven, and possibly with the trans cooler covered with cardboard to get the trans warmed up.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
My local dealer charges $170 for a Torqshift transmission flush. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of building the device.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

Number21 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford View Post
My local dealer charges $170 for a Torqshift transmission flush. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of building the device.
If you can't build something like that for less than $170 you lose your google rights. Propane tank is $30 brand new if you can't handle a used one. Heater element is $20. Surely the other crap can be put together for less than $120. Even if you had to pay a guy to weld it that shouldn't cost much. Honestly I probably have 90% of that crap laying around the shop.

Of course the real savings comes when you do it more than once. And the fact that I won't take my truck to the dealer for anything out of principle alone...
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Senior User

droldsmorland is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Or drain, drop the pan, clean off magnet, re install pan, refill. Drive 10 miles drain again and refill. $75 of fluid. Of course this will work for a standard service change interval not a trans with a grossly over due fluid change or heavy contamination. Still $170 isnt all that bad...IF you can find a dealer with the heated flusher.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by droldsmorland View Post
Or drain, drop the pan, clean off magnet, re install pan, refill. Drive 10 miles drain again and refill. $75 of fluid.
If you do this, you've changed half the fluid if you are lucky. Take half of that used ATF that comes out and mix it with half a new quart. It will still be very dirty, and that's what's left in your trans. I see no reason to bother taking the pan off if that's all you are going to do, the magnet does not need to be cleaned regularly.

If you've kept your trans clean with regular drains/fills from the pan you probably don't need to worry about this. If you've let your fluid get dirty, or, bought a truck that is dirty, just draining the pan will take many many cycles to actually make the fluid clean.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
I really like the concept, but I don't like the lack of precision for the fluid being pumped back in.

Would you be able to set up a sealed recovery tank that you plumb the old fluid into. Connect a vent line to the top of the tank and run it to the top of the new fluid tank. As old fluid is pumped into the tank from the transmission the displaced air would flow through the line to the new fluid tank and build pressure. That pressure would force new fluid back through the return line and back into the transmission. If there were no leaks the exact amount of fluid that was pumped out of the transmission would be pumped back in, assuming of course the temperatures of the fluids were the same.

What do you guys think?

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 08-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I really like the concept, but I don't like the lack of precision for the fluid being pumped back in.

Would you be able to set up a sealed recovery tank that you plumb the old fluid into. Connect a vent line to the top of the tank and run it to the top of the new fluid tank. As old fluid is pumped into the tank from the transmission the displaced air would flow through the line to the new fluid tank and build pressure. That pressure would force new fluid back through the return line and back into the transmission. If there were no leaks the exact amount of fluid that was pumped out of the transmission would be pumped back in, assuming of course the temperatures of the fluids were the same.

What do you guys think?
I think that's how the commercial machines work. I've wondered if you could modify a water pressure tank with a bladder inside like you would use for a well. Not sure if it could take the heat...
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Senior User

droldsmorland is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
If you do this, you've changed half the fluid if you are lucky. Take half of that used ATF that comes out and mix it with half a new quart. It will still be very dirty, and that's what's left in your trans. I see no reason to bother taking the pan off if that's all you are going to do, the magnet does not need to be cleaned regularly.

If you've kept your trans clean with regular drains/fills from the pan you probably don't need to worry about this. If you've let your fluid get dirty, or, bought a truck that is dirty, just draining the pan will take many many cycles to actually make the fluid clean.
That is more or less what my post suggests.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty