Sponsored by: Moser

Another 460 swap in a F100, Hitting the ground running

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 AM
MaxxHavoc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 460 swap in a F100, Hitting the ground running

So I recently bought a '73 F-100 2wd truck as a project truck for my daughter and I. She originally wanted a '67 fastback but that wasn't in the budget and we stumbled across the '73. We both liked it at and it came home with us. It came with several challenges off the bat. No brake lights, Ford flicker head light problem, radio dead, no horn, ran like crap, wipers constant on unless you find the sweet spot in between positions, had 4.56 gears(at least it was a posi) that made the RPM's way to high at highway speed. I got lucky on the gears and came across a guy that had a 3.50 posi pumpkin, and we just did a straight across swap.... oh and we ran out of gas on the drive home. I told my daughter it was a learning experience Here's a few of pics. It's on the ramps now preparing to start tearing out the 351M tomorrow.

So far I have fixed most of the above problems primarily with the help of you all and this site. Except the engine is still a little temper mental. Runs a lot better but occasionally doesn't want to restart after running a while. It is a 351M that has atleast 140k on it. I recently ran across a deal on Craigslist for a rebuilt 460. I snatched it up and have been reading up on whats needed for the swap. I have gathered most of what I need but will have a couple more questions for those of you in the know that I haven't figured out in my many hours of reading and searching here. But I will save that for another thread. Here are some pics of the motor that's in it and the new one with the growing pile of parts to put it all together.

I also posted this in the intro section but seems more appropriate here
I have more questions that I will post later but figured I'd share a bit about the truck first. I wanted to say thanks to all of you for all the great info here!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Really nice father/daughter project!
Welcome, there are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here.
Any questions you have, ask away. Were here always ready to help.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
good looking truck but,the best part is its being done with your daughter. GOOD LUCK and i hope you both stick with it.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good looking truck. You two have fun with it!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Welcome Max. Like others have stated don't hesitate to ask questions. As there are many knowledgeable people here. That sure is a nice starting point for a project. And I'm sure one that will only help you to bond more with your daughter. Just be sure to actually let her help if and when she wants to. Might I suggest that you get another set of taillight lenses for the truck. I noticed that it has blue dot lenses right now, and the last I checked they were NOT DOT approved. Meaning that's a big red flag for you/your daughter to get stopped and fined for having them. Also will keep your truck from passing state safety inspection. That is if your state/states have them. I noticed you listed 2 states for your location. What else do you and your daughter have planned for the truck? Can't wait to watch this build take off. Good luck and have fun with it.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Oh forgot to mention that (and I'm sure you already know this) that your daughter has excellent taste in vehicles. Especially trucks.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Love the color combo/scheme. I had a 70 Ranger XLT like that and have never seen another. Nice truck!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Nice start, this should be fun

Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Awesome starting point! This should be fun. Subscribed.

... and what is the wheel and tire size combination? That's the first Dent I've seen to use those wheels.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM
MaxxHavoc
New User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Really nice father/daughter project!
Welcome, there are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here.
Any questions you have, ask away. Were here always ready to help.
Thanks mike. One question that comes to mind is I've seen numberdummy list the parts needed for the swap in several posts. He mentions needing the support bracket and rubber mount for the C6 tranny that is specific for a 460 power plant.

But I've also read others post that is was a direct swap to a C6 when swapping out a 351m/400 to the 460. Is that support bracket and rubber mount needed for positioning or maybe those parts are a bit bigger for extra strength? Something I could go without? The support bracket is a obsolete part that would require scrounging at junkyards, but the rubber mount is still available.

@Bud Mud & teds74ford
Thanks for the compliments, it has been fun and we will keep at it. The 351 is just about ready to yank out. Should be out and will start cleaning and prepping the engine bay tomorrow.

Originally Posted by paredneck33
Welcome Max. Like others have stated don't hesitate to ask questions. As there are many knowledgeable people here. That sure is a nice starting point for a project. And I'm sure one that will only help you to bond more with your daughter. Just be sure to actually let her help if and when she wants to. Might I suggest that you get another set of taillight lenses for the truck. I noticed that it has blue dot lenses right now, and the last I checked they were NOT DOT approved. Meaning that's a big red flag for you/your daughter to get stopped and fined for having them. Also will keep your truck from passing state safety inspection. That is if your state/states have them. I noticed you listed 2 states for your location. What else do you and your daughter have planned for the truck? Can't wait to watch this build take off. Good luck and have fun with it. Oh forgot to mention that (and I'm sure you already know this) that your daughter has excellent taste in vehicles. Especially trucks
Thanks paredneck. I try and get her to help as much as she can. Another set of tail lights may be in our future I listed two states because I live in southern Washington 5 miles from the Oregon border and work in Oregon so its kind of a 50/50 deal.
As far as other plans... after the drive train is dialed in we plan to possibly lower it maybe put it on bags. Iron out some other bugs, and get the interior straight. Then ideally we would be ready for a frame off restoration and swap out the front end for a Crown Vic setup. But all that is a ways down the road.
Yes my daughter has good taste.... It's hereditary

Originally Posted by lance65
Love the color combo/scheme. I had a 70 Ranger XLT like that and have never seen another. Nice truck!
Thanks lance. It will need to be redone at some point but I like the combo too.

@ford_pickup
Thanks for the compliment

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Awesome starting point! This should be fun. Subscribed.

... and what is the wheel and tire size combination? That's the first Dent I've seen to use those wheels.

Thanks HIO
The wheel/tire combo is 275/45R20. Not sure of the wheel manufacture, they came with the truck when we bought it.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM
61steven
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like that rear bumper! It looks pretty slick with the exhaust through it. Anyone know who sells something like that?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lucky kid, that is MUCH nicer than the truck I plan to get my daughter when the time comes.

Curious about the ignition setup in the truck. It has an aftermarket HEI and looks like a Duraspark box mounted on the firewall, were both in use or was the Duraspark bypassed?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 AM
MaxxHavoc
New User
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Lucky kid, that is MUCH nicer than the truck I plan to get my daughter when the time comes.

Curious about the ignition setup in the truck. It has an aftermarket HEI and looks like a Duraspark box mounted on the firewall, were both in use or was the Duraspark bypassed?

The HEI replaced the Duraspark to try and get the aging 351M back in shape and the other just wasn't completely removed yet. The Duraspark and its wiring will get yanked out later today after the motor is out.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was mainly confused by the odd location of the Duraspark box, then again that truck left the factory with points.

Looks like your (you daughter's) HEI distributor is one of the generic Ebay types, if that's the case then I suggest you either double pin the Roll Pin or put in a solid pin as they have a habit of shearing the Roll Pin.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
another thing id do is get ride of as much of that rubber gas line as you can, mainly around the engine,they make a pre bent replacement steel one from the fuel pump to the carb.

Quick Reply: Another 460 swap in a F100, Hitting the ground running